PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Iceaxe
01-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Just wanted to tell someone.... I had to drive up to Idaho for work today so I brought back 4 cases of Molson Ice (my favorite), a case of Corona's and a case of Modelo. Also brought back 6 bottles of really good Idaho wine.

I now have enough beer to make it to the end of the NFL season.

:five:

The wine is for a romantic evening with the hot young stripper wife...

:banana:

double moo
01-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Is it legal to transport alcohol across state lines? :ne_nau:

Did you give the state their fair share of taxes for the privelage of drinking it here in their state?

If you got one of those car wraps that look like a brown paper bag, then I believe it would be alright. :2thumbs:

asdf
01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
This topic has come up before so I called UHP as spoke with a Trooper. I was told yes it is illegal but unless you have packed a uhaul or have a large container (keg) there is no way you are going to get a ticket.

BTW oral sex is illegal in Utah.

sparker1
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Crap, I suppose there is a warrant or APB out for me.

Sombeech
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM

Is that a kind of beer?

Bad Karma
01-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Is that a kind of beer?

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

If it is I

donny h
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
beer

Yum.

Like Benjamin Franklin said "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

I was told yes it is illegal but unless you have packed a uhaul or have a large container (keg) there is no way you are going to get a ticket.

As far as I can tell, among Utahns, smuggling booze is more common than fishing.

If I was prosecuted for that I would tell the d.a. to blow me. :roll:

skybluesparrow
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
oral sex is illegal here?

haha thats hilarious! i dont want to believe this is true but somehow i do...whoops.
is there anything fun to do in utah that is legal?!

i cant even get into clubs here just to dance! i feel that i am being discriminated against because i was born in november 1987... sometimes a girl just wants to get down...is that so hard to do???

Sombeech
01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
sometimes a girl just wants to get down...is that so hard to do???

Getting down as well as going down - they'll both be a problem for you.

stefan
01-08-2008, 11:25 PM
As far as I can tell, among Utahns, smuggling booze is more common than fishing.

guilty :2thumbs:

asdf
01-09-2008, 04:48 AM
hehehe

DirkHammergate
01-09-2008, 05:29 AM
oral sex is illegal here?

haha thats hilarious! i dont want to believe this is true but somehow i do...whoops.
is there anything fun to do in utah that is legal?!

i cant even get into clubs here just to dance! i feel that i am being discriminated against because i was born in november 1987... sometimes a girl just wants to get down...is that so hard to do???

Normally Dirk would be all over this but, yeah, my cute little neices I used to change diapers and baby sit and still view them as little, well, they're older than you SkyBlue. Even the Hammer has his limits, shocking as it may be.

greyhair biker
01-09-2008, 06:22 AM
[quote=Summit42]BTW oral sex is illegal in Utah.

Is that a kind of beer?

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

If it is I

packfish
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Cooler on deck contents consist of--------- 1 six of Fat Tire
1 six of Moose Drool- a six of Spaten Premium, Optimator and the Franz- whatever. Also a six of the Wasatch Devastator. This will be an enjoyable weekend of cross country skiing- if it ever quits snowing up here.

Oh yea- there is a fifth of Kolstika KO in there also. That'some smooth shooting Sh**

JP
01-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I brought back 4 cases of Molson Ice (my favorite), a case of Corona's and a case of Modelo. Also brought back 6 bottles of really good Idaho wine.
We're not talking 3.2 I take it :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
01-09-2008, 01:19 PM

Nope

Molson Ice is 5.6%, you can buy it in Utah at the liquor store but the state nicks you $1.50 per bottle.

We can buy Corona's here but the case is stamped 3.2%. Some of the breweries cut their beer with filtered water to make the 3.2 grade and the beer will be marked in some manner. For example, Heineken 3.2 beer is identified by a red border around the bottle label. Many beers (bud, coors, miller) are already below 3.2% so no big deal. I've made several thousand dollars in my life because I know which beers at 3.2 and how many are marked. There is always some drunk willing to bet that Bud or Coors in Utah is different then other states.... nope, just make the bet, call the brewery and collect your cash.

cmpbiker
01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
What a crappy subject for me today, I gave up all booze for January to help me with some fitness goals. I really love beer, a lot. My favorite smuggle is anything from Rogue Brewing, Dead Guy is the best. Second favorite is Molsen Canadian.

stefan
01-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Nope

Molson Ice is 5.6%, you can buy it in Utah at the liquor store but the state nicks you $1.50 per bottle.

We can buy Corona's here but the case is stamped 3.2%.

for others playing along ...

