PDA

View Full Version : Martin Luther King Day celebrants can't Spell

Iceaxe
01-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Is this what Martin Luther King died for?
I have a what?????

:roflol:

News report shows Martin Luther King Day celebrants holding misspelled signs

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/41582/2001099372769141562_rs.jpg

Link: http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/mlkday.asp

Mooseman70
01-28-2008, 04:20 PM

Now you know why Bill Cosby is beside himself!

sparker1
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
But they can sure vote, although many in FL showed in 2000 they had a little trouble with certain voting methods.

JP
01-29-2008, 07:49 AM
And this is surprising :ne_nau:

Mooseman70
01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I just can't seem to figure out what "ADRAEM" is....... can anybody help me out here? :roflol:

JP
01-29-2008, 09:03 AM
can anybody help me out here? :roflol:
Ebonics :mrgreen: Yo E Bon Ikts wuked 4 me :lol8: Sort of like Hooked On Phonics with a twist :2thumbs:

Mooseman70
01-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Heheheh! Yeah.... that or South Central English! :nod:

cmpbiker
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Maybe one of you can clarify a few things for me? Who are "they"? Illiterates? Black people? I love it when racism is veiled with an ambiguous "they". So go back and edit your post and remove "they" and put in what you really mean. Then try for a moment to understand why stereotypes and "funny" racism pisses people off.

CarpeyBiggs
01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Maybe one of you can clarify a few things for me? Who are "they"? Illiterates? Black people? I love it when racism is veiled with an ambiguous "they". So go back and edit your post and remove "they" and put in what you really mean. Then try for a moment to understand why stereotypes and "funny" racism pisses people off.

C'mon man, this is bogley. Ignorance, sex, and booze is our focus. Remember, we are trying to get a bunch of new members on the board, and new folks love this type of stuff. :nod:

Deathcricket
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM

C'mon man, this is bogley. Ignorance, sex, and booze is our focus. Remember, we are trying to get a bunch of new members on the board, and new folks love this type of stuff. :nod:

*Redneck voice* Now I dont care who you are, that's funny right there!

Seriously though, that pic would be hella funny even if they were white heterosexual males age 34. That's the only class it's "OK" to make fun of right?? :roll:

JP
01-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Who are they? They, would be the ones in that shot.
Illiterates? It sure appears that way.
Black people? In this case, due to the pic, yes.
"...go back and edit your post..." No need for it.

It has nothing to do with being a racist, although it helps feed one of their cockeyed points . Ignorant people come in all colors, they just happen to be black in the pic. Which does feed a certain stereotype like it or not. It would be just as funny with a pair of white trash recipients; complete with mullets, Kool-Aid, trailers, macaroni and cheese.
Ebonics; know the history of it? I'll give you a clue, it wasn't the racist whites that came up with it. It was ignorance that developed it, the lack thereof to correct it, the bleeding hearted teachers fed into it and some of them were white. Even the ACLU protects racists, Neo-Nazi's and rednecks.
Now try and understand why jokes are jokes, they're based off of something. What one finds funny another may be offended. To each their own.

Sombeech
01-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Why is the words "they" and "them" always racist?

...except for them rednecks.

cmpbiker
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I want to be straight to the point- If you intentionally direct derogatory statements based on the ethnicity of another person, you are a racist. Don't tell me to lighten up, its just a joke, it doesn't mean anything. I have zero tolerance for racism. We all bleed red, we all love our families and we all die, nobody is better or worse because of their genes.

The only reason that this picture has been floating around on the internet is because of people who laugh it off. Do not play a fool and think that the topic is illiteracy. If you need an explanation why the "humor" is offensive I pity you.

Sombeech
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Remember, we are trying to get a bunch of new members on the board

And THEY are still upset about the name change, even though we haven't seen those Nebraska Canyoneering pictures yet.

Udink
01-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I want to be straight to the point- If you intentionally direct derogatory statements based on the ethnicity of another person, you are a racist.
Uh...I think the derogatory statements are based on the misspelling of the word "dream." If you spell your support/protest/whatever sign incorrectly and prance around in public with it, I'm gonna make fun of you, period.

