PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a Freeride frame

REDFOX
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm looking for a 7-8" travel frame that will allow a front derailur. Considering a Specialized FSR 3, Giant Glory, or Santa Cruz Bullit. Any advise good or bad would be appreciated.

mtbmaniak
01-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I just bought a transition blindside, and it looks amazing. Still haven't ridden it yet because it's in the process of being built. I've heard really great stuff about it, and the reviews are all great. It's an 8inch travel frame with a 1.5" headtube, and the geometry is built to be somewhere in between a freeride and downhill bike to do pretty much anything with. I'm building mine into more of a hardcore freeride/downhill rig. If you haven't checked out the blindside I would definitely recommend it. I know that Ryan up in Logan, UT has them at his shop called the All Mountain Company, and then in Orem there's Urban Downfall Cycles and Nathan is the guy to talk to there. They also have a great sticker price. I would just recommend going out to a few shops and trying some of the bikes out. All bikes feel different when you ride them and you want a bike to fit your specific riding style.
Another bike that you might want to look into is the Azonic B-52. It's kind of a cookie cutter bike, meaning that there's a company in Taiwan or something that makes them, sells them to a bunch of different bike companies and they slap their logos on it, but I've heard some good stuff about them. It's a 7.5" travel bike that's designed to be an awesome light race bike, or tough freeride bike. It's one of the cheapest priced frames that I've seen though.
The bullit isn't a bad idea either, it's a very versatile bike. I know that Urban Downfall Cycles has a used one in their shop if you want to go that route.
Again, it all just depends on your riding style and what you intend to do with it. But definitely try and stop in to either the All mountain company, or Urban Downfall Cycles and check out one of the Blindsides. I know that both of these frames can be set up with a front derailleur and multiple chainrings and stuff...

REDFOX
01-14-2008, 09:30 PM
I have already had enough headaches with smaller obscure bike companies the past 10 years. That is why I am considering the above mentioned brands. It was cool having something unique, but the lack of customer service and companies going out of business, have once again put me in this situation of having to replace everything. I would simply weld the frame and repaint it if I could find a shock that would work on the frame. I need a 850 or 900 lb spring. Does anyone have an opinion regarding the design found on the Giant Glory ?

adadaead
01-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Santa Cruz Bullit is good bike. Layton's biker's edge is got two large frames on sale, one is green one is black with a fox rear shock for $1100 or something like that. I personaly recommend Specialized BIGHIT the name say it all. The frame would probably be the same price as Bullit.

Sombeech
01-18-2008, 06:59 AM
I've got a Klein Mantra with a massive 2" of travel. I'll throw the horn in free.

REDFOX
01-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Hang onto to that horn, I may be interested ! My other option would be the same bell that Greyhair has. :cool2:

greyhair biker
01-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Hang onto to that horn, I may be interested ! My other option would be the same bell that Greyhair has. :cool2:

Ive got another bell if anyone wants it :haha:

ogdmfg
01-20-2008, 09:40 PM
did your frame finally give up the ghost,are you ready to come over to the darkside of steel, drop me a line,I am working on finishing some new projects.- read 7 inch trail bike

LeftyLover
01-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I like the Specialized too, but I prefer to sell you the SantaCruz Bullit because I work at Bikers Edge and we have a couple in stock as stated earlier. Go with the Bullit

greyhair biker
01-26-2008, 01:39 PM
The Bullit is a sweet ride...but really, Ive only been around the parking lot on one. I tend to lean towards the Kona Stinky DeeLux because I like the frame. I also like Rocky Mountains' RMX series....SO many good frames out there right now :ne_nau:

the voice
02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have already had enough headaches with smaller obscure bike companies the past 10 years.

Despite your feeling about smaller companies, just take a look at and check out Canfield Brothers in Layton.

They have some new frames for 08.

Check out some reviews here:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Downhill_Full_Suspension/product_128403.shtml

http://www.sicklines.com/interbike2007/canfield_brothers/

Their web site:

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/candiggle.htm

Had the opportunity to ride a Lucky today, just goofing around in Jackson and it was incredible.

seriusly looking at upgrading to this one this year.

For what it's worth

REDFOX
02-22-2008, 08:45 AM
I do like the Canfield designs and I have never seen a broken canfield bike. I have known the brothers for about 10 years now. I have raced and ridden several trails with them in the Bountiful area. They do understand geometry and rear wheel travel.

greyhair biker
02-28-2008, 04:20 AM
just read the write up in MTBAction. the CanDiggle - very sweet frame :2thumbs: