PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New Camera

Brewhaha
02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I've talked the boss into letting me upgrade to a dslr and have settled on a Canon 40D. My next challenge is to find the best place to purchase it online. Where do you go online ot get your gear? What types of sites should I be wary of?

I've noticed a huge difference in prices from site to site. Even for similar packages/kits.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Win
02-05-2008, 12:36 PM
B&H is pretty much about the most respected place to buy. I have also used Beach Camera/ Buydig and had very good luck. Shipping is included from Beach/Buydig.

If you see the really cheap pricing on line, BEWARE!! go to www.resellerratings.com to check the companies Feedback.

Win

CarpeyBiggs
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
B&H

waltny
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
B&H
I guess we are just cut out of different molds, you say B&H and I say adorama. You say canon, I say nikon..... :ne_nau: Just having some fun there Dan, but I do almost exclusive do my camera shopping at Adorama.

CarpeyBiggs
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
B&H
I guess we are just cut out of different molds, you say B&H and I say adorama. You say canon, I say nikon..... :ne_nau: Just having some fun there Dan, but I do almost exclusive do my camera shopping at Adorama.

LOL. To be fair, I'd put Adorama just below B&H. But I'm no Nikon hater, I just own Canon. :2thumbs:

joethelion
02-06-2008, 06:29 AM
I higly recommend Pictureline, in Salt Lake City:

http://www.pictureline.com/

Ciao!!

Marco

JP
02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
B&H, Cameta, e-Bay's auction stuff...you get pretty sweet deals in there :2thumbs:

waltny
02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
B&H, Cameta, e-Bay's auction stuff...you get pretty sweet deals in there :2thumbs:
On ebay you have to beware of grey market stuff

PhotoHound
02-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Just to chuck my two cents in, if you're not adverse to buying used gear you can save a few hundred dealing with some of the good people on Fred Miranda: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10 or a smaller group at Digital Grin: http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=18

I myself have to admit to usually ordering from B&H also; they have a great reputation and pretty decent prices. They too sell used gear, and buy it as well. Nothing against Adorama; I think they are for the most part similar (if not nearly identical) to B&H.

Brewhaha
02-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Here's a tale of caution:

Before I made the original post I was searching the internet and found the 40D at several sites for way, way cheap (at least $500 less than Beach, B&H, etc.). So I placed an online order. The next day I got an email asking me to contact them to confirm my order. Immediately the butthole salesmen (they were incredibly rude and aggressive) were on me about needing to buy a battery and a charger (which didn't come with the camera.) I asked them what they cost: Battery $180 and Charger $280. WTF??????

I canceled the order. I checked some other similarly cheap sites and they all ran the same scam. When I said that I didn't need the battery but would use an old one from a different camera they suddenly said that the camera was unavailable.

Another lesson in the area of "you get what you pay for".