Molson's 5.6% is alc. per volume
in Utah when someone says 3.2% this is alc. per weight ~ 4% alc. per volume

almost every liquor/wine/beer/etc. bottler labels in % by vol.

also 3.2%/4% means "less than or equal to"

Iceaxe
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
What a crappy subject for me today, I gave up all booze for January to help me with some fitness goals.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/SonicAndy/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Cirrus2000
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
for others playing along ...

Molson's 5.6% is alc. per volume
in Utah when someone says 3.2% this is alc. per weight ~ 4% alc. per volume

almost every liquor/wine/beer/etc. bottler labels in % by vol.

also 3.2%/4% means "less than or equal to"
Yes, this threw me at first. "3.2%? Yikes!" Then I found out it was by weight - so really about 4%. So that means that regular beer in Utah equals light beer here.

I'd much rather have half as much of an 8% Maudite, or a 9%, triple fermented, Trois Pistoles, both from Unibroue in Quebec. For their 11th anniversary a few years back, they put out "Onze" (Eleven). It was that many percent. Big, bold, beautiful.

I'm amused by the appreciation of Molson beers down there. Sheesh, if you like Molson, you'll love Kokanee. [/sarcasm]

My father in law asked me once whether I'd rather have a Kokanee or a Molson Canadian. Told him it was like asking if I wanted a cold or a flu... Um, neither, thanks. (Though Molson had some great "I Am Canadian" ads a few years back. Must look 'em up on YouTube. Probably have to be Canadian to get them, though.)

Iceaxe
01-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm amused by the appreciation of Molson beers down there.

I know what you mean.... back in the day when I was racing and Coors was illegal east of the Mississippi we would always load the hauler up with a couple pallets of Coors for the eastern swings.... Anyone remember the story line behind the original Smokey and the Bandit? Coors was worth a small fortune in Florida. We often paid for the eastern circuit swings with just the money we made from bootlegging Coors, money we made racing a bonus..... but the funniest part was walking into a local Harmon's Grocery Store and asking for "two pallets of Coors please..... just use your fork lift and load the pallets in the racing transporter parked out front." :haha:

To us Coors was just a Joe Sixpack beer....

stefan
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I'd much rather have half as much of an 8% Maudite, or a 9%, triple fermented, Trois Pistoles, both from Unibroue in Quebec. For their 11th anniversary a few years back, they put out "Onze" (Eleven). It was that many percent. Big, bold, beautiful.

love that stuff!!

Iceaxe
01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Marc O turned me onto Boddington's.... which is now my all time favorite. Good stuff, but expensive, even when I bootleg it in from WY.

Bo_Beck
01-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Is it about the amount of alcohol in the beer or the flavour? Or does the amount of alcohol in the "bier" make the flavour? If its about both, then count me in for San Miguel Beer, brewed and purchased in Cebu City, Cebu, Philipines: Not brewed in Hong Kong, not brewed in Manila, Not brewed in Madang, Papua, Not brewed in Australia.....brewed in Cebu City Cebu!

:rockon:

donny h
01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
There is always some drunk willing to bet that Bud or Coors in Utah is different then other states....

I'll take that bet. For zero dollars. Since my info is fresh from wiki, I'm not betting real money on it.

Yes, 3.2 means 4% by volume, but regular strength Bud/Coors isn't 4%, they're 5% (Miller HL 5.5), everywhere except the six states that require the lower content, referred to as low-point beer in the barley pop industry.

Low-point beer is also commonly sold at stadiums/arenas/events in many states.

donny h
01-09-2008, 06:45 PM
even when I bootleg it in from WY.

Just because you used the word 'bootleg', I have now authorized you to purchase a bitchin 30s muscle car for the express purpose of bootlegging. Grab me some Knob Creek while you're there.

P.S. Give Sombeech the bill for the car.

fire
01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Just wanted to tell someone.... I had to drive up to Idaho for work today so I brought back 4 cases of Molson Ice (my favorite), a case of Corona's and a case of Modelo. Also brought back 6 bottles of really good Idaho wine.

:banana:

What did that set you back? Homebrew is the route to go in a State such as this. 5 gal batch is $15-30 for ingredients and each batch is about 2.5 cases.
I brew on Sunday's as you can see the bible is out.

fire
01-09-2008, 06:55 PM
After brewing and cooling it goes into the fermenter.

fire
01-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Ferment for 7 days or so then into the vessel. Force carbonation and a product 2 days later. Total time, start to finish, 10 days. Heavier beers take longer as I have a Russian Imperial Stout (11%) that is 2 yrs old and a clone of Rogue Imperial IPA (9%).

