PDA

View Full Version : Leperchaun Canyon History

Iceaxe
02-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Leperchaun Canyon History... or... Daddy, where do tech slots come from?

I found this today as I was cleaning up files on my computer and thought some of you might find it of interest..... Here is the original beta from a hiking website that we had to work with in regards to finding and exploring Leprechaun Canyon. It's kind of funny to think that this small blurb opened up one of technical canyoneerings now classic hot spots. This was the key to unlocking the entire Irish Canyons and North Wash system.

Leprechaun Canyon
A slot canyon treat . . . if you can find it.

Leprechaun Canyon is a great canyon to hike if you are short on time and passing between Hanksville and Lake Powell. This canyon can be hiked in less than 90 minutes and has two excellent slot portions as well as a narrows and subway section. The first slot twists and turns tightly leading to a tight narrows section which is followed by a subway and then another tight slot. It is located just off highway 95 to the west of Lake Powell. To find it will require a bit of searching within a half mile to a mile area. Go to the turn to Bullfrog Marina and highway 276, then head east on highway 95 for about two miles keeping an eye open for a small knob of rock to the north just to the right of the mouth of an average-looking canyon. Someone thought the knob looked a bit like porky the pig. There is a two track to the right of the wash that leads towards it before ending abruptly. The mouth of the canyon is no more than 100 yards from the road and the slot is about one half mile up the dry creek bed. If you are passing by on the way to somewhere else, this will provide a nice leg stretching opportunity, and is well worth the time.

jumar
02-06-2008, 08:15 AM
That's pretty cool :2thumbs:

stefan
02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
ahhh, sweetness shane. thanks!! i remember reading about this website you found as i was reading the archives. and wondering what information it told ... and this was the origin of the name leprechaun, if i remember correctly.

Iceaxe
02-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah... I actually tracked the name a little further. The canyon was named after a radio DJ in Silverton Colorado who had a program called the "Psychedelic Leprechaun".

The story goes... The DJ told the hiker who posted the original beta about the canyon. So when the hiker posted the beta he called it Leprechaun in honor of his friend who supplied the beta.

And here you all probably thought the slot got its name for being skinny.... I find a large number of canyons have interesting stories behind our "silly" names.

:popcorn:

Scott Card
02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I find a large number of canyons have interesting stories behind our "silly" names.

:popcorn:
I still like your or who ever came up with the name, "Not Behunin" as my favorite canyon name. Now we just need a canyon to which we can attach that name. I thought the gunsight entrance to Heaps would be an appropriate re-name to "Not Behunin" :haha: