PDA

View Full Version : Deep Southern Ice & partner

climbinghalfdome
01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Howdy,
I moved down to Kanab from Southern Idaho and I havn't given up on the ice yet. In fact I got out yesterday on the "Moqui Cave" formation. Its a nice WI 3 thats a full 50 meters. Its thin, but its in! The lower 1/2 must have had warmer rock which melted out the back two inches of ice leaving a detached shell that was 2-3 inches thick. Just like in sending a newly touched down pillar, less is more. Lots of hooking and standing. It felt like I was wearing climbing shoes more than crampons. Drive 5 miles North of Kanab on HWY 89, you can't miss it because its across from Moqui Cave. 90 second approach.
I along with some other folk are doing more homework on Ice that forms in this area. I'm sure there is more stuff along HWY 89 from Kanab to Panguich. Zion shows good promise too and its only an hour north of Kanab.
If you've got beta, or are looking for a partner drop me a line. I've always got Fridays, Saturday's and Holidays off.
kevinhansen
kevin_likes_to_climb_much@hotmail.com

jumar
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I haven't ever climbed down that way. It sounds like fun. Maybe I should drive down there one of these weekends from Lehi.

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I haven't done any ice climbing but I do know people ice climb up Parrowan Canyon at a place called Benson Creek. I also believe there is some in Cedar Canyon. Hope that helps. If it were still in business you should have called the Mountain Shop in Cedar, some of those guys are big into ice climbing.

climbinghalfdome
01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm sure that Ice forms up Cedar Canyon. (Assuming that its the one folks take from Cedar City to get to Brianhead). The Canyon walls are deeply insized and there is plenty of water running over the limestone. Has anyone been in there recently? What is in? Is there a topo guide for the area?
Kevin

tanya
01-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Kevin...

Welcome to the group! I am in Mt. Carmel Jct. ... so we are close! My hiking partner, Bo Beck, runs Outdoor Outlet in St. George and therefore knows most of the local climbers and teaches climbing at Paragon as well.

http://www.paragonclimbing.com/paragon.html?pg=business&bpg=staff

Post to him, email him or call him and I am sure he can line you up with some ice types.

http://bogley.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=195

accadacca
01-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Tanya you are changing your avatar everyday now? :lol8: Waiting to see what you come up with next. :popcorn:

tanya
01-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Because my moods don't usually change so fast. The avatar goes with my mood. :popcorn:

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Tanya you are changing your avatar everyday now? :lol8: Waiting to see what you come up with next. :popcorn:

Speaking of the avatar why are you crying. :cry1: Is it because you didn't summit your peek this weekend. There will be other times & chances.

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Found some more info thought it is not that good. Mostly rock climbing, but some ice climbing in the cedar area. It lists Hidden Haven and I believe that to be Benson Creek in Parawon Canyon. Good luck.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/routes/page.cgi?g=North+America%2FUnited+States%2FUtah&Submit=Go

climbinghalfdome
01-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Tanya,
Bo seems like the go to guy for the area. Mt. Carmell is so close! I'm looking forward to getting area beta. Nice web site BTW. Looks like you took most of the photos. They look good.
Have you been into Zion lately? Any ice? Guess I need to get up there and see what's what.
Anyone else have local contact info?
Kevin

tanya
01-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Tanya,
Bo seems like the go to guy for the area. Mt. Carmell is so close! I'm looking forward to getting area beta. Nice web site BTW. Looks like you took most of the photos. They look good.
Have you been into Zion lately? Any ice? Guess I need to get up there and see what's what.
Kevin

~laughing~ You are an ice addict!

Bo and I hike every week -- usually on Sunday because my daughter plays Bball and I like to watch and Bo often has to work... but still we do hike on Saturday's when all that works out.

Here is the trip report from yesterday.
http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9981&start=0
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_National_Park_Hiking/

There was a bit of ice here and there. I can't say I saw any thing to climb though. There is usually some between Mt. Carmel Jct. and Kanab. I just drove that, but did not notice.

Iceaxe in the group --- as you can tell from his ID he is into ice climbing.
http://bogley.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=40&sid=d4d485c9c43166852adda40409fa2323

tanya
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Speaking of the avatar why are you crying. :cry1: Is it because you didn't summit your peek this weekend. There will be other times & chances.

There is no reason in life to cry... except men. :mrgreen:

tanya
01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
:whoops:

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 02:29 PM
climbinghalfdome check this link to this thread out its by oldno7, Pine Creek in Zions. I asume it is upper Pine Creek, not lower, nor the slot canyon.
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9769

jumar
01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I forget which forum I saw it in, but I remember seeing a pic of ice in...I think it was Englestead canyon, right at the top? I'll have to see if I can find it.