In 2007 I brewed 100 gallons. It's great for summer parties.

fire
01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Here is the label for one of my better creations. It has ginger and galanga root in it. I also have a specialty porter with coffee.

Bo_Beck
01-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Here is the label for one of my better creations. It has ginger and galanga root in it. I also have a specialty porter with coffee.

Ok Bruce! Next hike, lets just forget the hike and try out your "Cache" and pretend we went hiking! :haha:

donny h
01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
In 2007 I brewed 100 gallons.

I don't know you, but there's just something about you that makes me want to be your very best friend.

Whaddya' say, BFF?

(BFF stands for beer from fireuseman)

fire
01-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Ok Bruce! Next hike, lets just forget the hike and try out your "Cache" and pretend we went hiking! :haha:

You're On! We can always do a x-country ski out the backyard.

fire
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
In 2007 I brewed 100 gallons.

I don't know you, but there's just something about you that makes me want to be your very best friend.

Whaddya' say, BFF?

(BFF stands for beer from fireuseman)

Come on down, there is always a keg in the garage. That is a standing welcome for anyone on this site who cares to visit. I also have a horse shoe pit in the front yard. It's more challenging in the snow! Or we could go skiing!

Cirrus2000
01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
fireuseman, I love a good Russian Imperial Stout. One of my favourites is North Coast's Old Rasputin - such a big, tasty beer! Back in the day (when I couldn't afford good beer) I used to make a bit of my own. I mostly just used kits - you know, big can of malt, blah blah blah. One time, with a stout kit, I doubled the malt, and messed around with it a bit. Out came the best beer I'd ever, ever made. It was years before I tasted anything like it again. First time I drank an Old Rasputin: "OMG, it's that old stout I made years ago!" Taste was almost identical; I cried like a little girl. (If any ladies are reading the "Beer" thread, please don't take offense.)

Bo, it's about the taste and the alcohol. Can't have one without the other. But the alcohol isn't just for the kick. Like I said though, I'd be happy to half as much of a stronger, tastier beer than a weaker, more watery beer. Same effect, with a happier tummy. :2thumbs: San Miguel? Mental note: Must try it out...

stefan
01-09-2008, 10:04 PM
fireuseman, I love a good Russian Imperial Stout. One of my favourites is North Coast's Old Rasputin - such a big, tasty beer! Back in the day (when I couldn't afford good beer) I used to make a bit of my own. I mostly just used kits - you know, big can of malt, blah blah blah. One time, with a stout kit, I doubled the malt, and messed around with it a bit. Out came the best beer I'd ever, ever made. It was years before I tasted anything like it again. First time I drank an Old Rasputin: "OMG, it's that old stout I made years ago!" Taste was almost identical; I cried like a little girl. (If any ladies are reading the "Beer" thread, please don't take offense.)

Bo, it's about the taste and the alcohol. Can't have one without the other. But the alcohol isn't just for the kick. Like I said though, I'd be happy to half as much of a stronger, tastier beer than a weaker, more watery beer. Same effect, with a happier tummy. :2thumbs: San Miguel? Mental note: Must try it out...

you're making me thirsty just reading this post. i am to'lly with you on the stout
:2thumbs:

stefan
01-09-2008, 10:16 PM
What did that set you back? Homebrew is the route to go in a State such as this. 5 gal batch is $15-30 for ingredients and each batch is about 2.5 cases.
I brew on Sunday's as you can see the bible is out.

kudos to you. brewing beer is not only a pleasure but a must in the great state of utah. :bud:

so, having spent time in arcata, i am sure you know the sublimely delicious steelhead scotch porter, one of my true favorites. the extra stout is excellent too, which i have found sometimes as far east as winnemucca rayley's. ahh mad river ...

donny h
01-09-2008, 11:06 PM
ahh mad river ...

Ohhh, fark, Mad River Brewery, I spent a month there one weekend.

The portabella sammich was hella dry, the pizza was skimpy, the nachos would make a Mexican weep, the wings could start a shootin' war with Buffalo, and none of that matters, because the brews are so good. Oh so good.

Stefan, dude, you know better than anyone that we could get an apartment on Manilla for like $500 a month. Within sight of the brewery? Commuting by kayak? DUI in a paddlecraft? (PUI?)

I'm thinking some sort of of time-share, a beer-share as it were, a fractional ownership for hop heads right there in Arcata. All we need is 52 UUTahns who will pay $115 a week for a beachfront spot in Arcata. Beer, clams, crabs, redwoods, and all-you-can-eat for hippys for one low low price.

