PDA

View Full Version : Zion Rules?

Johnlithon
02-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a curfew in the park. I would like to do some night hiking and take some star trail pics, but don't know if this is an option. Thanks for any info. :2thumbs:

tanya
02-12-2008, 08:49 AM
You can hike all night long, but if you are in a parked car at night expect the rangers to knock on your window and make you get out of the car! They are freakish about anyone sleeping in their cars or for that matter even sitting and talking in them.

Johnlithon
02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Great thanks for the info.

Johnlithon
02-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Another question, do you think angels landing is doable in the dark? If not any suggestions for hikes with good sweeping overlooks that are doable at night? Thanks again for any info.

tanya
02-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I would not mind doing it in the dark. I have hiked down from the top once just as it was turning dark. A big, bright full moon sure helped though!

trackrunner
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Another question, do you think angels landing is doable in the dark?
I must point out when are you planning to do this? Current conditions in the park are a lot of snow and ice on the trails. Angels Landing right now at night with ice and snow or any other exposed trails: I'd say no, too risky. If you slipped your gone. YMMV

If not any suggestions for hikes with good sweeping overlooks that are doable at night?
Other good overlooks to consider might be observation point off the East Rim Trail. I have yet to do Cable Mountain or Deer Trap but imagine there might be some good overlooks there too. All of these are off the East Rim trail. Again same warning.

Johnlithon
02-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up I was wondering about that. I was planning on doing it this weekend, but if conditions are as you state i guess that might not happen. Also thanks for the suggestions on alternatives. :five:

trackrunner
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
On Monday I hiked up with the new born to Walt's Wigles in Refeferator canyon on the way to Angles Landing. There was a lot of snow and ice in Refegerator Canyon. We turn around at the switch backs to save it for another day (didn't want to trip with the little guy). You might be able to go up in the day, its the night part that might be a little scarry with ice comming down the ridge on the cliff.