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I forget which forum I saw it in, but I remember seeing a pic of ice in...I think it was Englestead canyon, right at the top? I'll have to see if I can find it.I have decended Englestead canyon and do not recall near the top a source to form good ice, it is mostly a flash flood carved canyon, not carved by springs or a stream. Though I could be wrong. If you do find it cool, I'd like to see it.

Brian in SLC
01-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I forget which forum I saw it in, but I remember seeing a pic of ice in...I think it was Englestead canyon, right at the top? I'll have to see if I can find it.I have decended Englestead canyon and do not recall near the top a source to form good ice, it is mostly a flash flood carved canyon, not carved by springs or a stream. Though I could be wrong. If you do find it cool, I'd like to see it.

www.door5.com

Bunch of folks jumped on it last season, rumor has it.

Jared and company called it, the "Z-cicle" or some such. Them kids have some horse power.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

jumar
01-14-2008, 03:30 PM
www.door5.com

Jared and company called it, the "Z-cicle" or some such. Them kids have some horse power.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/jared.e.campbell/Zicicle20070120

Looked pretty cool

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Those pics are sweat. I looked at Tanya's website and there was a flow in the canyon. But when I went through I did experience the same tricle of water. Though I think I remeber some water seapage (sp?) down the water coarse, you don't rapperle down the water coarse on the first rappel.

Tanya's pic from her website:
http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/jpegs/englestead-zion.jpg

My pic:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5474/img2567eu5.jpg

tanya
01-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Dean Kurtz, in my photo is on the Kane County SAR team. They did a SAR in there (was it?) last year and he reported a BUNCH of ice. I would not want to climb that though! Scarey :eek2:

http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5758

nieder
01-14-2008, 11:12 PM
As of 12/29/07

Hidden Haven (Parowan canyon) - All pitches in
Cedarsickle - 5 feet long and thin
Suicide Flows - thin
Ashdown - ??
Camp Creek (Kanarraville) - In thick but full of air
Mush for Brains - dry as a bone

Bo_Beck
01-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Tanya,
Kevin

Roughly a year ago we attempted to save a dog from a canyon and had to be lowered 600'. When I looked up the canyon to its head, there was a VERY Large Icefall. I could only see the top couple hundred feet. Might be worth going to investigate. You'd have to ski or shoe in from the Ponderosa I would think?

tanya
01-15-2008, 07:36 AM
As of 12/29/07

Hidden Haven (Parowan canyon) - All pitches in
Cedarsickle - 5 feet long and thin
Suicide Flows - thin
Ashdown - ??
Camp Creek (Kanarraville) - In thick but full of air
Mush for Brains - dry as a bone

Welcome to the Group! You must live somewhere here in Southern Utah? Cedar?

climbinghalfdome
01-15-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd like to invite all folks but especially Bo to track down this monster! I've got Monday off like most folks do. What do you say? Meet at the Thunderbird in Mt. Carmel @ 6 am? Who's in?
Bo.. you can't say stuff like "I could only see the top couple hundred feet." and not expect to get my blood pumping. My tools are sharpened and screwes ready.
Who's in?
Nieder?
Bo?
Tanya?
Jumar?
trackrunner?
At the very least lets ski in and get a look at it.
Boy it was chilly this morning. The Ice at Moqui cave is in thicker today.
Kevin

jumar
01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I'd like to invite all folks but especially Bo to track down this monster! I've got Monday off like most folks do. What do you say? Meet at the Thunderbird in Mt. Carmel @ 6 am? Who's in?
Bo.. you can't say stuff like "I could only see the top couple hundred feet." and not expect to get my blood pumping. My tools are sharpened and screwes ready.
Who's in?
Nieder?
Bo?
Tanya?
Jumar?
trackrunner?
Boy it was chilly this morning. The Ice at Moqui cave is in thicker today.
Kevin

I haven't found out yet if I'm working on Monday or not. :frustrated:

tanya
01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't do snow and ice. :mrgreen: --- and rarely 6am in the winter for that matter.

But I have no problem staying in a warm car or home while you guys go our and freeze. :haha:

Our friend Courtney loves to climb.... not sure if he is into Ice though? You can find him here. It's also where Bo posts the most and we put up an invite for whatever we are hiking that week. You should come with us on Sunday. There should be some type of climbing involved. Courtney is really big into Peak Bagging and we are hooking up with him on Sunday.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_National_Park_Hiking/

What do you teach at the HS Jeff? Today is suppose to be REALLY cold!

climbinghalfdome
01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Well I'm set and good to go. :2thumbs: I'd not like to go alone, so if the start time or place is a problem, chime in and adjustments can be made.

