PDA

View Full Version : UUtah becomes Bogley

accadacca
01-12-2008, 01:40 AM
UUtah becomes Bogley - (bo-glee)

Friends,

Over the past 3 years UUtah has become the best place to get outdoor information in Utah. We have all experienced this; a user posts a question on the site and usually within an hour or so the question is answered. Not just a quick answer, but many suggestions and options are given. Often a lengthy discussion ensues and considerations for anything related to the question are listed and discussed further. In the end the question is answered far beyond the requesters expectations. It has been and continues to be a team effort. This website has so many friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and don't forget very witty characters. I really could ramble about each of you and how you help this process. But let me cut to the chase and leave out the kleenexes.

UUtah has grown from a small site among friends, to friends of friends, to an outdoor social networking site where information is freely shared and spread to a much larger audience. In order for the site to grow, the name "uutah" is not going to work beyond Utah and it doesn't work the best in Utah either. Here are a few reasons why:
[list]
Many people confuse the name with the University of Utah.
10 of 30 top members & moderators are from outside of Utah and there are countless others registered from out of state.
The name "uutah" discourages out of state people from joining the forum.
Our members who vacation or live outside of Utah don't feel comfortable sharing their experiences on the forum. Members often say, "I know that this isn't in Utah but. . ."
The community can

Scout Master
01-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Ah dats Kule

MTpockets
01-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Looks like some very positive changes and growth are coming. GO FOR IT.

MTpockets

bodhijoe
01-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Great change guys! It gives me the warm fuzzies to have the name feel more welcoming to all. Thanks for thinking of this!

Iceaxe
01-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Dang.... and I was just about to post all the pictures from the uUtah wet t-shirt contest.... guess we'll need a redo in Bogley t-shirts.

:lol8:

Gutpiler_Utahn
01-12-2008, 10:03 AM
They are reputed to live for the simple purpose of torturing young children

If this is involved, then I'm all over it. :twisted: Home is people, not an address. So long as you don't name the site bunnyhuggers.com then I'll keep coming back for more. :haha: :2thumbs:

live2ride
01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Great job!!!

jfeiro
01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Looking forward to the changes. Are there going to be new t-shirts and bumper stickers and any other kind of swag? Now that i've relocated to Vernal i'll try to make a better effort in my contributions.
Jim

BTTAndy
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
CONGRATS ! Sounds like some progressive changes for you guys. Way to go!

Nothing wrong with UUTAH to me but I definetly know what you are talking about.
Let me know if you need a Great Lakes Rep. :2thumbs:

GOOD LUCK DOWN THAT WEB ROAD!

Andy
Beatthetrain.com

greyhair biker
01-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Good decision guys. Gld to see the ole place growing :2thumbs:

RugerShooter
01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Keep up the good work guys, I really like the new name & logo. :2thumbs:

RugerShooter
01-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I just got this error while trying to post

Iceaxe
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
DITTO!!!

My post wnt through but I got the error message also.

Sombeech
01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
I just got this error while trying to post

We've selected a couple of members in whom we've become very annoyed with their content. Our plan is working. :lol8:

Thanks for the positive feedback from everyone. We realized among all of the small improvements to come, this name change would be the big obstacle to start it off. We can all realize that no matter how good a plan is, there will always be somebody who doesn't like it.

The format will stay pretty much the same, except for little modifications that are long overdue; such as, the way photos are attached and uploaded, things like that.

For those of you who are worried about our small "Utah" community disappearing, not to worry. This is already a site with quite a few "non Utahns" posting valuable content and feedback, and that's exactly the way it will stay.

We just won't be discouraging new members with the Utah based name. Thanks again everybody, and to those of you who aren't quite as optimistic about this change, I'd like to address your concerns. :afro:

shlingdawg
01-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Nice changes fellas. With my impending move to Washington State, I hope to draw some fellow local citizens to help me find new areas to ride, hike and otherwise explore the great Pacific North West.

accadacca
01-12-2008, 07:33 PM
DITTO!!!

My post went through but I got the error message also.
The server has been working on sending out all the Bogley email announcements to nearly 12000 users today. This is causing a few minor hiccups. I usually do it in the middle of the night.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the kind words so far. :2thumbs:

fire
01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the kind words so far. :2thumbs:

Ginger and I say Cheers!

LOAH
01-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Any changes planned for the fishing section?

...Just wondering.

TreeHugger
01-13-2008, 09:15 AM
OK, call me the naysayer, the doubter, the troublemaker, I'm not sure what word might fit best here. I dont do well with change, particularly when it's something I'm accustomed to and I like a lot. :-) I gotta admit that I like that this site has a primarily Utahn focus and am concerned that it will become a general outdoor site. Most of the out of state posters are people who vacation and recreate here so the info stays in the Utahn realm. Of course there are some posts that take us out of state and I enjoy them, but I can envision with thousands more posters from out of state that there will be so many posts to weed through to find info on Utah now. For example, if I want to find a great hike somewhere in Utah, will I have to go through 50 posts from 50 different states to find one here? Just wondering what you are envisioning with such a great influx of out of staters. Will there be a separate forum for out of state info? If UUtah becomes a generic, country-wide outdoor forum format which is kind of what I'm hearing), I see something much different than what we have now. I could be wrong - can you clarify your vision for me? Thanks.

As far as the logo, I think the Bogley idea is pretty cool, although I think it's a stretch from the outdoors. The little creature is creepy and I dont see anything in that logo that might suggest this is an outdoor site. I suppose that doesnt really matter, as it will become clearly apparent when people log on, but it's a little weird. (sorry, my opinion)

ANYWAY, I am not at all trying to be critical, just letting you know my initial reaction to it all. I'm sure I'll settle into it and it will be great. I must say that I truly appreciate that you have a vision and you go for it, not many people do that. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to put together something so great, like this site. You guys do an awesome job and it is appreciated by many, like me, who simple reap the beneifits of your hard work. Thanks.

Sombeech
01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
but I can envision with thousands more posters from out of state that there will be so many posts to weed through to find info on Utah now. For example, if I want to find a great hike somewhere in Utah, will I have to go through 50 posts from 50 different states to find one here?

Your concern is likely shared by other people, and this is a major topic acca and I have worked on in these past several months.

We expect Utah and the western region to be the focus of the forum for quite a while longer. But we've also come up with a couple of alternatives if the site does grow larger than expected (geographically) that would let us filter the content that we aren't interested in.

Our close community that we've developed is VERY important to us, even with a great number of us who actually live outside of Utah, but visit often. But we really don't expect this to happen anytime soon. It's just good to change the name really.

We appreciate your feedback, and I want to let you know that we've spent a great deal of time focusing on this very subject. :cool2:

Iceaxe
01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
The name change doesn't bother me.... I was never fond of the name uutah....

As for the rest we'll just have to see.... being Utah centered is/was probably the forums biggest strength. But I also see it as a weakness depending on where you plan to go. I would hate to see this forum turn into just anther generic outdoor forum.

Expanding to western states is probably cool with me.... but I really have no interest in hiking the AT or gator hunting in Florida. Have to see where things head....

:cool2:

LOAH
01-13-2008, 02:27 PM
And what's up with not being able to log in with my current username and password on the new site?

Maybe it's just me.

accadacca
01-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback Tree. Glad you like the site, we like you too. On the subject of more content, more members and having to sift through it all. Well, this is a problem that we would love to have. However, it will take quite some time to for these types of things to occur.

As beech mentioned, we discussed this long before we even decided on a name. As I recall, he and I discussed it extensively during a trip to Moab back in October. Here is how it would shake out. Each forum section would have some sorting options. If you wanted to see everything, you would just browse like you normally would. But there would also be pulldown menus so you could drill down. We also talked about putting some check boxes in your profiles, so you could check just areas that you are interested in. The site would then only show you content from those areas. These are some preliminary ideas. Honestly the site will take its own shape and forecasting this can be difficult. Thanks again for the feedback.

LOAH, you should be able to login to bogley.com without problems. Try it again and PM me if you are having issues.

ExpUt
01-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I guess I'm with the naysayers... there are plenty of outdoor related national forums... none I choose to be a member for a simple reason... Frankly I don't care to read about anything outside of Utah. Call me an elitist ass-hole, I'll agree.

Yeah, yeah I know I can filter, search localized forums, etc... but I'm a "New Posts" freak, I don't want to have to sort through a bunch of things that have nothing to do with Utah. I've left other forums that have "expanded", I don't like having to log in to 12 pages of new posts, by the time I'm done sorting through the ones I care to read there are several new pages.

Is Bogley a bad thing? Obviously not, your in the market to "go big", its all about going corporate... if your notions are otherwise I appologize, but if the money isn't bettier (ie. advertising, membership subs, etc), then why change it? You can't be the Walmart, and the Kirkhams too ;)

Another forum will step up and fill the void IMO, you'll likely find me there...

accadacca
01-13-2008, 03:56 PM
We also talked about putting some check boxes in your profiles, so you could check just areas that you are interested in. The site would then only show you content from those areas.
As I stated above, you could select in your profile to only see only Utah content if your that ignorant. j/k :haha:

It is not about becoming "corporate" or whatever. It is about making more friends. . .

Sombeech
01-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, yeah I know I can filter, search localized forums, etc... but I'm a "New Posts" freak, I don't want to have to sort through a bunch of things that have nothing to do with Utah. I've left other forums that have "expanded", I don't like having to log in to 12 pages of new posts, by the time I'm done sorting through the ones I care to read there are several new pages.

I'm with you there. I'm not interested in Bike trails in Oklahoma. What we mean by filter is it will be something you can set on your profile if you want to see only certain geographical topics. You won't see "Dock fishing in Florida" if it's posted.

On the other hand, I imagine Bogley.com will stay just like it is for a long time. Don't expect a flood of non relevant material to start pouring in, as this is only a name change right now, so this filter stuff may never even be relevant.

DickHead
01-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Don't expect a flood of non relevant material to start pouring in, as this is only a name change right now, so this filter stuff may never even be relevant.

Ha ha you forgot about me, didn't ya.....
:twisted:

Sombeech
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Ha ha you forgot about me, didn't ya.....
:twisted:

It's good to hear from you, ya piece of cow pie. :cool2:

I just did some research, and of our top 300 posters, 52 of them are from outside of Utah.
(unless there are more that don't say so in their profile)

When we were wondering if this name change would dilute the close Utah base, we started to realize that many of our valued members are already non Utahns. Prior to this though, we never confirmed how many.

I hope this shows how things will stay the same for quite a while even if we drop the Utah based forum name.

the voice
01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
First, beech and acca you have done and are doing an awesome job with uutah. Second, for what it is worth I agree with your decision to rebrand the site. It's not easy to go down that road, but the payoff can be great. Third, everyone has to remember at the end of the day what makes uutah, bogley or what ever it is called, great, is YOU, your life, your ideas, your experiences, etc. Its a big world out there and you never know where one may end up. So BOGLEY on :2thumbs: Keep sharing, keep living :rockon:

ExpUt
01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
As I stated above, you could select in your profile to only see only Utah content if your that ignorant. j/k :haha:

No need to be kidding, I'm not... I am ignorant when it comes to traveling outside of Utah. Though I have spent alot of time in traveling, when it comes time for me to plan an outdoor related trip, I have zero interest in leaving the state. Each time I go somewhere new, I find 10 more places I would like to come back and visit. At this rate I'll be ready for destinations outside the state in 2050 :2thumbs:

It is not about becoming "corporate" or whatever. It is about making more friends. . .

Cool and all... but I have plenty of freinds... and I don't make a habit of gaining them over the internet :bootyshake: . (I kid, I've actually become close freinds with alot of freinds I've met on forums). I want to learn about Utah, Utah hikes, Utah springs, Utah climbs, Utah trails... Just Utah. :nod:

CarpeyBiggs
01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I too have mixed feelings about the changes. The name change seems counterproductive to me, because what makes this site excellent is the relatively narrow scope, focusing just on Utah. I also have no interest in other topics outside of Utah, and think the forum will lose its most significant quality, and that is a community of people who are all about Utah.

The argument that most of the main contributors are from outside of Utah is pretty silly, IMO. They live out of state, but they are on this forum because they love Utah.

Anyways, not sure what precipitated the changes, and I am curious to see what happens in the long run. To be quite honest, I kinda like what we have here as it is. Getting more members is a good thing. Expanding from just a Utah based site is not. I think changing the name will also drive people away, because the forum is no longer branded as a Utah forum, but some new obscure thing. I think the uutah name, though a little confusing in it's own right, has pretty decent name recognition. Bogley? A little too strange for me.

Anywho, just my two cents, not sure they are even worth that...

the voice
01-13-2008, 10:33 PM
OK, I couldn't agree more that UTAH is a great place to play, live and work ( notice the order ). Infact after sleeping most of the day saturday from the jet lag of 20 hours in the air, my wife and I went skiing today for a couple of hours in the greatest snow on earth. Since Nov of last year when I started my new job I have been doing nothing but traveling and I can't think of a better place to come home to than UTAH. What about anybody form UUTAH that live in Utah and go, say biking in the pacific northwest, or skiing in alaska or white water on the colorado. is that not part of UUTAH. Or some one from Arizona, Oregon or Florida that comes to UTAH to enjoy any of the many wonderful things our home has to offer, are they not part of UUTAH. It's all about community. Its about the people and the love of life and the outdoors. It is what we make of it. It's not the name, IT IS THE PEOPLE. That's what makes this forum great. I am getting of my soap box now. :rockon:

price1869
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
boo :nono:

asdf
01-14-2008, 04:50 AM
double boo

DickHead
01-14-2008, 05:00 AM
My $.02

I was invited back as a Utah escapee. I'll rarely be posting about Utah anymore, I'm 2200 miles away now.
I doubt you're going to be inundated with non utah reports, except for by me.
One idea would be to combine some of the lesser used subforums. For instance, the motor sports ones (motorcycle, 4x4, and ATV) could be combined. Some of the other ones could be combined up as well.
Then, add subforums for out of state chatter and reports.
You'd probably have less boards to go through, and the snooty patooty's wouldn't have to complain about non utah postings.
:bootyshake:

accadacca
01-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the support. It means a lot coming for a guy that has posted twice in the the last four months. :flipa:

asdf
01-14-2008, 07:23 AM
I visit about 6 forums on a regular basis and the only reason I come to this forum is because its Utah focused.
Do you guys think that our out of state people come her to get more information for their future trips to Utah?

