PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Prep Football Player Fakes Singing Day Press Conferen

trackrunner
02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xQE87qfLpqM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R6hTgqUzsnI/AAAAAAAAE6E/yU1ddwrj_Uc/s400/KevinHart.jpg

Kevin Hart

Iceaxe
02-12-2008, 03:59 PM
A lot of red flags should have popped up before the kid made everyone look like a dumbass.....

I never heard of a college recruiting/offering/signing a kid without doing a lot of talking with his HS coach.

What the hell were the parents thinking? Didn't they find it odd that the kid had never been invited for an official or even unofficial visit? Most recruits are invited to and attend the college summer camps as a JR and SR....

Anyone who knows anything about college football should have been able to call bullshit on this from 5 miles away....

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum

But I have to say.... it is pretty funny he pulled it off as far as he did. :lol8:

Mooseman70
02-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Forrest Gump's famous quote pretty much sums this one up.........

"Stupid is as stupid does." :lol8:

trackrunner
02-12-2008, 04:11 PM
I remember going through the recruiting process. Maybe he fooled everyone by faking the recruiting process. Maybe he had some call for him, maybe he took trips on his own to these places to make it seem like he was being recruited. Remember that guy Mark Hacking (?) that killed his wife when his lies got caught. He wrote fake college essays, attended fake college classes, studied for the MCAT, fake med school application process to UNC, fake acceptance letters. Maybe this kid wanted it just as bad and did the same.

How did he think he could get away with this lie when it got so big. It may have started out with

Iceaxe
02-12-2008, 04:21 PM
[quote=trackrunner]since wasn

trackrunner
02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
[quote=Iceaxe][quote=trackrunner]since wasn

Sombeech
02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
So which law did he break?

CarpeyBiggs
02-12-2008, 09:44 PM

He lied in a police investigation, he said he paid someone to help him get recruited, then it turns out it was a lie. In most states, that's a crime. :lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Also, Ice, the reason nobody questioned him is because nobody from his high school had EVER played D1 football, which is why they made a big deal of it all. His coaches, family, administrators all had no idea what standard protocol is.

Sombeech
02-13-2008, 06:47 AM

He lied in a police investigation, he said he paid someone to help him get recruited, then it turns out it was a lie. In most states, that's a crime. :lol8:

Police investigation? The police heard he got recruited, and started interrogating him?

Obviously I meant, why were the police involved in the first place.

CarpeyBiggs
02-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Police investigation? The police heard he got recruited, and started interrogating him?

The police got involved because he said someone duped him.

Iceaxe
02-13-2008, 07:46 AM
He lied in a police investigation, he said he paid someone to help him get recruited, then it turns out it was a lie.

FWIW: (I'm sure crappy already knows this) Hiring someone to help a prospect get recruited and guide him through the recruiting minefield is common practice.

Also, Ice, the reason nobody questioned him is because nobody from his high school had EVER played D1 football, which is why they made a big deal of it all. His coaches, family, administrators all had no idea what standard protocol is.

OK, that makes some sense.

I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to get a scholarship to a D1 school. They only give out approximately 2100 scholarships each year. Evey school gets 85 total scholarships, this is usually spread out over 5 years with red shirts, and a school can only give a max of 25 scholships each year.

If I understand this correctly.... the kid holds a press conference and tells everyone he got a scholarship to Cal..... this would be big news in Cals war room the minute it hit Rivals and Scout, this recruiting stuff is very serious business...... So Cal goes WTF? and starts making calls..... trying to duck the shit storm heading his way the kid tells Cal he "hired someone" to look after his recruiting.... and then Cal calls the police to report a fraud.... and then.....

:popcorn:

Sombeech
02-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Alright, I see. I'm beginning to understand the "serve and protect" motto a little better now.

Iceaxe
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
And it just keeps snowballing.....

A Nevada high school football coach whose player faked his recruitment filed a defamation suit against school district officials Thursday, accusing them of trying to make him the scapegoat in the embarrassing hoax.

Fernley High School Coach Mark Hodges is seeking more than $20,000 from the Lyon County School District and school board members after the scam in which Kevin Hart claimed he had been recruited to play for two Pac-10 schools.

Hart later claimed he had been the victim of an impostor posing as a recruiting promoter before he apologized Feb. 6 and admitted that he had made the story up.

DirkHammergate
02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
And it just keeps snowballing.....

A Nevada high school football coach whose player faked his recruitment filed a defamation suit against school district officials Thursday, accusing them of trying to make him the scapegoat in the embarrassing hoax.

Fernley High School Coach Mark Hodges is seeking more than $20,000 from the Lyon County School District and school board members after the scam in which Kevin Hart claimed he had been recruited to play for two Pac-10 schools.

Hart later claimed he had been the victim of an impostor posing as a recruiting promoter before he apologized Feb. 6 and admitted that he had made the story up.

My Best Friend graduated from Cal and is a very intense athletic booster, he told me about five days before this kids press conference he started popping up on the boards with headlines like "Tedford finds a hidden Gem" and "I've never heard of this guy but he must be a diamond in the rough"....

We've gone the rounds on this, I'm convinced if he had put a Utah State hat on it might have stuck. My buddy went wild cause he's claimed Cal has totally arrived and they could buy that kind of free press. I feel bad for the kid, he just couldn't let it go and think of the ridicule he's under now in that small little town. Its not like he can just disappear. Ouch.

DirkHammergate
02-15-2008, 11:35 AM
And he certainly doesn't look like a D1 player just from the look of him and the surrounding people in the gym.

Iceaxe
02-15-2008, 11:49 AM
And he certainly doesn't look like a D1 player just from the look of him and the surrounding people in the gym.

Hart is listed as 6'-5 1/2, 320 pounds..... he certainly has the size.

The kid probably really hurt his future football chances. He should have headed to a JC and hoped his athletic ability catches up to his size as he matures.

:popcorn:

Sombeech
02-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I feel bad for the kid, he just couldn't let it go and think of the ridicule he's under now in that small little town. Its not like he can just disappear. Ouch.

That's probably why he continues to let it ride. He'll probably keep denying the fraud until the day he dies.

...Now if he were using steroids, I'd say it's time to get Congress involved.

CarpeyBiggs
02-15-2008, 12:17 PM
320 pounds? I doubt that. I'd say 280 tops.

If he is that big, he must really be terrible if he couldn't get some more attention. Sounds like he needs some better mentors around in a bunch of different aspects of life.

CarpeyBiggs
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
That's probably why he continues to let it ride. He'll probably keep denying the fraud until the day he dies.

...Now if he were using steroids, I'd say it's time to get Congress involved.

Denying what? He already admitted he made the whole thing up.

Sombeech
02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
poop

Iceaxe
02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
320 pounds? I doubt that.

That's what Scout had him listed at. Rivals didn't even have him on the board.

I tryed to find some game film or a recruiting highlight tape of the kid, but there is none out there.... this kids got nothing....

trackrunner
02-18-2008, 05:56 PM
320 pounds? I doubt that. I'd say 280 tops.

If he is that big, he must really be terrible if he couldn't get some more attention. Sounds like he needs some better mentors around in a bunch of different aspects of life.
bump

Close. This news article says 290 lbs. But hey maybe this kid lied about his weight too.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23174437/

trackrunner
12-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Bump

So I was wondering what happend to this kid. He's playing Juco ball now.

http://www.wildwestsports.com/wMessage.aspx?board=Football&mess=0&id=634839

Prep Football: Putting the past behind him
By chris gabel

DiscGo
12-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the update on this story. I have thought about this story so much since it first broke. I just can't believe this kid tried to get away with this.