I noticed JUMAR lives in Lehi. That's quite a drive. I've got a ice partner that owns a motel here in Kanab, if you want to show up Sunday night I'm sure he can hook you up for the night. Email me directly if your thinking that direction.
Kevin

trackrunner
01-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I'd like to invite all folks trackrunner?

kevin,

I'd like to but I just graduated from university, still looking for jobs, and just had my first born boy 16 days ago, so um, it would be irresponsible for me to blow off the job search. Plus I no longer have the proper gear to snow shoe or ski in, but might think there is not too much snow after my Water Canyon hike this past weekend.

sorry another time :ne_nau:

Shaun

climbinghalfdome
01-19-2008, 04:33 PM
So I guess thats one way to kill a thread, is to invite folks to join me on a trip. Well since no one wants to go on my trip, maybe I can invite myself on one of yours.
I'm looking to get out and do something this Monday. I've got the day off and no one to get out with. I'm up for anything, yet I'd love to get on some ice.
Any ice climbers in the St. George area?
I guess beggers can't be choosers, so I'm up for anyhing.
Oh, I slept in a snow cave/grave/dog house last night. The local scouts went up to Alton Utah and enjoyed the 3 feet of snow. I showed them how to cut snow blocks from the snow pack and how to build survival shelters.
It was nice and warm and I think they had a good time.
Kevin

jumar
01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Finally found out I have to work. :frustrated:

tanya
01-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Did you see this post to you Kevin? The 2 guys Bo mentions are great guys and Bo's usual climbing partners. If you get out with them you will enjoy it! They are animals! --- like Bo!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_National_Park_Hiking/message/44972

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/aires-butte-j_jpg.jpg

Mikel

climbinghalfdome
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
No I missed that post on the other site.
Thanks for showing that to me.
I hope that I can eventually get intouch with those guys.
If you have their phone numbers maybe you could pass them along to me off this forum?
I get about 30 emails a day from that other Zion_hiking_forum @yahoo
I guess it got lost in all the other stuff that is discussed.
I'm looking for more stuff like that Z-circle post that someone found. That is the good stuff.
I'm going to stay close to Kanab tomorrow for lack of other stuff to do. I did find a new formation that is visible from the road across from the weigh station just North of Kanab. The aproach could be tricky because I'd have to cross Kane Creek or is it Kanab Creek? Anyway that makes 3 climbable formations with in 3 miles of each other on HWY 89. I can't believe that they are all 3 one of a kind chances of nature. I think there are many more ice formations around, its just not all are visible from the HWY. Its going to take a plane ride and or lots of hiking up each wash to find climbable water ice. If anyone knows where any is feel free to hit me with it.
Kevin

tanya
01-20-2008, 10:12 PM
No I missed that post on the other site.
Thanks for showing that to me.
I hope that I can eventually get intouch with those guys.
If you have their phone numbers maybe you could pass them along to me off this forum?
I get about 30 emails a day from that other Zion_hiking_forum @yahoo
I guess it got lost in all the other stuff that is discussed.
I'm looking for more stuff like that Z-circle post that someone found. That is the good stuff.
I'm going to stay close to Kanab tomorrow for lack of other stuff to do. I did find a new formation that is visible from the road across from the weigh station just North of Kanab. The aproach could be tricky because I'd have to cross Kane Creek or is it Kanab Creek? Anyway that makes 3 climbable formations with in 3 miles of each other on HWY 89. I can't believe that they are all 3 one of a kind chances of nature. I think there are many more ice formations around, its just not all are visible from the HWY. Its going to take a plane ride and or lots of hiking up each wash to find climbable water ice. If anyone knows where any is feel free to hit me with it.
Kevin

You don't have to take email there. I never have! You can just read the posts on the web just like you do in this group.

Should be Kanab Creek.

Those are Bo's buddies so it would have to be him that gets you their numbers, but he will probably catch this post.

climbinghalfdome
01-28-2008, 10:00 AM
The Moqui formation is fatter than ever! I'm itchen to get on it again.
I'm also looking to get into Zion to look for bigger stuff. I'm sure that there are some monsters there. I can't this weekend (my son's first B-day!) but I'd like to hear if there is anyone outhere who is looking to do some major ice climbing in Zion in early Feb Drop me a line.
Kevin

climbinghalfdome
02-04-2008, 04:24 PM
A friend and I are planning on heading into the Englestead canyon area this Friday. We will get in as far as the VW will take us. Then ski/shoe into the entrances of the canyons. Maybe do a little climbing on Friday but we plan on spending most the day Saturday. Anyone who would like to join us, meet at the Thunderbird in Mt. Carmel @ 1pm ish I'll keep you posted.
Kevin

climbinghalfdome
02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
The above was is a photo of the ice that Forms just 4 miles North of Kanab. Its in and wide and thick. I havn't been on it this week, but it is leadable and goes at a solid WI3+
Tons of fun.
I found out that the locals call it PorkYouPine and not Moqui Cave formation even though its just south and across from Moqui Cave.
Kevin

climbinghalfdome
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok this weekend is a no go for me. My partner had other plans of the Valentines Day persuasion. Guess I'm bumming a ride to Joes Valley.
L8r
Keivn

jumar
02-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Very nice! I'm very jealous.

