PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Pheasant Hunt 2007

shagster
01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Sorry this has taken so long to post, but it has been a busy month.

Anyways we (Glasscutter, Chase, Braden, Lane, and myself) headed to South Dakota to an undisclosed location :haha: for some good ol pheasant hunting. We ended up leaving Thanksgiving day and coming home the following Friday night. On the way we stopped at Mt. Rushmore since it was only 15 min out of the way. It was a pretty cool site to see since none of us had ever been there. I think it took us 17 hrs. or so driving time, it was longer than we had anticipated, but it was well worth the drive. We ended up having an excellent hunting trip. It was colder than a well diggers a__, it stayed under 25 degrees most of the week. I think the low was around -3 or so without factoring in the wind chill. The hotel we stayed at was packed with other hunters, but after talking to them it seemed we were the only ones getting into the birds. When I say getting into the birds I mean seriously getting into them. There were several fields we hunted were at least 300-400 pheasants came out. We were able to get some on video which will be posted soon (thanks to Sombeech for editing and compiling the video :2thumbs: ). We ended up harvesting around 90 birds between five of us. We had 4 dogs, three labs and one springer. My dog Elli, Braden's dog Izzi, and Lane's dog Corn did an awesome job. This was Corn's first hunting trip since he was only five months old. It was great to see the dog's work so well. Mark's dog Bo was on a leash the whole time so he didn't get to do much hunting, maybe next year. There is nothing better than to see your dog flush a mature rooster and then retrieve it back to your feet. It gets me all excited just thinking about it. It was truly a great trip. All I know is that I can't wait for next year. Enjoy the pictures and the video should be coming soon... :2thumbs:

EDIT - here's the video!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g0l-MiEhUl4

...and for you poor buggers who can't get YouTube at work, here it is on KSL Clips:
http://clips.ksl.com/kickapps/service/displayMediaPlayPage.kickAction?mediaType=VIDEO&mediaId=130870&as=5124

Sombeech
01-07-2008, 09:13 PM
We ended up harvesting around 90 birds between five of us.

Yowza! Nice.

I've almost got the video done, and will be throwing it on YouTube this week.

jumar
01-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Awesome! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
01-14-2008, 11:44 PM
The video's finally up. I've been deciding how to do the logo in the corner, let me know what you guys think. Is it legible?

I put it on Youtube and KSL Clips. The Youtube version is better.

Jaxx
01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
logo looks good, its a touch hard to read.

That looks like a cramped back seat for 17 hours :haha:
How long does it take to clean a bird, minutes wise. How did you train your dog to go find the birds. Sorry for all of the questions. I bought a shotgun thinking I would get into pheasant hunting but it never panned out.

shagster
01-15-2008, 11:53 AM
The video's finally up. I've been deciding how to do the logo in the corner, let me know what you guys think. Is it legible?

I put it on Youtube and KSL Clips. The Youtube version is better.

Looks good beech, thanks again for doing all the grunt work... :2thumbs:

shagster
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
logo looks good, its a touch hard to read.

That looks like a cramped back seat for 17 hours :haha:
How long does it take to clean a bird, minutes wise. How did you train your dog to go find the birds. Sorry for all of the questions. I bought a shotgun thinking I would get into pheasant hunting but it never panned out.

Well to answer a couple of your questions, depending on how fast and good you are at cleaning birds you can do it in under 5 min. I can get it done in 1-2 min. As far as training your dog to retrieve, it takes a lot of time and patience. You can use a dummy bird or the real thing. The main thing is to spend time working with the dog every day. Some dogs are natural retrievers and don't take much work at all, but depends on the breed. I think one of the best experiences for my dog was to actually go out and hunt pheasants, she figured it out fairly quickly, then with some fine tuning you can have yourself a great bird dog. There is also the route of professinal training, then you don't have to do anything. The cons to this method is it is very costly and you don't get the time to bond with your dog. Hope this helps.

Sombeech
01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Did you know there's a complete City of Gold hidden within Mt Rushmore?

http://www.uutah.com/forum/files/south_dakota_nov._2007_005__small_.jpg

Jaxx
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Well to answer a couple of your questions, depending on how fast and good you are at cleaning birds you can do it in under 5 min. I can get it done in 1-2 min. As far as training your dog to retrieve, it takes a lot of time and patience. You can use a dummy bird or the real thing. The main thing is to spend time working with the dog every day. Some dogs are natural retrievers and don't take much work at all, but depends on the breed. I think one of the best experiences for my dog was to actually go out and hunt pheasants, she figured it out fairly quickly, then with some fine tuning you can have yourself a great bird dog. There is also the route of professinal training, then you don't have to do anything. The cons to this method is it is very costly and you don't get the time to bond with your dog. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

jumar
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Did you know there's a complete City of Gold hidden within Mt Rushmore?

http://www.uutah.com/forum/files/south_dakota_nov._2007_005__small_.jpg

:lol8:
Just watched that last night. I'm in Dallas on business, and get bored after work. Probably go see another movie tonight. :nod:

offpiste
01-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Nice hunt and report.

Sombeech
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Nice hunt and report.

Tru dat. I keep getting invited, one of these days I'll make it.