PDA

View Full Version : Miss Me Canyon (wash) tell me about it

brian
02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I hate to say that I was once suckered by the luring sight of Miss Me wash ( the wash to the west of Mystery)
Some friends and I were so set on NOT going into the wash that we actually went right up to mystery thinking it was Miss Me, laughed about how we werent going to get suckered into it, and headed into miss me.
it didnt take us to long before we realized (completely) that we were in the wrong canyon, and decided to get out. Our options were either continue on down and find out what happens, or backtrack up a sandy cliff. We backtracked, made it out, came back prepared and did mystery. However, I have always wondered what was down Miss Me. It looked fun, adventurous, and i know 'out of bounds' but it keeps poping up in my mind. I was wondering if anyone has done it, and if so would you please enlighten me since I will probably not get the chance myself.

Anyone else gone down Miss Me?

tanya
02-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Hi Brian.... welcome to the group. I always like to see those from the Southwest join! I think Bo has done a rescue from that canyon --- not sure, but he might be able to fill us in on that one?

Bo_Beck
02-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Hi Brian.... welcome to the group. I always like to see those from the Southwest join! I think Bo has done a rescue from that canyon --- not sure, but he might be able to fill us in on that one?

http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/zionrescue1.htm

We were flown up and put down inside the canyon by a helicopter just below the east rim. We did 2-3 rappels in a somewhat open/bushy canyon before arriving at the last drop about 500' above the Riverside Walk. Not a particularly interesting "Canyon", but yes...the canyon is off limits because the last rappel(s) put the tourists below at risk of rockfall.

James_B_Wads2000
02-16-2008, 07:57 AM
I always thought Miss-Me was the canyon to the east of the Mystery drop in that leads to Orderville canyon. Has anyone ever been all the way down this one?

James

trackrunner
02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
I always thought Miss-Me was the canyon to the east of the Mystery drop in that leads to Orderville canyon. Has anyone ever been all the way down this one?

James
If anyone has I bet Tom Jones has. Actually I remember reading somthing about Mr Jones doing a canyon that drops into Orderville by Mystery and there was only one rappel and not very interesting. Possibly it was on this site. I think it was the canyon you are talking about. I could be wrong. I'll let him correct me and get it right.

edit: this is the post that I remembered. Now I'm not so sure.
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86040#86040

Iceaxe
02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
The Canyon to the west of Mystery I have always known as "Not-Mystery". I've talked to a couple of people who have done it including Bo who's story is linked about.

The Canyon to the East of Mystery we have always called "South Fork of Orderville" for lack of a better name. We did it around 1990. Not much of interest, at least I didn't figure it was worth putting on my website. Somewhere I have a TR I wrote on the canyon, I'll see if I can find it and post it.

If I understand Tom's "Not Worth It" correctly it is north over the ridge from the Mystery dogleg. I've never done that canyon.

:popcorn:

trackrunner
02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
If I understand Tom's "Not Worth It" correctly it is north over the ridge from the Mystery dogleg. I've never done that canyon.

Yeah when I read Tom's post again I thought he described the canyon north of the dog leg too.

I tried to find the names of the other drainages on a topo map but could not find them.

Describe the South fork of Orderville. Where there any raps etc.? Not that I'm dying to go out and do it; I'm just curious because I looked on the map and thought some of the canyons that drain in Orderville could be used to escape and/or turn Englstead into a loop hike. Just wondering if there is any beta on it.

Iceaxe
02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
If I remember correctly.... There was one rap in the South Fork of Orderville. I believe you could climb around it with a little route finding, but I never tried.

oldno7
02-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Your south fork of Orderville sounds very intersting, waiting for your TR. :2thumbs:

oldno7
02-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Ice
did you forget us???
still very interested in the 1990 TR :rockon:

Iceaxe
02-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Ice
did you forget us???
still very interested in the 1990 TR :rockon:

1990 was a typo.... it would be a 1999 TR (maybe 2000). And no, I haven't forgotten you. Just haven't been able to located it yet, I still have a couple more places to look.

:popcorn:

oldno7
02-20-2008, 08:51 AM
cool- :2thumbs:

tanya
02-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Ice
did you forget us???

He is like that! Even to me!!!! :roll:

:lol8:

Iceaxe
02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
I can find nothing on SF of Orderville. I just remember it was hot, scratchy, one crappy rappel and not much fun.

But I do like Tanya's new avatar. :slobber:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/images/avatars/131524084347bbce62318c3.jpg

oldno7
02-20-2008, 09:43 AM
well thanks for looking anyway.

yea--the new avatar is HOT