PDA

View Full Version : Dark Room Shootout: Farmington Bay

hallkc
01-08-2008, 03:25 AM
Yep. Both were shot here; http://greatsaltlakenaturecenter.org/homepage.html on Sunday and Monday Jan 6 & 7th. They tell me that more and more eagles will arrive between now and the middle of February. I wanna get back out there, so if anyone else wants to head out that way, let me know. I'd love some photography lessons from some of you pros... :hail2thechief:

rooster32
01-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Hmmm....I might be game...but definitely not a pro!

Can you get pretty close to the areas the birds are perched?

CarpeyBiggs
01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I split these out of the album discussion, so we can keep that album focused on pictures.

That said, I'm definitely interested in getting together and photographing some eagles. Prime time at Farmington Bay is probably February. Anyone who's interested, let's get a date sketched in, and make it happen.

Alex
01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
What kind of lens would you need to do that? Is there a place that rents lenses?

rooster32
01-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds like a plan!

Scott Card
01-08-2008, 02:08 PM
What kind of lens would you need to do that? Is there a place that rents lenses?

Nah. The lens is easy. What I need is the store that rents talent.

Joe Gardner
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Lets all get out there and shoot. I made it out there in Feb of 05. I have a photo of the eagle tree with 21 eagles on it somewhere around here... It was an amazing day, ~200 bald eagles within a mile of each other, a few golden eagles too!

I wish I had a quality telephoto, may need to rent one from pictureline...

CarpeyBiggs
01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Alex, you shoulda stuck to Canon... :haha:

I've got a couple of pretty big lenses I'd be willing to let people use while we are out there, but they are canon mount. Nikon boys would probably need to call pictureline. But, my thoughts are if there is that many birds within a square mile, you can get by with a 300mm lens or so?

hallkc
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm definately down... I wanna get some better shots, but more importantly, I want advice from some of you guys on how to compose better pictures. How does the first weekend in Feb sound? Maybe the 2nd, and again on the 3rd? With 2 seperate days, more people can participate!

If you really wanna rent a lens, you can do that here: http://www.pictureline.com/cat/463/_Lenses_SLR_Lenses/?mid=&rent=1&closeout=&page=&sortby=&viewall=1
They also rent out camera bodies, so anyone can get some gear for the day, and come out to play!

Pictureline comes off as a little pro-Canon, (at least to a Nikonian like me) but they're still the best thing around for photographers, and located in SLC :2thumbs:

Are you with me waltny? You won't do it... you're scared :lol8:

rooster32
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Yuck...all that canon stuff :twisted: :haha:

waltny
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm definately down... I wanna get some better shots, but more importantly, I want advice from some of you guys on how to compose better pictures. How does the first weekend in Feb sound? Maybe the 2nd, and again on the 3rd? With 2 seperate days, more people can participate!

If you really wanna rent a lens, you can do that here: http://www.pictureline.com/cat/463/_Lenses_SLR_Lenses/?mid=&rent=1&closeout=&page=&sortby=&viewall=1
They also rent out camera bodies, so anyone can get some gear for the day, and come out to play!

Pictureline comes off as a little pro-Canon, (at least to a Nikonian like me) but they're still the best thing around for photographers, and located in SLC :2thumbs:

Are you with me waltny? You won't do it... you're scared :lol8:

I suppose I wont, will I??? How about we go half's on that 2.8 80-200?

Ill be there adding to the Nikon camp. I got a sigma 70-300 D lens that is fairly sharp at F8 and it does allow you to get the little extra reach to get out there.

Alex, you will be a bit hard pressed to find some of the bigger lens fitting that 40x, should have just went with the D80 or D200....

What about you Jeffers?

waltny
01-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Yuck...all that canon stuff :twisted: :haha:
Indeed.... :2thumbs:

waltny
01-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Nah. The lens is easy. What I need is the store that rents talent.

Its called photoshop.... :cool2:

Alex
01-09-2008, 06:36 AM
D40 was 1/2 price of the D80 body only. Plus almost 1/2 the weight too. I have been happy with the D40, I suck at photography, so an idiot proof SLR works great for me. :naughty:

rooster32
01-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Probably want to avoid doing in on Feb. 9th. The UDWR is holding an Eagle watching seminar on that day. They are actually doing it on the weekends prior, but at different locations.

jowchie
01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
I've rented from pictureline everytime I'm assigned to shoot local rsl games.

I've also discovered that Pixels photo & frame also rents out lenses and studio lights at a decent rate compared to pictureline.

jiffers
01-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I have been wanting to stop by the last week or so, I've been right there in Centerville, had my camera with me and everything, but never have had the time to stop. :ne_nau: I stopped by a few times last year to see them also, but they were never there when I stopped by (between Jan and Feb) :doh: All I saw was a Perigrine Falcon (I think) and a hawk
So I would definitely be game to meet y'all up there and shoot around. I think it would be pretty cool

:2thumbs:

jiffers
01-12-2008, 07:16 PM
and a hawk

hallkc
01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Great shots Jiffers! I was out there yet again, and this time I got some shots with the water rippling around this great white egret... :lol2: :user: :bs:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/hallkchallkc/EgretWater3.gif

trackrunner
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
New objective now someone go get a picture of Pink Floyd out on the Great Salt Lake. That would be a find because it is believed he may have died in the winter of 2005-2006.

http://www.utahbirds.org/featarts/2004/PinkFloydJB2005b.jpg

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048200,00.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Salt_Lake

CarpeyBiggs
01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Anyone been out to the bay lately? Curious if there are any more eagles in yet.

rwpontius
01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I was at Farmington Bay this morning. I only saw 3 eagles perched in the "eagle trees." It looks as though the waterfowl hunt is still on. I would expect that more will come in once the hunt is over. After visiting Farmington Bay I ran into a someone who mentioned that the carp poisoning will begin shortly and also that more water would be let into Farmington Bay. FWIW the dead carp are why the eagles migrate there. I think they use rotenone which should be harmless to eagles.
I saw a number of kestrels on some of the posts. I always think those little falcons are one of the prettiest birds in the area.
RWP

accadacca
01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Great shots Jiffers! I was out there yet again, and this time I got some shots with the water rippling around this great white egret... :lol2: :user: :bs:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/hallkchallkc/EgretWater3.gif
MAGIC! :2thumbs: :lol8:

jiffers
01-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I stopped out at Farmington Bay this afternoon (probably not the best time, about 12:00), but I didn't see any eagles that were close enough to photograph (at least not with a 300mm). I saw a couple of large "specks" in a tree out in the middle of the wetlands, on the edge of the lake that could have been eagles (?) but I couldn't tell for sure. I did see a few peregrine falcons, and quite a few very large hawks, and a gorgeous barn owl. The lake is still pretty much completely frozen, so maybe they're waiting for the carp...

waltny
01-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Some of you guys still going to make it out there this weekend? Rumor has it that the carp have been poisoned and the eagles are out in force.

hallkc
02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll be there for sure! I stopped by after work, and saw about 7 eagles at the first bridge, feasting along side the gulls... plenty of poisoned carp for all the birds:)

Hope to see you all tomorrow! (I'll be in the red celica)

CarpeyBiggs
02-02-2008, 07:28 AM
I'll be there, but I won't make it until about noon. I'll be in a green xterra.