The only reason that this picture has been floating around on the internet is because of people who laugh it off. Do not play a fool and think that the topic is illiteracy.
Do you really think that if the signs were spelled correctly, that the picture would be floating around the 'net? Or on the other hand, do you really think the picture wouldn't be floating around the 'net if the people holding the signs were white? I think you are entirely missing the point.

Don't tell me to lighten up
Lighten up, dude.

Iceaxe
01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
The reason this picture is floating around the net is because it's damn funny.

Sorry.... We are not all created equal, some of us are born stupid.... and ya can't fix stupid.

Life's not fair..... get used to it.

:2thumbs:

Maybe one of you can clarify a few things for me? Who are "they"? Illiterates? Black people?

Funny thing cmpbiker..... but yours is the only racist post in this thread. Anyone who views this thread and automatically assumes/associates "they" with "black" is a racist....

:cool2:

oldno7
01-29-2008, 02:08 PM
looks damm funny to me :lol8:

if your putting yourself on public display it may be best to have your sh8t together

so--lighten up-- :roflol:

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
And we have a "president" who cannot pronounce "nuclear."

As a writer/editor, I am constantly disappointed by the literacy recession in this country. Pathetic.

Unless of course we could all talk like Tarzan, Tonto, and Frankenstein. "Me have dream. Yarrrrrrrgh!!!!"

CarpeyBiggs
01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow. Talk about your bogley-goggles. If you can't read this thread, and realize that there are some remarks that are inappropriate, or at least easily misinterpreted, than you need to read a few more books. Your comprehension levels should increase with time.

But then again, a significant percentage of the posts border on the inappropriate, in my opinion. So consider it a gentle suggestion from me, that if you really want more people to sign up, perhaps we should create an environment that caters to the largest common denominator. Chances are, if cmpbiker and myself are offended by the thread, more than a few other people are too.

CarpeyBiggs
01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
And as a side note, it is not the actual image that is offensive. It is the clear racial undertones of the comments following the original post that are offensive. Can someone explain how this isn't perceived as offensive?

"Martin Luther King died for this?"

"Now you know why Bill Cosby is beside himself!"

"But they can sure vote, although many in FL showed in 2000 they had a little trouble with certain voting methods."

"Ebonics Yo E Bon Ikts wuked 4 me lol8 Sort of like Hooked On Phonics with a twist"

"that or South Central English! "

Jaxx
01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Those black people can't spell...

Jaxx
01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
If I put those people, or they, can't spell would that be racist because I didn't mention their color?

From now on when someone is black should we tiptoe around so it doesn't seem racist?

If this was a bunch of rednecks and someone put "Is this what the founding fathers fought for?" Would that be racist?

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I've noticed a lot of people I've met in really white places such as rural Utah or here in the Shenandoah Valley (97% white) have very little clue as to the sensibilities of black folks. I grew up in and lived in communities that are 50% black (or more) up until just three years ago.

I had a long discussion with a very hip "alternative lifestyle" couple in Utah about how the name of "Negro Bill Canyon" is racist. They said I was being hypersensitive and PC. I had to laugh and say wow, this coming from a gay couple. I then invited them to come to East Virginia and try and explain the nuances of the canyon's name to some of my down home pals. No takers (imagine that). The canyon used to be called N***er Bill Canyon -- so what happened to that tradition, eh? The man's name was William Grandstaff, so William's Canyon, Grandstaff Canyon, etc. all work and aren't creeping with racist undertones.

Here in the Shenandoah Valley, I saw some idiots riding around with the "N" word written on the tailgate of their BUSINESS vehicle! What can I say -- the crackers here in Appalachia are stupid...

That being said, the picture at the beginning of this thread made me laugh my ass off. It is patently funny. Jabs at Dr. King are not funny. That's the difference.

cmpbiker
01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Uh...I think the derogatory statements are based on the misspelling of the word "dream." If you spell your support/protest/whatever sign incorrectly and prance around in public with it, I'm gonna make fun of you, period.