jumar
02-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Think that moqui route will last through the warmer weather this weekend?

climbinghalfdome
02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I played all this morning on it. Its good, wide and fat. Totally leadable. It wasn't dripping because the upper section was under 2 feet of snow. Even with the high temps its still in. Folks don't know but it only gets 2-3 hours of sun between 8 am to 10:30 am. Temps during those times are still in the 20's.
I think it will last well into next week, but time will tell.
I'm looking for something to do tomorrow. Anyone?
If I don't hear from anyone I'll do some sport climbing at Black rocks in St. George all day tomorrow.
email me.

climbinghalfdome
02-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Yesterday a group and I went in to Zion in search of Bo Becks Dog Rescue big ice. BUT the road wasn't plowed past Ponderosa Resort and the Snow was waste deep. We switched to plan B.
We spent the day at the local ice in Kanab instead. Visible from Moqui Cave parking lot from Left to right this is whats in.
WI5 15' collomn that starts in a tree. Named (Up a tree)
WI2+ 65' steep ramp that finishes at a purple sling. Named (?)
WI4 60' Real steep curtain of sky blue ice that has a little crazy top out. (Crazy top)
Far Right
WI5-6 30' pillared curtain just touched down. Looks hard and not leadable yet.
PorkYouPine WI4- is previously pictured Ice flow 1/4 mile south of Moqui Cave parking lot. From the Base to the tree is 50 Meters and the top 10 meters are WI2. A group spent the day on it yesterday and left a 20' orange line dangling from the top so they could TR with a 70 Meter rope. I sunk a V thread (belay) just above the top lip 2 days ago to avoid the walk off. If your looking to set up a TR look to the South two gullies and you'll see a Green Fixed line you can Batman up.
Thats it so for for Kanab's Ice report.
Kevin

tanya
02-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Do you have some photos that you could post for us Kevin! :popcorn:

climbinghalfdome
02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
As requested

tanya
02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Very Cool!!! Now for a close-up! We (okay I) want to know what you look like. :mrgreen:

More!

PS... If you make the photos 630 pixel wide it won't mess up the columns on the group.

jumar
02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the pics, looks cool! If I end up coming down there, I should get the beta from you.

jumar
02-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Ice still good in Kanab?
Can you PM me any beta you have for the ice down there? I won't know until the last minute if I can come down this weekend, but I'd like to.

climbinghalfdome
02-15-2008, 09:30 AM
The main PorkYouPine flow is in and has recovered from last weekends traffic. It was looking a little stepped out, but not any more. Still very leadable and tracks have been laid to the top if you want to TR it.
The Moqui cave parking lot area to the North has seen some change this week. The WI5-6 have fallen however "Crazy top" and "up a tree" are still as fat as ever.
If your in the area bring some sport and or Trad gear. We have a Crag just North of Town that hosts 12 or so climbs on sand. Right off HWY 89 just 1/4 mile South of the shooting range that is South of Moqui Cave. Look for chains on the chocolate brown sand stone on the East side of the road.
Kevin

climbinghalfdome
10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
www.door5.com
Cheers,
-Brian in SLC
That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks
http://picasaweb.google.com/jared.e.campbell/Zicicle20070120
Looked pretty cool

Its been confirmed that this is Englestead Canyon, but I think the next canyon over to the West hold even more according to Bo's map. I've decided to head that way this Saturday, before the heavy snow dump.
Care to join me?
Kevin

climbinghalfdome
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Well I've gotten out Ice Climbing several times a week this season. FOr lack of a prtner, I'd rap down and climb out. BOY is Zion a great place for ICE. I spent all day in the park today. Found a new (new to me) line that was off the beaten path. It was nice to get on. WI 3+ to WI 4ish Coliflower fomed for a pitch with a big tree at the top for an anchor. Not many perfect days like today.

I drove into Kolob Canyon for the first time on Saturday and I totaly regret not getting in there sooner! There is so much Ice. I wish I'd a been there three weeks ago when Temps were colder. Now most of the stuff is gone. (not all)
The short flow North of Kanab is still in and Good. BUT Day time temps are in the 50's. It would be good to climb in the Morning.
I'm still looking for partners.
I can lead WI 3 and follow about anything.
Kevin
kevin_likes_to_climb_much(at)hotmail(dot)com