Bo_Beck
01-14-2008, 07:38 AM
I rarely post, but do stop in for the newest info occasionally. I'm not sure I understand the concept of changing to Bogley? Is it to stimulate participation from those from out of state? If so, what does the Title "Bogley" have to do with that stimulous? Is it some sort of targeting strategy? Forgive me for my "internet website naievity"!

fourtycal
01-14-2008, 08:05 AM
I like it :2thumbs:
I dont think a name change can take this forum away from Utah, Canyoneering is the most active section and Utah has the best, Mountainbiking next and Utah rules, best snow/ski, best 4x4, best hiking, etc... I suppose i am a biased utah native :haha: I would welcome reports and pictures from anywhere but Utah still owns most of the topics in this forum. :cool2:

Jaxx
01-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Why not just make a site for each state? Or make bogley its own site and leave UUTAH. I am guessing that everyone that lives out of state posts here because they visit or want to visit Utah at some point, with the exception of JamisJockey. :haha:

I am with tree, summit and others in the hesitation to make it national. Of course my opinion isn't worth much. Will people still be posting their favorite canyon, hike, hotspring, etc still? I like to post the things that I do because everyone has treated me like a friend and I feel like I want to share my secret spot or awesome trip with my friends. If it is just a huge amount of people that I really don't care about I am more hesitant to let the secret out. I feel like this is a tight knit group and we all kindof know each other. I worry about that being lost.

Why do you care about getting info from out of staters that don't visit utah? Mabey the change will grow on me but I feel like it's not for UUTAHNS its for the cash. I know that you guys spend alot of time and money on this site and it only makes sense to get paid for it. I know that thanks don't pay the bills but thanks anyway.

Jaxx
01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Mabey put up a poll and see what the response is. It probably won't change your minds but I would be curious as to how many people are for this change.

accadacca
01-14-2008, 09:39 AM
How about we just make a UColorado, UArizona, UNevada, UWyoming, etc. :haha:

It will take years and years and years to outweigh the Utah content, if ever. We have 3 years of Utah outdoor content built up on this site. Additionally, as fourtycal mentioned, many/all of these sports are HUGE in Utah, some call Utah home. I would be happy to just get some new users from neighboring states, to see what they have in their backyards. Which is only a few hours drive for me. I love seeing the trip reports that Tanya, Bo, Brewhaha and many others post. :popcorn:

tanya
01-14-2008, 09:48 AM
But! You guys bike down here so you visit this area a lot and know it well.

I think this all has to do with the owners being youngsters (liking the new stuff and both are into sells and advertising and trying to stay on top of things) and trying to 'improve' their site. Although I am not for it, the younger generation probably is - and as much as us old timers (not just talking age) don't like it, change happens. Either we keep up or stagnate.

Bottom line... The site belongs to Scott and 'Beech has a big influence. What they say will go. Bogley is a name... something like Yahoo that means nothing, but has room to grow based on it's content. I still think that the title should be something to do with the outdoors and I would like Utah in it, but probably most thought that Yahoo's name should be something like ..... webbased site or something boring.

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I understand wanting to expand the site and droppin the uutah will help with the expansion. But after reading all the posts I'm still a little lost at Bogley, couldn't there be a better word. Oh well like Tanya said Bogley may grow on me too as time goes buy. But I will always still refer to it as UUTAH so don't drop that domain name.

By the way love the site. :2thumbs:

oldno7
01-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Not a fan of the change.
I'm guessing it has more to do with drawing in advertising from a broader base=more money. You guys deserve to make this more than a hobby, just not sure eliminating Utah from the name will accomplish the goal.

jumar
01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I like it :ne_nau:
I post things that are outside of Utah, but still may be of interest to Utah folks, since it's still within driving distance (for example Wyoming caves and slot canyons).
I'm pretty easy to please though.

I think it'll still be mostly Utah focused, at least for some time.

Sombeech
01-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Seriously, what has changed? :ne_nau:

We'll change the uutah.com header to Bogley.com, and we'll rename a few things like UUtah Unplugged to Unplugged.

I think we're getting a little too worried that the Utah demographic will be diluted.

Acca and I are Utahns, and hardly ever travel out of state with exception to the Wind Rivers. Thus, our content will remain relevant to Utah. With an overwhelming majority of Utahns posting, wouldn't it just stay Utah based anyways?

ExpUt
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Seriously, what has changed? :ne_nau:

...Acca and I are Utahns, and hardly ever travel out of state with exception to the Wind Rivers. Thus, our content will remain relevant to Utah. With an overwhelming majority of Utahns posting, wouldn't it just stay Utah based anyways?

I think we all agree nothing will change immediately... but re-read Acca's mission statement (post #1), thats change. Inviting more out of staters to join, and more threads about destinations outside of Utah, again, thats change. I'm not saying I'll leave just because the option has been opened up, but the draw for me was the focus, a blurred focus is not.

Sombeech
01-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Here's a thought.

I'm not a Canyoneer, I don't ride Motorcycles, and I have never been a big Sports Fan. I rarely visit these 3 forums, even though they're quite active.

I come here and I stick to the things I enjoy, and I enjoy the community created within those select forums.

If you don't visit the Climbing forum, and there's a climbing link from Argentina, would you even know? I wouldn't. In fact, I haven't been in the Climbing forum for a while, but I notice a lot of activity there.

But if it's a link about a harness from somebody in Uruguay, that topic has no demographic boundaries because it's talking about equipment. Many of our existing topics are not related to a certain area, they discuss skills, equipment, and best practices.

We'd love everybody to at least wait and see how it will be, and I think everybody will be at ease. The only way the "Utah Community" will be diluted is if Utahns leave the forum, not by newcomers.

Cirrus2000
01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm not saying I'll leave just because the option has been opened up, but the draw for me was the focus, a blurred focus is not.
Well put.

As an out of state-er (OK, foreigner) I'm not really keen on the proposed (eventual) changes. I like having a place to come for my Utah jones.

The name just makes me shrug. The little dude just looks like some rock and roll fanboy tried to make up a cutesy gremlin rock and roll fanboy, having nothing to do with anything outdoors. (I know, I know - that's exactly what it is. BTW, are those Wayfarers?)

I understand that you guys are wanting to pimp the site into something more. Hell, if I wasn't over the hill, firmly settled in my middle-class nirvana, and had an entrepreneurial bone in my body, I'd probably be working on some kind of money-making-off-the-internet plan, too.

Honestly, I can't see the niche particularly well. There are geographically localized sites for a broad spectrum of activities (like uutah). There are sites for specialized activities throughout a larger region (SummitPost leaps to mind). But I wonder if the Bogley concept is just a little too nebulous to do well. I mean, I'd be happy to eat those words if things go well, but I do wonder...

So, yeah, I'll sit back and watch and see what happens. I'm not going anywhere - I love the information this site provides (on Utah), and enjoy much of the company. So, like I say, I'll stick around and watch what develops...

Scott Card
01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Not a fan of the change. I am a canyoneer. I started with Climb-Utah then that went to UUtah. My canyoneering is almost exclusively Utah. It seems to me that the draw of this site is in fact Utah. I am not opposed to out of state stuff being posted but to me, folks wanting to know what Utah outdoors stuff is about will be looking for "Utah". It is just muddy for me. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with making more bucks but I am here because of the Utah stuff. If the TR's start coming in from Tennessee, I must admit, I'm not terribly interested. (Nothing against Tennessee, I just don't have a hankerin' to visit)

There is also something about familiarity that breeds some trust. I understand the skills stuff being universal and I am a fan of a guy from Europe named Koen whom I have never met. He posts occasionally on the Yahoo group and seems to have a ton of really good tips and techniques. I have saved several of his posts. He is known by and canyoneered with folks that I trust. But that may be the exception? I don't know. It is nice to read posts of folks who know the locations and nuances of this State rather that generalities. An example is in discussing pothole escape techniques in the bad boy in Quandary or the nastys in Imlay.

The other reason I have enjoye this UTAH site is that I have kids and I have not entirely given up on hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, and I am about to do some cycling . I want to know about my own back yard.

