PDA

View Full Version : I sold a gun

shlingdawg
02-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm feeling a discussion coming on. After reading some head-in-the-sand comments on KSL.com about how the gun shop that sold the Trolley-Square Bosnian a shotgun needs to be held liable - I had to ask.......

So.......

A while ago, I sold a gun - a handgun - on the internet. I can't tell you who bought it (because I don't remember). I don't have any record of it. Now, I bought the gun from a guy that lives somewhere in Provo. No records of me buying the gun, or me selling the gun exist. No background check was performed. Not even a bill of sale exists on either transaction. All deals were done w/ cash.

So - hypothetically speaking - the guy that I sold the gun to goes into the Gateway and shoots a bunch of people. Police kill him and there lay the gun that used to be mine, and someone elses and now the killers.

Who they gonna blame? :ne_nau:

REDFOX
02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I am guessing that they will blame the person who's name is tagged to the serial number during the original purchase.

Glockguy
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Yes you could get screwed but the chances are slim.

Anytime you make private sale you should check their ID. Make sure they are of legal age to own the type of firearm you are selling.

I would only sale to people who have a CCW but that is just me.

At the very least you should provide bill of sale and have them sign it saying they are of legal age to won the weapon. That way of some gang banger shoots someone or does something else illegal with it you can have something to cover your butt.

This is especially true of you bought the firearm retail and it is registered to you.

shlingdawg
02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I think that regardless of the circumstances surrounding how the killer obtained the weapon, 100% of the blame should rest on his/her shoulders for making the decision to kill innocent people.

Who would we blame if these nutjobs stopped going into public places with handguns and shotguns (see NIU shooting yesterday) and started copycatting those crazy arabs and strapping bombs to themselves? Taking 5 times as many people with them?

I'm just tired of all these people that think that tougher gun control laws are going to remedy the situation. It baffles my mind that these people think that ANY law stops a criminal. Obtaining a firearm is just too easy, laws aside.

Sombeech
02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I've sold a potato gun before. I'm just relieved it takes so long to reload, so casualties will remain low.

shagster
02-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I agree check the ID and get a bill of sale for sure. I have checked with several local agencies and there is not law against privatley selling a firearm, but always COVER YOUR OWN A**..... :2thumbs:

trackrunner
02-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok I understand your point. Agree that it is pretty hard to have criminals abide by the law. I thought I remember reading in the paper that the shot gun sold by the store could not be legally sold to the shooter. That was the reason for going after the store. If I understand correctly had it been a legal sale then the store had covered its hide.

But if the paper got it wrong I