PDA

View Full Version : Cave Photography How-To's

Brewhaha
01-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Darkroom forum. I'll start here and then go to the Darkroom if I need more info.

I am planning a "caving" trip to Carlsbad. (I used quotes because I realize that it's more of an underground hiking trip and I don't want to offend the hardcore cavers here ;-)

Since I'm going to be with the fam it is doubtful that I will be going anyplace really gnarly. So alot of the formations and such will likely be lit.

My question is: what's the best way to take great pictures inside these types of caves?

Thanks for your help.

jumar
01-31-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't know much about photography. I just take a brazillion photos on my little digital camera, and I'm bound to get some good ones. :nod:

You'll want to have a tripod for sure. Then do a longer exposure time, with a couple different light sources. Other than that, I just mess around until it looks good.

Randi
02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Darkroom forum. I'll start here and then go to the Darkroom if I need more info.

I am planning a "caving" trip to Carlsbad. (I used quotes because I realize that it's more of an underground hiking trip and I don't want to offend the hardcore cavers here ;-)

Since I'm going to be with the fam it is doubtful that I will be going anyplace really gnarly. So alot of the formations and such will likely be lit.

My question is: what's the best way to take great pictures inside these types of caves?

Thanks for your help.

Here's a link for all the "need to knows" about cave photography

http://www.goodearthgraphics.com/showcave/photo.html

Have fun in Carlsbad!

~Randi

Brewhaha
02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Good stuff. Thanks.