My time is limited and the less time I spend in weeding the better.

Seems like you are trying to make IN-n-Out burgers into a buffet? For some of us that loses the appeal of the joint.

Bo_Beck
01-14-2008, 02:15 PM
If the TR's start coming in from Tennessee, I must admit, I'm not terribly interested. (Nothing against Tennessee, I just don't have a hankerin' to visit)
Seems like you are trying to make IN-n-Out burgers into a buffet? For some of us that loses the appeal of the joint.

Once you get a feel for the buffet, It's easy to figure out where your favorite course is!

stefan
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Why do you care about getting info from out of staters that don't visit utah? Mabey the change will grow on me but I feel like it's not for UUTAHNS its for the cash.

I know that you guys spend alot of time and money on this site and it only makes sense to get paid for it. I know that thanks don't pay the bills but thanks anyway.

okay ... but it should be clarified that THIS change is NOT for money.

it's is about opening up and attracting more members ... more folks passionate about the outdoors and thereby bringing more content to the site.

having grown up in utah, i think it's a great place.

utah is a state (perhaps more appropriately a state of mind), but, geographically speaking, the great outdoors in the west has no political boundaries (though it is clearly affected by them). we often talk about "southern utah," but the colorado plateau is something special and doesn't end at the state borders.

i can understand and respect the views of the "purists," wanting to keep uutah/bogley as a primarily utah-focused and intimate site. and it's good to be able to voice your opinions.

i think the concept of making the site more open makes sense. utah is like the "hub of the west." utah has such great access to all of the states. all of the states in the west are simply incredible, almost as incredible as utah :haha: the sharing of great information between like-minded individuals in the west, i imagine, would be a great thing.

i think this idea is quite open-minded, and ultimately when the software is in place, you'll be able to curtail the posts to utah or whatever. this site will change just as it has in the past year, and past two years, and so on. but i agree this change IS different.

i think there are many out-of-staters who love utah and love other states. in a more open environment they will likely be more interested in posting on utah AND their beloved other places. i imagine great exchanges. more content, more eyecandy, more vicarious living for those stuck at werk! more friends in other places.

i've grown up with the perception of utah as home and where i mainly spend my time, but also with the perception of the west as full of amazing places i want to discover. i love the towering forests of the pacific northwest and the sierras, the mountains across the west are just amazing. northern arizona is an incredible place. british columbia (minus the extensive logging) is simply paradise. oh yeah and that great state to the north ... just spectacular.

i think it'll slowly grow as a site of people who have connections to utah and be a open place to share our adventures.

the west is the best ... and utah is (roughly) the center of it.

Sombeech
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
If you are expecting a flood of non relevant material to be posted with this name change, you've got different expectations than us.

I'll say this again:
I just did some research, and of our top 300 posters, 52 of them are from outside of Utah.
(unless there are more that don't say so in their profile)

Even this last week there were several statements made that began with "I know this isn't in Utah, but....", when it was a question about Colorado, Nevada, or Arizona.

THIS is the main point. Many of us are interested in this REGION (not religion :haha: ), we don't want to limit content to the Utah border. We all love the Grand Canyon topics, and this is exactly the stuff we want to make welcome.

We never intend on reading about hiking trails in Iowa, but would we have shunned them in the past if one of our members had some great pics? I'm actually happy to see JamisJockey's drunk fishing pics from back east.

Don't expect this to be a diluted nation wide forum. The forum is the member base. If 90% of the content is Utah relevant, it stays a Utah forum. That's it.

We're not losing our groups and communities. For the out-of-staters that love Utah, keep posting your Utah content! We don't need to see your hometown material if you don't want to talk about it. I just don't know what else I can say to ease your minds.

:ne_nau:

accadacca
01-14-2008, 07:10 PM
All the jabs about money really hurt and are LOW blows. I have not made a dime on this site and money has NEVER been how decisions were made. I have asked for donations to help pay for server fees. What about my time that I spend 24-7 to make sure the site is up. Who does the updates, who has developed all the upgrades to the site, who fights off spammers, who activates every single account, fields emails, has moved the site 5 times to different servers to handle the load, etc, etc, etc. It is really easy to just sit back, ride the gravy train, bitch and moan at change. Who else would like to carry this burden?

I get tired of members wondering if they can post content from out of state. There has been a growing trend of members who are not sure if they belong or if their reports will be accepted. This site is about sharing and I guess some have lost that focus. Don

tanya
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Would you like to use my newest avatar?

~hugs~

Felicia
01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Change is an oppertunity for something better. I like change and I look forward to watching Bogley grow. :popcorn:

Cirrus2000
01-14-2008, 08:38 PM
THIS is the main point. Many of us are interested in this REGION (not religion :haha: ), we don't want to limit content to the Utah border. We all love the Grand Canyon topics, and this is exactly the stuff we want to make welcome.
I'm more comfortable with the idea of a "Western" forum. I, like many, believe there is a particular mindset, a zeitgeist, about living west of... wherever. The Rockies? The Great Plains? There's something out here...

I'm actually happy to see JamisJockey's drunk fishing pics from back east.
I could have done without seeing his tan lines.

I just don't know what else I can say to ease your minds.
Well, honestly, what you're saying is helping somewhat. Still, I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. I'll not try to wreck the change, or resist it. And if the site begins to trascend Utah (as it already does a tiny bit), I'll take what I can from it, and add what I can as well. Can't hurt...

All the jabs about money really hurt and are LOW blows. I have not made a dime on this site and money has NEVER been how decisions were made. I have asked for donations to help pay for server fees. What about my time that I spend 24-7 to make sure the site is up. Who does the updates, who has developed all the upgrades to the site, who fights off spammers, who activates every single account, fields emails, has moved the site 5 times to different servers to handle the load, etc, etc, etc. It is really easy to just sit back, ride the gravy train, bitch and moan at change. Who else would like to carry this burden?
My apologies if my remarks about money were out of line. I guess it's the cynic in me coming out. I know that it's a lot of work - which is why I assumed that part of the rationale behind the change is to make it more... rewarding. If you're concerned about the amount of work involved right now, why else would growing the site be a priority? Perhaps because the alternative to growth on the internet is atrophy? I don't know.

I make the comments about seeing you as trying to "grow the site" based in part on the following quotes from the e-mail sent out to members last week:
[quote][list] The traffic spike of Dec 26 (and many other spikes) has recruited zero members
The community can

rockgremlin
01-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Tanya -- why are you crying? Do you need a hug?

I am a bit divided on this issue. I am not one that embraces change easily. However, I also like to think that I maintain an open mind about most things. That said, I'm here for the long haul. I think it's unfair to be so hasty in our judgements. Give it some time. Kick the tires. See where things end up after the dust settles. A year from now if it's as bad as you thought it was gonna be at first, then you're justified if you make the decision to log out for the last time.

Remember --- it is a natural human tendency to FIGHT change. Many are concerned that this forum will change for the worse, but I really liked what Sombeech said earlier.....the only way this place is gonna lose it's Utah base is if all of the Utahns bail out of their own accord.

tanya
01-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Tanya -- why are you crying? Do you need a hug?

:nod:

price1869
01-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the support. It means a lot coming for a guy that has posted twice in the the last four months. :flipa:

I live in the woods. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I live in the woods. :2thumbs:

Where you been, man?

Scott Card
01-15-2008, 12:27 AM
All the jabs about money really hurt and are LOW blows. I have not made a dime on this site and money has NEVER been how decisions were made. .

Woah nellie! My comment about money was not intended to hurt or be a low blow. I honestly wouldn't have a problem if you did make money on the site. It wasn't meant as an insult. Sounds like you are going through a stressful time right now. Sorry if I offended.