I'll take one of the weeks with crappy weather, which is all of them, in Arcata...

donny h
01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Come on down, there is always a keg in the garage. That is a standing welcome for anyone on this site who cares to visit.

Oh jeebus, be careful what you wish for.

On one hand, I want to come down and be a pleasant and respectful guest in your home, to sample your carefully crafted brew, then politely move along.

But on the other hand, I want to ride my motorcycle down to your place, set up camp in your yard, drink most/all of your brew, insist on you telling/showing me all of the brewing tips that I need to make my own, then ride off into the sunset peacefully with goodwill all around (at the insistance of local law enforcement/property owners, court orders in hand).

It's more challenging in the snow!

Oh, there's no doubt about that!

cmpbiker
01-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Reading this is making me cry, stop it. I have decided after the Frozen Hog I am going to break my fast, probably about 5 feet past the finish line.

Iceaxe
01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I'll take that bet. For zero dollars. Since my info is fresh from wiki, I'm not betting real money on it.

Wiki :roflol:

Bring your checkbook dude..... like shooting fish in a barrel.... Minimum bet is $100..... Bud or Coors take your pick.... (I don't know crap about Miller so won't bet on it).

:cool2:

Iceaxe
01-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I've thought about home brewing but it looks like a lot of time consuming work and kind of expensive. I've taste some mighty fine home brew and some stuff that tasted a lot like ass.... seem's to be a large learning curve involved in home brew.

I usually spend enough time in Wyoming or Idaho that keeping my beer stock up is not a problem. During the summer whenever we get low we just head up to WY on Sunday morning, bet on the ponies at WY downs, fill the truck with beer and buy the kids a big bag of illeagal fireworks.... makes for a nice family outing.

:bud:

CarpeyBiggs
01-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Bring your checkbook dude..... like shooting fish in a barrel.... Minimum bet is $100..... Bud or Coors take your pick....

I'll play. Is Miller included as well?

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

Both of these say that the beer in question contain greater than 4 percent by volume (basically 5%). Also included is an interview with Mike Brennan, general manager of General Distributing Co., which handles Anheuser Busch beverages in Utah. He claims the beer is even LESS than 4 percent by volume in Utah, to make sure the state will not hassle them. Even explains the different manufacturing it takes to brew the Utah brew.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_n2_v49/ai_20387955

Another article from the DesNews, explains the difference is greatly exaggerated, but is still different.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,335007968,00.html

Iceaxe
01-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Sorry already excluded Miller.... I don't know anything about their beer...

I've never seen a case of Bud or Coors marked 3.2, have you? Companies that brew special 3.2 mark their cases to avoid shipping errors and getting into legal trouble in addition to pissing off customers (look at a case of Corona or Hinekien).

Just call the brew master at Coors, they will tell you they brew one beer....

:nod:

CarpeyBiggs
01-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I've never seen a case of Bud or Coors marked 3.2, have you? Companies that brew special 3.2 mark their cases to avoid shipping errors and getting into legal trouble in addition to pissing off customers (look at a case of Corona or Hinekien)

Yeah, you edited the Miller thing when I was replying. No worries, my references are about Coors and Budweiser anyways. I specifically provided a link that shows that Budweiser is brewed in two different varieties, which would mean you lost the bet.

And here is one more article supporting my argument about two separate brews, one full strength, and one 3.2 strength.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_39_54/ai_109569444

The articles also mention that there are in fact times when the wrong brews have been shipped out. It apparently has happened before.

But what do I know, I don't drink. I just wanted to make a quick $100, maybe offset the fantasy football money that I had taken from my hands as easily as candy from a baby.

CarpeyBiggs
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
And one more, from Coors, just for kicks.

http://www.coors.com/factsheets/FactsFigures07fnl.pdf

This is their official pdf which explains that Coors is in fact 5% abv. In Utah, it is sold at 4% abv.

Am I missing something? :ne_nau:

I'll pm you my paypal address.

Heather
01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Beer is good! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-I5hG4sr3M[/youtube]

Bo_Beck
01-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Great times, good people, great video! Dang though....didn't the limes get in the way?

tanya
01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Crap, I suppose there is a warrant or APB out for me.

:lol8: :popcorn: :eek2:

accadacca
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice avatar tanya. You been skiing? Not that I would EVER tell you to take down the pink shorts picture. :naughty:

tanya
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Nice avatar tanya. You been skiing? Not that I would EVER tell you to take down the pink shorts picture. :naughty:

Only enough to find out I can't ski :mrgreen:

accadacca
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
:lol8: Ahh come on, you look like a natural.

