PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Lunar Eclipse

gonzo
02-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Anyone planning on shooting the eclipse on Wednesday night? Right now it looks like the forecast calls for clouds or possibly even snow that evening, but I might be heading out with some buddies to look for a clear sky. (Crossing my fingers).

I'll probably rent a lens - I don't think my 85mm will do the moon justice - any suggestions on what I should use?

accadacca
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Just down the list a bit. :haha: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10311

I would love to see what you guys come up with. :popcorn:

CarpeyBiggs
02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm planning on being out. Haven't decided where I'll be. Forecast isn't looking great.

The biggest obstacle for the lunar eclipse is having a long lens. But the longer the lens, the more motion blur you'll get. So... I'd probably say a 300 f4 is a good compromise. I am going to try and shoot it on my 600, and use some stacking techniques to eliminate the blur.

Where you planning on going?

gonzo
02-18-2008, 06:25 PM
My buddy, who is a non-member* wants to go out to Tooele County, but we haven't settled on an exact location. Right now the plans are to hang out until 8:30 or 9:00 PM, and then head back, but I'm going to try to convince him to hang out until the entire eclipse is over.

I'm not 100% on going - it really depends on what Rosie (my baby) is doing. If she's grumpy, or if it's too cold and cloudly, I'll likely stay home.

I just checked Pictureline, and it looks like it's $50 to rent a 300mm f2.8. That's a little rich for me right now, so I may end up just observing.

*Not a Bogley member, that is.

accadacca
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
*Not a Bogley member, that is.
Wha? Preposterous. . . :haha:

accadacca
02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
You guys get anything? :ne_nau:

CarpeyBiggs
02-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Nope. Horribly cloudy for hundreds of miles around Salt Lake. In fact, most of the United States had poor viewing conditions. Guess there's always December 2010...

accadacca
02-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Sucks man. Figured as much.

Cirrus2000
02-23-2008, 09:24 PM
I was working during the eclipse, and for most of the totality it was obscured by cloud. Toward the end, the moon came peeking out, then sailed into brilliant view. Looked really great - phoned home and told my wife to take the kids out to see it. Very odd to have the sky visible in Vancouver and not in Salt Lake.

Wish I'd had a camera with me...