I appreciate what you guys do. Heaven knows I have little or no brain for computers. I have to go back and read the instructions every time I want to post a photo. I like the format of this site. It is easier to read threads, post nice photo tr's for us computards, and is a nice bit of entertainment in the middle of the day or night for that matter. I just don't want the good diluted and I don't want to have to weed out more stuff that doesn't interest me.

Oh well, I'll wait and see. I hope it works. :popcorn:

Scott Card
01-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Edit: Sorry, double post. Dang laptop mouse..... :frustrated: I told you I am a computard.

shlingdawg
01-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Scot - Good luck with the new little one!

Best wishes for you & your wife - I'm pulling for everything to go smoothly and quickly (for your wife's sake).

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
01-15-2008, 07:56 AM
I was really surprised by some of the moderator comments. Especially since I sent the announcement to them a week in advance, so they could chew on it.

I don't think you should be surprised by moderator comments.... the memo you sent out to the mods was a "This is what we are going to do". It was a statement, it did not ask for input, suggestions or thoughts. It was a done deal by the time the mods were notified.

As for the money aspect it appears to me that you are about to triple your return..... and here is the math to prove it.

Money made from uutah:

Zero

Expected return from Bogley:

Zero x 3 = Zero

Anyhoo.... I'm happy to sit back and see where this goes, Ideally I would like to see the forum morph into a western states forum.

This whole deal kind of reminds me of attempting to up-grade your high school girlfriend.... Do you keep the sweet 7..... or.... do you dump her ass and try for the sexy 9. :lol8:

:bert:

Sombeech
01-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Money made from uutah:

Zero

Expected return from Bogley:

Zero x 3 = Zero

TRIPLE!!!

Jaxx
01-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Acca, my comment about the cash wasn't meant to be a jab. I put myself in your shoes and thought the only reason I would make more work for myself is the monitary benefits. Sorry for assuming, I made an ass out of...me.

Sombeech, you keep saying that 52 of the 300 top posters are from out of state. The reason they post here is because they are posting about UTAH. That being said I think the idea has grown on me while I have had some time to think about it, and Stefan makes some good points.
I do enjoy hearing about when Brewhaha went to Colorado to do some hiking and arch hunting. Jamis Jockey's topless photo's made me hot... I do like reading the TR's from the wind rivers, grand canyon, canyoneering in Washington, hiking in Oregon, etc. So I like the gremlin am here for the long run. And I will try not to bitch and moan so much :2thumbs:

ExpUt
01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
All the jabs about money really hurt and are LOW blows. I have not made a dime on this site and money has NEVER been how decisions were made. I have asked for donations to help pay for server fees...

Sorry if my comments came across as that... But you have google ads at the top and the bottom of each page, I assume they pay per hit, so I further assumed you stand to gain by going bigger. If your not making money (making money and making a profit are two different things IMO) then whats with the google ads?

I too took your whole Bogley deal as a sales pitch, didn't read any different. I'm involved in quite a few forums, a moderator on 4, including one with 30k members and 3mil posts. While I'm not the man behind them, I've watched as they too have gone through growing pains. If you really want to go big, I think its great, there is a market for it. But then it opens up for a forum that wants to specialize in all things Utah, not 90% Utah... all things Utah. Mabey I'm just one that feels that way? But judging on some of the responses, its a 50-50 bet... I say do it and see where it lands.

JP
01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I was really surprised by some of the moderator comments. Especially since I sent the announcement to them a week in advance, so they could chew on it.

and my wife is scheduled to have a baby on Friday.
You and Beech know where I stand and I believe you guys have done and are doing a great job here. I believe the people on this forum is what makes this a very interesting place and there is a wealth of knowledge here. I first came here due to Beech being interested in my 4x4 clips. I saw the UUTAH link he had and I was totally interested in it due to my trips out to you guys. Until this forum, I never even heard of Canyoneering. I was like, WTH is this. When I ventured in their I was speechless seeing the trip reports and the photographs. People just dropping into a crack in the ground :haha:

I never connected the UU as possibly being a site for the University of Utah, but then again, I'm not a conventional sports fan. So, that never crossed my mind. I am very interested in the four corner States and when things are introduced from your neighboring States, they grab my curiosity, no matter what it is. I believe you guys truly reside in God's country, I believe nothing else on Earth is that breathtaking. I, from time to time, will shoot you guys a few pics from New England to let you guys know just how lucky you guys are, especially with the vast amount of outdoor activities to do and visit.

I'll be along for the ride, I absolutely enjoy this place...no matter what the name is :mrgreen:

Oh, good luck Acca with the little one :2thumbs: Congratulations!!! :friday: :friday:

Sombeech
01-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey acca, I just got my first check for $327. I thought you said it would take another month.

oops, I thought this was a PM. :oops:

shagster
01-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey acca, I just got my first check for $327. I thought you said it would take another month.

oops, I thought this was a PM. :oops:

Hey I hope theres a family cut in there :five:

Ok on a serious note, I think you and Acca are doing a great job. I'll admit I was a little sketchy at first about the idea, but now that I have had some time to think about it, I am all for it. I think it will be a good addition to an already great forum. I agree that the people that participate on the forum is what makes it such a great place to hang out and share information. Thanks for all you do guys :2thumbs:

FROGGER
01-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Not that my 2 bits means squat but i say good move, i like Bogley and think it will attract more people...

With that said, i doubt they will post because the impression i get/got (when joining) from the site is that it is for about 20 people who post excessively, spam constantly (which is fun), know each other, lust each other, want their post count to be the highest and so on.... I feel there is great info in spots but take away the several thousand posts some have and its really not that large....

I'm sure someone will get their panties in a bunch about what i said and the fact that i have not posted much here but it will only prove my point that you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink... unless they need it and the water is good...

IMO

tanya
01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I am trying to deal with all of this and my wife is scheduled to have a baby on Friday.

Not one Scott :ride: post all day? I miss you

:ne_nau:

http://www.soulprintsphotography.com/images/index_04.jpg

I have seen this photo many times and it's still one of my all time favorites. Daddies and babies are special.

icthys
01-16-2008, 08:30 AM
When I first saw the bogely werewolf gremlin up on the banner it reminded me of a site for punk kids that think they make the world turn. Just from the name and the current logo I'd expect a place to discuss halo, skateboarding, texting, love triangles, crude photos/videos, and not something outdoors.

I'm ok with the name bogely but I'd like to see something like bogely outdoors, the name bogely does exactly what you wanted it to say, NOTHING. If bogely stays I suggest a logo that will not leave any question whether or not this is an outdoor community.

It's sad to see the Utah focus go away. I'd like to see it go no further than the western states.

rockgremlin
01-16-2008, 08:56 AM
When I first saw the bogely werewolf gremlin up on the banner it reminded me of a site for punk kids that think they make the world turn. Just from the name and the current logo I'd expect a place to discuss halo, skateboarding, texting, love triangles, crude photos/videos, and not something outdoors.

I'm ok with the name bogely but I'd like to see something like bogely outdoors, the name bogely does exactly what you wanted it to say, NOTHING. If bogely stays I suggest a logo that will not leave any question whether or not this is an outdoor community.

:lol8: I tend to agree here. Why not redesign the logo so that it has a picture of a gremlin holding a fishing pole, while on rappel, or something to that effect. You can also change what the "bogley" is doing based on season. In the winter the bogley would have skis or a snowboard strapped to his paws. In the spring, he would be rappelling down a slot canyon, in the summer he would be riding an ATV, etc, etc.....