Back to the BEER talk! :pitcher:

fire
01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
:friday:

fire
01-10-2008, 09:58 PM

fire
01-10-2008, 10:03 PM

accadacca
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM

Only enough to find out I can't ski :mrgreen:

But enough to strike the sexy pose! Who cares about skiing. :numchucks:
Now we're talkin'! :five:

bruce from bryce
01-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Going back to the original post and the question on taxes. There is aline on your income tax form that asks if you have imported anything throughout the year. If everyone answered that truthfully Utah would have a huge surplus.

stefan
01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Going back to the original post and the question on taxes. There is aline on your income tax form that asks if you have imported anything throughout the year. If everyone answered that truthfully Utah would have a huge surplus.

hey bruce,

the unfortunate truth about utah is that except in very restricted circumstances you are not permitted to bring alcohol into the state, even under the seemingly reasonable presumption that you will pay taxes on it. that is to say, is it appropriate or even legal to claim it as a taxable import?

for very detailed information on when you are permitted to import, see this post from a little while back
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25167#25167

what this means is that you are subject to what the distributor carries and what the liquor and wine stores stock. special orders are accepted, but last time i asked about beer, i would have been required to purchase a pallet.

the bayou in downtown salt lake is an example of an establishment which has taken advantage of the ability to special order a great deal more of what the distributor can provide. comes at a pretty price though for those who frequent the bayou.

Heather
01-11-2008, 11:37 AM

Great times, good people, great video! Dang though....didn't the limes get in the way?

Limes are for gin n tonics not for beer. Drink Pacifico not limed Corona!

Ahem. Those are lemons in Hef. :friday:

asdf
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
:roflol:

stefan
01-11-2008, 01:13 PM
my shelves at work circa 2005

ode to beer
http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/sc/beershelves.jpg

the northern trend, unfortunately the bear republic bottles hadn't been included.

another excellent brewery i had the pleasure of enjoying during it's opening year was Stone Brewing Co. :2thumbs:

fire
01-11-2008, 02:56 PM

ode to beer
http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/sc/beershelves.jpg

the northern trend, unfortunately the bear republic bottles hadn't been included.

another excellent brewery i had the pleasure of enjoying during it's opening year was Stone Brewing Co. :2thumbs:

Nice Rogue collection. Do you have any of the glow in the dark labels? I have one Dead Guy that glows.

asdf
01-11-2008, 04:10 PM

ode to beer

ah very nice S-man.
I am particularly fond of of those Nectar Ales :cheers:

donny h
01-13-2008, 12:16 AM
plenty of floored space for spacy rockstarlets under my System Of A Down comforter.

Fixxed that for ya. :2thumbs:

donny h
01-13-2008, 12:23 AM
I have one Dead Guy that glows.

Is that a beer or one of your hippy buddies?

Here's the test, scream into it's ear "Phish is doing a free show at Red Rocks with String Cheese!"

If it runs to Colorado, well, it was never meant to be, if you love it set it free, and all that jazz.

If not imbibe and post pics. :naughty:

stefan
01-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Nice Rogue collection. Do you have any of the glow in the dark labels? I have one Dead Guy that glows.

the one in the photo is not. used to have some that were, i think they're put out around halloween. an x-gf of mine had a growler that was, if i remember correctly.

in the holiday spirit, did you brew a winter warmer this year?

DickHead
01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
This topic has come up before so I called UHP as spoke with a Trooper. I was told yes it is illegal but unless you have packed a uhaul or have a large container (keg) there is no way you are going to get a ticket.

So is having sex with a trout.
Or so Iv'e heard.

No molson ice for me. Where's the barf smiley?
I'll stick to microbrew beer. Unless its free...I'll drink your beer.....

:cheers:

fire
01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
[

in the holiday spirit, did you brew a winter warmer this year?

I did and I brewed it in June and it just came around this month. Rouge Imperial IPA. Mine is not as hoppy as there's but it has a smooth malty flavor and packs a whollop! Perfect for cold afternoons and warming up next to the fireplace.

fire
01-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Perfect icon for a brew to celebrate the name change!

tanya
01-18-2008, 09:13 AM
[quote=accadacca]Nice avatar tanya. You been skiing? Not that I would EVER tell you to take down the pink shorts picture. :naughty:

Just for you Scott. It's your pink girl gift to celebrate your new baby girl. :lol8:

http://bogley.com/forum/images/avatars/6924776764790d52dc065c.jpg