Don't tell me to lighten up
Lighten up, dude.

I noticed a misspelled announcement on this very forum concerning President Hinckley "Presidnet Gordon B. Hinckley has passed away" so go and have fun !

Lighten up, dude.
Get bent Cracker.

cmpbiker
01-29-2008, 03:04 PM

I noticed a misspelled announcement on this very forum concerning President Hinckley "Presidnet Gordon B. Hinckley has passed away" so go and have fun !

Lighten up, dude.
Get bent Cracker.

Iceaxe
01-29-2008, 03:11 PM
http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Mmm_Hhh.jpg

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Mmm_Hhh.jpg

No no no. It's spelled "Did-ent." My daughter tried out "did-ent" on me one time when she was in high school. My, that was funny. After my exhaustive lecture on grammar, she did not re-offend.

JP
01-29-2008, 03:16 PM
From now on when someone is black should we tiptoe around so it doesn't seem racist?
You said black, you're now deemed a racist :haha:

Tiptoe, be careful not to offend certain types of people. Oh "F"ing well, don't bring the negative press upon yourself. As in that picture, that's what you get for being ignorant. If they did their homework, it wouldn't be all over the Net because it wouldn't be funny. It wouldn't have fit the stereotype. It's their own stupidity feeding into a stereotype that they are fully aware of.

Now, like here, people will slam others and label it racism. Why do you think stereotypes exist; because of the ignorant that continue to do it to themselves. So please, step down from your politically correct pedestals. Instead of being mightier than mighty, do something useful with your time like teaching the inner city youths of your neighborhood proper English instead of whining in here. Help eliminate that stereotype that hounds them still today. Educate a few Rednecks while you're at it :popcorn: :mrgreen:

Iceaxe
01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm white... and I apologies....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVrec9pT_g

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Great Moments in Racism

Several years ago I saw a fist fight on the tee-vee news, in which black people attacked Lakota protesters at a Redskins football game. The protesters were there to protest the racist name of the team. They were attacked by black people who were wearing lots of Redskins garb.

Couldn't believe it. I had to figure that was proof of just how racially ignorant we can be in this country. Plus, no one holds the market on racism. There's no such thing as reverse discrimination. It's all discrimination and it's all wrong.

Iceaxe
01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Damn.... good thing this ain't a white guy or it would be racist.

http://static.flickr.com/30/48795507_6e11b61bd1_m.jpg

http://images.washtimes.com/photos/full/20060717-093330-4663.jpg

Jaxx
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Get bent Cracker.

that is overboard. There is no need to be so angry and call people names. Disagree, state your point, move on.

Iceaxe
01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah.... don't be a retard.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

I just want to go on record.... I make fun of everyone. I'm an equal opportunity jokster. :lol8:

JP
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM

I just want to go on record.... I make fun of everyone. I'm an equal opportunity jokster. :lol8:

And nice comedy clip you posted :haha:

Mooseman70
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
HA! "Get Bent!" Man, I haven't heard that term since I moved outta So Cal! :lol8:

I think the whole point of this post was to get us to laugh at a photo of people with a misspelled sign, if I'm not mistaken. I laughed and found it funny. If we're not laughing at things like that, we're taking life much too seriously.

Thanks for posting the photos, Iceaxe! I've gotten some good laughs outta them. :lol8:

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 04:11 PM

I finally got kicked off the local newspaper's discussion board for repeated use of the word retard. But I was dealing with retards.

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Damn.... good thing this ain't a white guy or it would be racist.

Nope. Still racist. No exemptions.

Sombeech
01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Those people can't spell.

Mooseman70
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Stupid cracker.

Mooseman70
01-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Ah yes.... Inbred Jed and his protest signs. :lol8:

Iceaxe
01-29-2008, 04:58 PM
How do you spell "religious"?

Rev. Coyote
01-29-2008, 05:19 PM
How do you spell "religious"?

WOW that's GREAT! I'll give him a pass for the misspell.

Sombeech
01-29-2008, 05:20 PM
They are also grammatically challenged.