Much like Google.com customizes their logo to fit the season, so too we ought to look in to something similar, where the outdoor creature is acting out the activities lined out in this forum given the appropriate season.

CarpeyBiggs
01-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Just from the name and the current logo I'd expect a place to discuss halo, skateboarding, texting, love triangles, crude photos/videos, and not something outdoors.

Have you read general discussion lately? :roflol:

Iceaxe
01-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Actually General Discussion is doing just what it was intended to do.... which is removing most the riff-raff from the specific topic threads.

jumar
01-16-2008, 10:20 AM

:lol8: I tend to agree here. Why not redesign the logo so that it has a picture of a gremlin holding a fishing pole, while on rappel, or something to that effect. You can also change what the "bogley" is doing based on season. In the winter the bogley would have skis or a snowboard strapped to his paws. In the spring, he would be rappelling down a slot canyon, in the summer he would be riding an ATV, etc, etc.....

Much like Google.com customizes their logo to fit the season, so too we ought to look in to something similar, where the outdoor creature is acting out the activities lined out in this forum given the appropriate season.

That'd be cool :nod:
We once made t-shirts for a family trip with a bunch of kokopelli's doing different outdoor sports, like biking, climbing etc.

Jaxx
01-16-2008, 10:54 AM
That'd be cool :nod:
We once made t-shirts for a family trip with a bunch of kokopelli's doing different outdoor sports, like biking, climbing etc.

I think you just found a volunteer beech and acca :2thumbs:

I would have to agree on the logo, but I am trying not to bitch so much.

moabfool
01-16-2008, 11:27 AM
If I want a national blog I'll go to GORP or MTBR. I doubt you'll increase traffic with an arcane name like 'bogley'. uutah was supposed to celebrate Utah and its unique splendor. Sure the image bar has pictures of other places, but one can have focus without discriminating. But that's the point, there was focus.

I think it's cool the site has so many members from other states. They add spice and are a good ego boost to those of us that live in Utah and love to play here. By having "Utah" in the name the site has attracted people who love Utah and love being here, whether to live or just to visit. That focus added strength and attraction. I guess I'll have to go looking for another place to look for good Utah beta without having to wade through the comments of some guy that rode Slickrock five years ago and thinks his two cents make a bit of difference. I think bogley will become the Jack-of-all-trades & master of none.

I will agree on one point, uutah may have been a misleading name, but I think a name change should have been an attempt to clarify, not to magnify. The name www.utahmountainbiking.com is a good example of the path I think uutah should have followed when a name change was considered. There is no confusion about their focus. UtahRecBlog.com would've accomplished that for you. Oh well, it's not my site.

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 07:19 PM
The name www.utahmountainbiking.com is a good example

Well, again if we were a mountain biking only site, that would be good. In fact, we've even owned the domain www.utahoutdoorforum.com for quite a while, and it just redirects to uutah.com because a simpler name is often good. And we did great! We realized it's not the NAME of the forum, but the content. uutah.com says nothing about the outdoors. It could've been about modern arts and piggy tails.

The concept includes a short domain name, easy to pronounce and spell, and we really wanted a generic term.

Let's talk about "nationwide". Have you ever joined a forum and started posting non relevant material without reading some of the content first? Same way. If this url change means it's a nationwide forum all of a sudden, we should see some Maine members post their Trip Reports this week. But we know that's not going to happen.

Sometimes we'll get our members posting Nevada bike trails and such, and there's always the thought of "I know this isn't Utah, but..." and we're fine with it. We encourage our own members to share their experiences and especially the pictures when they travel out of state. We just don't want them to be uncomfortable posting Non Utah material. That's it! Seriously, that's it.

When you start to think, what really makes a forum, it's the content by members. We're a Utah based forum that is happy to see what else is going on nearby. We always will be. If anybody opposes Colorado peak bagging, Montana fishing, Idaho river running, or Wyoming backpacking, they should have left this forum 3 years ago when these topics were posted.

Now we can buy the domain www.UtahandBorderingStatesOutdoorsStuff.com - it's available, I just checked. Urls are only 10 bucks a year for purchase, so it's no big deal. But shorter domains are much better for traffic. A url name doesn't invite all kinds of traffic on it's own, you have to network. We couldn't really have "trails" in the name, because of skiing, boating, boarding, climbing... So we don't want to limit it to the Utah border, and we can't include all of our content with a certain outdoor activity. Thus, the generic name, Bogley.

Now let's talk about logo.
I agree, that little Gremlin has nothing to do with the outdoors, except maybe the sunglasses. We are still working on it. In fact, we've worked on it for 2 months. You should see some of our first designs, I've still got them, and may upload them for a good laugh sometime.

It's not permanent, but the term "Bogle" relates to a goblin of sorts. So we created "Bogley" as an Outdoor Gremlin or Trail Goblin. We wanted to create an asexual outdoors character. At first we even thought of drawing an outdoorsman, but didn't want to exclude our fine azz females here, so that's more of the reason.....

I'd love to have the logo drawn up doing different activities. It's all open, and we appreciate the feedback, really. It's just down the road for now. Like accadacca said, we're not getting paid, so all of the work gets done after we put our kids to bed and kiss our wife goodnight. Any of you are welcome to draw something up.

We've been breathing down our logo designer's neck lately. He's drawn up a lot of concepts for us, and this is the current one. It's LIKELY that we'll add mountains to the logo as well. But we didn't want to wait any longer just for the perfect logo.

(for somebody who doesn't like to read, I sure make a long post)

Take Nike. What the hell does Nike mean. Does it mean Sports in Japanese? And what about the "Swoosh"? Where does that say basketball?

http://www.heidrick.com/NR/rdonlyres/516C73DA-08C9-42B2-BC98-B3EE59F4D3F8/0/Nike_swoosh.gif

It doesn't deter from the purpose. Our image bar and content say all we need to say at first glance.

Keep the feedback coming. I don't want to sound like I'm shooting you down or being defensive, I just hope I'm answering some concerns.

trackrunner
01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Beach,

I agree with explanation as to why the changes. Even after it has been explained its the word bogley I still don't get or like. :ne_nau: But then again as Tanya said its just a word, and words like yahoo may eventally catch on creating a recognizable brand. But I have no room to talk because I have no good suggestions on any word thats better, sorry. :ne_nau:

thats IMHO

trackrunner
01-16-2008, 07:33 PM
By the way I still love the site :2thumbs:

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
By the way I still love the site :2thumbs:

Thanks man. And even though you've only got 50 posts, we still want to hear what you have to say.

just for thoughts, "trackrunner" would make you think you have nothing to do with the outdoors except outside on the track. You know? But hey, we luvs ya.

trackrunner
01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
just for thoughts, "trackrunner" would make you think you have nothing to do with the outdoors except outside on the track. You know? But hey, we luvs ya.
I was going to put "trailrunner" since I graduated/injury problems and no longer compete as a track athlete and love running and trails and trail running, but somehow I'd enter it in wrong as one of my old usernames (trackrunner). I also use "mountain man" on the ACA forms but have never like that name personaly thats why I went with something new. . . uh I mean tried to go something new but messed up and accidently went older. :ne_nau:

stefan
01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Take Nike. What the hell does Nike mean. Does it mean Sports in Japanese? And what about the "Swoosh"? Where does that say basketball?

http://www.heidrick.com/NR/rdonlyres/516C73DA-08C9-42B2-BC98-B3EE59F4D3F8/0/Nike_swoosh.gif

uhhh ... like everyone knows (hopefully) that nike is ... like ... the greek goddess of victory and stuff ... you know, kinda like sports and ... ya know ... victory ... and stuff

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 08:20 PM
uhhh ... like everyone knows (hopefully) that nike is ... like ... the greek goddess of victory and stuff ... you know, kinda like sports and ... ya know ... victory ... and stuff

Right, but what the hell is a Japanese company doing with Greek Mythology. I mean, that's just stirrin' the pot a little too much.

