PDA

View Full Version : What about the Fruita campground at Capitol Reef?

Wasatch Rebel
02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
If you have ever camped at this campground, I need to know all you can tell me about it. Specifically, I'm wondering about heat, insects, proximity of showers etc. I'll be going there in mid to late August.

TreeHugger
02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
It's nice, and it's convenient. There is an area for tents only, otherwise, it's a standard, national park campground - RV's people, etc. The bathrooms are nice and there is some great hiking right from the campground.

Wasatch Rebel
02-24-2008, 08:25 AM
The website shows that there are showers within 12 miles, but do you have any idea where? Also, we were there in May of last year (just a few hours, not camping) and there were a bunch of no-see-um bugs that bit. Any idea if these are seasonal, or if they are there all the time? Do you know if there are water spouts at the campground?

nelsonccc
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
The website shows that there are showers within 12 miles, but do you have any idea where? Also, we were there in May of last year (just a few hours, not camping) and there were a bunch of no-see-um bugs that bit. Any idea if these are seasonal, or if they are there all the time? Do you know if there are water spouts at the campground?

We were going to stay there last July but got tipped off that there were better camping spots nearby. So after researching it we stayed at one of the campgrounds on the north slope of the boulder mt, off of the paved road that goes from Boulder to Capitol Reef. We drove into the park every day and it was only like a 20 minute drive, but there were no bugs, only a few people, and much more tolerable temps. Very scenic too. god luck.

Wasatch Rebel
02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
We were going to stay there last July but got tipped off that there were better camping spots nearby. So after researching it we stayed at one of the campgrounds on the north slope of the boulder mt, off of the paved road that goes from Boulder to Capitol Reef. We drove into the park every day and it was only like a 20 minute drive, but there were no bugs, only a few people, and much more tolerable temps. Very scenic too. god luck.

That's a great idea. Were these improved campsites with running water and restrooms, and can I get there in a passenger car?

jb
02-27-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/fishlake/recreation/camping/fr.shtml

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/intermtn/fish.htm

http://www.publiclands.org/explore/site.php?plicstate=UT&id=1273

Wasatch Rebel
02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks jb!

nelsonccc
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM

That's a great idea. Were these improved campsites with running water and restrooms, and can I get there in a passenger car?

Yep. Toilets and running water when i was there. No bugs. Also the campground we stayed at had a nice little hike to a big waterfall. Easy for the kids.

nelsonccc
03-03-2008, 08:46 PM

I got a few pics of the campsite area if you're interested.

Mooseman70
03-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Post them, please! :nod:

Wasatch Rebel
03-08-2008, 11:43 AM

Yes, please post them. Sorry, I've been out of town for the past few days and am only now getting to reading these posts.

TreeHugger
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Here are a couple of pics from the campground perspective.

pestopolis
03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
late august will be a great time. Mosquiteos will have mellowed down, and I dont think you'll have trouble with noseums. Peachs should be ripe for the picking. Apples will probably be ready too. The showers you were referring to are likely in Torrey. The campground has tons of trees, so shade won't be a problem. Take your bike and take a spin around in the evening time. even though the campground always fills up, as long as you are there before 10:00 am you should not have trouble finding a spot. Loop C is the best, and if you like the ranger programs, you are right next to the amphitheater. Have fun.

nelsonccc
03-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Yes, please post them. Sorry, I've been out of town for the past few days and am only now getting to reading these posts.

Sorry for the delay, I've been super busy. I've posted the few i have from the campground. They give you an idea of the terrain.

Wasatch Rebel
05-31-2008, 06:18 PM
I just got back here again. Do you know for sure what the name of that campsite was? It sure looks nice there.

Scott P
05-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Do you know for sure what the name of that campsite was? It sure looks nice there.

The name of the campground being referred to is Single Tree.

Wasatch Rebel
06-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks. I was guessing that was the one.