PDA

View Full Version : Edward Abbey

FOX
01-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this but....I'm looking for information on Mr. Abbey beyond his books and the biography that's out on him. Anyone browsing these forums ever meet Abbey before he died in 1989...or know someone who did? Family members, friends, etc?? I'm involved in a project about him and need to expand my resources. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

CarpeyBiggs
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
See if you can get in touch with Jim Stiles of the canyon country zephyr, but don't tell him you know Shane... Someone on here once posted that they were friends up until Abbey passed. Also, I don't know names necessarily, but there are at least a couple locals in Moab who were friends with him. I bet Jim could put you in touch, if you were nice enough.

FOX
01-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks Dan. I'll give that a shot. :2thumbs:

Jaxx
01-11-2008, 08:59 AM
google his name. Had a ton of crap. Including www.abbeyweb.net

FOX
01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I've done all of that. There are several good websites about him, interviews, books, etc., but I need to go deeper.

Rev. Coyote
01-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Ken Sleight in Moab -- owner of Pack Creek Ranch -- was a dear friend of Ed's. Ken was the character "Seldom Seen Smith" in MWG.

Also, if you're feeling brave, you might check in with Lin Ottinger at the rock shop. He claims to have known Ed. But Lin bites if you catch him on the wrong day.

hank moon
01-15-2008, 04:54 PM
For a local contact, I've heard that Ken Sanders knew him.

http://www.kensandersbooks.com/ksb/about.html

Rev. Coyote
01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Kyrell: So tell us about your project! I'm a big Abbey fan -- even read Jonathan Troy fer chrissakes.

Iceaxe
01-18-2008, 04:30 PM
You can reach Jim Stiles here cczephyr@frontiernet.net

He claims to have been Ed's asshole buddy.... err.. somethin' like that.

o.c.utah
01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, call up ole' Jim Stiles (The canyon country's barney fife)...that old codger starts every sentence with "back when me and Ed Abbey were buddies..."

fouristhenewone
02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
so...what's the story on your project. ken sleight, ken sanders, jim stiles are all going to be good sources for information, but...well...let's just say I am interested in the purpose of you wanting this info.

FOX
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Kyrell: So tell us about your project! I'm a big Abbey fan -- even read Jonathan Troy fer chrissakes.

I'm working on a film about Abbey. It's still in the early stages but once the legalities get worked out I can give a full report. Most likely the end of Feb. That's about all I can say it at this point.

Thanks everyone for your input! It's helped me out immensely. :2thumbs:

gonzo
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Try Jim Jim Cahalan, too. He wrote "Edward Abbey: A Life", and does lectures about ol' Dead Ed every once in awhile down in Arizona and New Mexico. You can find his website here:
http://www.english.iup.edu/jcahalan/

You can try subscribing to AbbeyWeb, too. There's a lot of information there if you ask, but most of the content is definitely not Abbey related.