Next thing you know, you'll have an oriental guy playing basketball.

CarpeyBiggs
01-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Beech,

I'll keep this brief, since I know your history with my long posts. From reading everything you just posted, I don't see how changing the name makes any difference. It sounds like neither you or Scott have the time or energy to make this either a) profitable or b) fulfilling, so maybe the changes aren't worth the effort?

All the changes you want to make seem trivial, and easily done in the context of how the forum is already existing.

Now, as for SEO, I think that is where the real value is for this forum, but probably the most work for Scott. But I can't see how changing the name to Bogley from uutah can possibly help with any of the concerns you've brought up, or how expanding our range to outside of Utah can be of any value (in terms of either satisfaction, or money). Seems to me the site will continue to grow, as more people are exposed. Exposure comes through SEO, and word of mouth.

stefan
01-16-2008, 08:28 PM

okay ... like maybe it began 'merican and stuff?

a quick trip to the wiki tells us ...

Nike (originally known as Blue Ribbon Sports), was founded by University of Oregon track athlete Phil Knight and his coach Bill Bowerman in January 1964 (Yahoo finance NKE profile page as of Jan. 2 2008). The company initially operated as a distributor for Japanese shoe maker Onitsuka Tiger, making most sales at track meets out of Knight's car. Many top Oregon runners began wearing the shoes, and the shoe's popularity grew quickly. The company's first self-designed product was based on Bowerman's "waffle" design in which the sole of the shoe was made by the pattern of a waffle iron.

The company's profits grew quickly, and in 1966, BRS opened its first retail store, located on Pico Blvd. in Santa Monica, Calif. In 1974, with the relationship between BRS and Onitsuka Tiger nearing an end, BRS prepared to launch its own line of footwear, which would bear the newly designed Swoosh. [Sources: 'Swoosh' by J.B. Strasser and 'Just Do It' by Donald Katz.]

The first shoe to carry this design that was sold to the public was a soccer/football cleat named "Nike," which was released in the summer of 1971."

CarpeyBiggs
01-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Right, but what the hell is a Japanese company doing with Greek Mythology. I mean, that's just stirrin' the pot a little too much.

Next thing you know, you'll have an oriental guy playing basketball.
Pretty sure Nike is American as apple pie, since their world headquarters are in none other than Beaverton Oregon. But I could be wrong... :ne_nau:

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 08:43 PM
From reading everything you just posted, I don't see how changing the name makes any difference.

I'm glad we agree. :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
01-16-2008, 08:48 PM

Fair enough. So why do it? Why give yourselves even more headaches?

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 08:58 PM

Fair enough. So why do it? Why give yourselves even more headaches?

It's the cash.

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 09:05 PM
OK, for anybody who read all of this, and are still wondering why we are changing the name, here's a good example:

Link Removed

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Oh yeah, don't click that.

CarpeyBiggs
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice. Glad we had the heart to heart.

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
C'mon, if you didn't chuckle at that....

CarpeyBiggs
01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh I chuckled... Then I realized what a pathetic life I lead, wasting my time posting on message boards. :haha:

Sombeech
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
GROUP HUG

http://mars.walagata.com/w/zwrex/group_hug.jpg

Cirrus2000
01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Nice, this is getting good now. Keep bringing on the BS, Sombeech. The people trying to understand the changes get Astley-ed, then get called, what, "fags"? Not really helping your case.

Not that you need a "case", of course. Hey, it's your sandbox, and you can do what you want.

But that looked to me like you just had a wee little tantrum, right in the middle of a serious discussion.

JP
01-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Hey, it's your sandbox, and you can do what you want.
Exactly the point. :popcorn:

TreeHugger
01-17-2008, 05:54 AM

I so totally agree with both of these comments. The "bogley-guy-doing-outdoor-stuff" in the logo just makes so much more sense to me. That gremlin thing, like I said before, is misleading, and well, just creepy.

Sombeech
01-17-2008, 06:56 AM
C'mon guys, I'm not getting mad, nor even a little upset. I thought the Rick Roll'd link has always been funny, 'cause I'm a prankster.

And I never intended on the gay reference. I did an image search in Yahoo for Group Hug, and that's the first thing that came up. I thought it was funny too.

The accusations of playing tyrant are misleading too. We had the option to make the announcement and just lock the thread, but your feedback is very important. In fact, the logo is an example. We're still continuing to work on new concepts, so again please be patient. Neither Scott nor I are design experts, so we're going outside for this one.

Many of you weren't here when uutah started, and it was much different than it is today. It didn't have a lot of the visuals we have now, and each addition brought it's feedback and getting used to.

Remember the front page Slideshow? It's still there, but many people choose to just link directly to the forum. It was and is still a huge debate. I agree that intern3tz n00bs sometimes get confused when they don't see a big flashing "ENTER HERE" button, and they just watch the slideshow all day thinking that is the site.

But most of the time we're linking to a specific thread about a trip report. Again, uutah never meant outdoors. Sure, it was a strange way of spelling Utah, but in no way did that url mean outdoors, or forum. It could've been for Railroad enthusiasts who celebrate the Golden Spike memorial at Promontory.

I understand this is a change, and we've been toiling over it for a while now and after weighing the options, forecasting some resistance, and seeing the work ahead, we decided it would be the best for the forum.

asdf
01-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Why is it that when I google "Crack Canyon Utah" Uutah does not even show up on the first 17 pages. But when I google "subway zion utah" Taynas, Toms, and IceAxes site are all in the top 3 results.
What I am getting at here is that there is a TONS of good information here but how can noobs to uutah find it? I don't mean to be rude or ignorant I just dont know very much about making public websites searchable.

Side note, I hate the cartoon ... i dont think websites need mascots.

tanya
01-17-2008, 07:11 AM
C'mon guys, I'm not getting mad, nor even a little upset. I thought the Rick Roll'd link has always been funny, 'cause I'm a prankster.

And I never intended on the gay reference. I did an image search in Yahoo for Group Hug, and that's the first thing that came up. I thought it was funny too.

The accusations of playing tyrant are misleading too. We had the option to make the announcement and just lock the thread, but your feedback is very important. In fact, the logo is an example. We're still continuing to work on new concepts, so again please be patient. Neither Scott nor I are design experts, so we're going outside for this one.

Many of you weren't here when uutah started, and it was much different than it is today. It didn't have a lot of the visuals we have now, and each addition brought it's feedback and getting used to.

Remember the front page Slideshow? It's still there, but many people choose to just link directly to the forum. It was and is still a huge debate. I agree that intern3tz n00bs sometimes get confused when they don't see a big flashing "ENTER HERE" button, and they just watch the slideshow all day thinking that is the site.

But most of the time we're linking to a specific thread about a trip report. Again, uutah never meant outdoors. Sure, it was a strange way of spelling Utah, but in no way did that url mean outdoors, or forum. It could've been for Railroad enthusiasts who celebrate the Golden Spike memorial at Promontory.

I understand this is a change, and we've been toiling over it for a while now and after weighing the options, forecasting some resistance, and seeing the work ahead, we decided it would be the best for the forum.

I have to support what Justin is saying. :nod: I have never seen him have a 'fit' -- he is far too easy going and just likes to make jokes and make everyone happy..... and he does not have a tyrant type bone in his body.

