PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Sleeping Bags

RugerShooter
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I am also looking at purchasing a new sleeping bag, does anybody know about this brand of bags, I would be looking at the 2-person canvas 0* bag.

goofball
01-16-2008, 06:31 PM
i know nothign of this brand particularly. but from experience i can say any synthetic bag is a waste of money unless it only gets used a season, maybe 2. the synthetic fills do not retain their loft over time (that means heat retention), and i found them to be vastly overrated. maybe i am just cold intolerant, but if it said -10 i found it more like 20 was the real comfort zone, unless i wore a lot of insulating clothing in it. a down bag is the way to go. they retain loft and warmth tons better than any synthetic bag and will last a decade or more when cared for properly. or, judging from your tent option this is going to be a family style car camper ? if you already have some good comforters you could sleep unconfined by a bags borders. i have a down comforter i use when car camping spring to fall, depending upon where i am.

parrothead_madness
02-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I disagree, but with a caveat, synthetic bags MUST be stored uncompressed when not in use and they are not as abuse tolerant as down. They are more economical and great for car camping because they are heavier. I do agree that I always want a bag rated for colder than the conditions, but that has been true with down bags for me as well. If you are one of the fortunate few that money is no object, look at Kifaru, you could bivy overnight in Antarctica with the right one of those.

Edit to add: I just looked at the prices for some of the Grizzly bags, I dont think you can beat that with a stick. I may get a new one for myself.

pskelley5
03-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I own 14 different sleeping bags (collected over the years) from a variety of manufacturers. The bags range in temperature rating from +45* to -15* F.

I have used the bags in mountaineering, backpacking, snowshoeing and on mountain bike camp-outs.

Over the years, I've learned to trust the following sleeping bag manufacturers for their quality and reliability of product (and it's true, that you must properly store any sleeping bag, or over time, its "loft" will be reduced due to sensitivity to "extended crush").

For very cold conditions, the bags I have noticed perform the best are probably some of the best sleeping bags in the world (be prepared for sticker-shock, but hey, they're the best in the world):

The following two companies got my #1 vote for first place - their sleeping bags are simply amazing!
1. Western Mountaineering ( www.westernmountaineering.com )
Feathered Friends ( www.featheredfriends.com )

My preference then goes as follows...
2. Marmot ( www.marmot.com )

3. Mountain Hardware ( www.mountainhardware.com )

4. North Face ( www.thenorthface.com )

The "Raku" by Nunatak is sort-of-a sleeping bag/suit which is way cool! Check it out!
5. Nunatak ( www.nunatakusa.com )

Billyvusynder
03-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Try any of the local outfitter store if they don't have it they may know someone who refurbises down filled items

denaliguide
03-17-2011, 10:26 PM
first off let me say that i have a large collection of bags, simply because one bag just does not do it all. some down and some synthetic. i mean lots of them. maybe 8 of them at least. and that's just in the U.S..

i used to have a couple of canvas rectangle sleeping bags from cabelas. i think they were called the adam and eve. one had 4lbs of fill and the other had 3lbs. you could zip them together and depending on the temperature you could decide which layer to put on top. it was about the size of a queen size bed. flannel lined, it was so soft to crawl into when car camping.

synthetic bags hold their insulating properties well. i had a north face darkstar -40. used if for 5 seasons (2 expeditions) on denali. that was 40 nights a year, so 200 nights in that bag before i sold it. how many people have spent 200 nights in the same bag? i think that's good value for the dollar.

now i have a north face inferno -40 bag. it's down. not really much difference in weight or compressibility. but boy does it loft up. literally fills the tent. very comfy bag. doesn't handle laundering as well as synthetic though.

and what was said concerning sticker shock is true. a good -40 down bag will set you back at least 700 or 800 bucks. the western mountaineering bison is a beast of a bag. 2 of those in the same tent and there's no room for anything else.

Deadeye008
03-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I currently have around 7 sleepings bags of various materials and temp ratings. My down bags have by far the most warmth to weight ratio which makes them great for backpacking. There are some decent deals to be had if you keep your eyes open. I picked up a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 up from Campmor on sale for $70 and a Kelty Light Trekker Down 20 from Target of all places on clearance for $45. Both bags are nearly identical weighing 2.5 lbs and compacting down to the size of a football. I have been into single digits with both of them. The only downsides to down bags are that they are usually expensive and if they get wet you're screwed. Synthetic bags are a great, cheaper alternative if you are car camping or don't mind the extra weight. Check out this retailer. www.ledgestore.com (http://www.ledgestore.com) They are based in Utah. I have one of their River 0 bags and it is really nice. Heavy but nice which if you are car camping doesn't matter. They have a clearance section with some great deals. I believe they had a bag similiar to the one you are looking at for under $60 there.