Such a shame.. since I tend to like the tyrants :twisted:

As for the manly hug... that one I will leave up to you guys to figure out. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer! I rarely hang out in the political section --- but have seen him post his frustration in the general section about the political section.. so no idea what goes on in that world ... but outside of it he is far too cool. :cool2: headed to have a fit.

CarpeyBiggs
01-17-2008, 07:35 AM
perhaps "fit" is the wrong word. let's call it "poor comedic timing."

Sombeech
01-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Why is it that when I google "Crack Canyon Utah" Uutah does not even show up on the first 17 pages. But when I google "subway zion utah" Taynas, Toms, and IceAxes site are all in the top 3 results.

Excellent question.

This forum, along with most, is in PHP format. This is very difficult for search engines to read vs html. There is another feature on the ever growing list of mods that will "cloak" the php and make it look like html, which is better for search engines. This has nothing to do with the name or content of the forum.

Shane, Tanya's, and Tom's sites are html, and likely have the words Subway, Zion, and Utah all on the same page, so this will rank high in your search.

stefan
01-17-2008, 07:47 AM
I have to support what Justin is saying. :nod: I have never seen him have a 'fit' -- he is far too easy going and just likes to make jokes and make everyone happy

i guess the issue is that comic derailment doesn't make everyone happy. if someone is taking a thread (like name change) very seriously, then it can appear as dismissive, or insensitive, or {fill-in-the-blank}.

it doesn't mean that it is. but perception is everything, and it's different for everyone.

Randi
01-17-2008, 07:59 AM
[quote=accadacca]UUtah becomes Bogley - (bo-glee)

http://www.uutah.com/forum/files/bogley.jpg

Friends,

[list]
Many people confuse the name with the University of Utah.
10 of 30 top members & moderators are from outside of Utah and there are countless others registered from out of state.
The name "uutah" discourages out of state people from joining the forum.
Our members who vacation or live outside of Utah don't feel comfortable sharing their experiences on the forum. Members often say, "I know that this isn't in Utah but. . ."
The community can

asdf
01-17-2008, 08:11 AM

Excellent question.

This forum, along with most, is in PHP format. This is very difficult for search engines to read vs html. There is another feature on the ever growing list of mods that will "cloak" the php and make it look like html, which is better for search engines. This has nothing to do with the name or content of the forum.

Shane, Tanya's, and Tom's sites are html, and likely have the words Subway, Zion, and Utah all on the same page, so this will rank high in your search.

ok... so add uutah to that same search.
http://www.google.com/search?q=crack+canyon+utah+uutah&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Sombeech
01-17-2008, 08:15 AM
ok... so add uutah to that same search.
http://www.google.com/search?q=crack+canyon+utah+uutah&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I can't because my work filter thinks I'm looking for drugs. :roflol:

Category: Illegal Drugs
Blocked URL: http://www.google.com/search?q=crack+canyon+utah+uutah&ie=utf-8&oe=utf
-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active

What was the result? I'm guessing uutah.com was somewhere, since uutah is a unique term.

I changed the canyon name and searched. The title of our forum is still uutah, so that will likely rank high with any search with a keyword of uutah. But the content is php, so it rarely returns a link to the trip report you're looking for, or anything like that, if you leave uutah out of the search. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

PHP just doesn't go well with searches. We're still running uutah.com side by side, so nothing has changed with search engines.

tanya
01-17-2008, 08:24 AM
THink Crack :mrgreen:

Jaxx
01-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Any of you are welcome to draw something up.

you asked for it. Feel free to use this in anyway!

Brewhaha
01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
I think that Acca and Beech (and other's that I am not sure of) should be very proud of what UUtah has become and how many people care about where it is going. The 8 pages of discussion are evidence that their vision has worked and that UUtah is valuable to many other people than just them. I hope they can see the "compliments" behind all of the emotions.

That being said I do think from a marketing standpoint that Bogley doesn't convey anything about what the site is and does. The same for the logo. I don't say this just to be a stick in the mud but because I think that the choices aren't the best.

I kind of like the idea of allowing for more content coverage (Western States, Colorado Plateau, whatever). However, the focus should still start with (and probably will) Utah.

How about: UUtah Plus or UUtah and Beyond. With the catchphrase "Everything Outdoors in Utah and Beyond"

Why don't we get The Apprentice to take on the task?

Anyway, good luck and whatever happens I think that the site will be whatever we make it.

Sombeech
01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Alright, I'm home on lunchbreak and had a chance to see that google search. It was interesting to see this result on the front page:

www.beatblogs.org/blogs/uutah/default.aspx - a University of Utah link. even though it has nothing to do with Canyons or crack - well, maybe crack. OK, maybe canyons too.

Anyways, I'm gonna leave this topic alone for a while.

FROGGER
01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Alright, I'm home on lunchbreak and had a chance to see that google search. It was interesting to see this result on the front page:

www.beatblogs.org/blogs/uutah/default.aspx - a University of Utah link. even though it has nothing to do with Canyons or crack - well, maybe crack. OK, maybe canyons too.

Seems like it has a lot to do with canyons and cracks... :nod:

Sombeech
01-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Seems like it has a lot to do with canyons and cracks... :nod:

Yes, I was joking, talking about drugs and butt cracks like a 7 year old.

But my point is, uutah brings up U of U quite often.

OK, now I'm really going to let this rest for a while.

accadacca
01-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Made some of the suggested changes, hope you like them. More to come after my wife has a baby and things are back to normal.

Peace,

acca

Iceaxe
01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I actually like the header currently at the top of the uutah website better then the surfer cat dude. It's has a lot more to do with the sites content.

Yeah... I know.... doesn't look as cool on the T-Shirts. :haha:

Sombeech
01-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I actually like the header currently at the top of the uutah website better then the surfer cat dude. It's has a lot more to do with the sites content.

I know what you mean, and some of this stuff is still up in the air. Just like the T shirts, the logo was different on those than what was on the header.

The goblin character, that's the logo, although we're not sure where it's gonna go. We've got some strong ideas, but not concrete. Whatever the final thing is, it will project an outdoors theme though. We're still just in the rough draft stages, so I can understand the confusion of this goblin taking over.

Everybody was just thinking that our forum wouldn't have any outdoor theme, but that's not the case. We're just introducing the bogley character for now.

DaveOU812
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I welcome the change. Not that UUtah was a bad thing but the way I see it, the more members, the more information. It's still a Utah based site. The content will still be mostly about Utah. I have made posts from when I lived in California/Iraq and it seemed to be embraced and not frowned upon. I've been on this site from the begining and at NO point did I ever think this was about money. It was for trip reports, planning trips, and most importantly fun. A place for everyone to share their outdoor stories. I with you guys no matter what the name changes too. After all...it's just a name. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
01-21-2008, 09:10 AM
:lol8: Allow me to expand on your new mascot...

Iceaxe
01-21-2008, 10:42 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

stefan
01-21-2008, 03:35 PM

http://uutah.com/forum/files/c3s_logo.jpg

i've enjoyed the view of mount bogley the past few days :2thumbs:

accadacca
01-21-2008, 03:44 PM
:lol8: Allow me to expand on your new mascot...
Uhhhh. . .might wanna keep that day job miner boy. :lol8:

stefan
01-21-2008, 03:56 PM
UUtah becomes Bogley - (bo-glee)

okay, okay, now that the smoke has cleared a little ... i've been dying to throw this up for some comic, er ... ironic relief.:haha:

all in jest.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/sc/thisisuutah.gif