PDA

View Full Version : Cool Snowbird Ski Patrol video from National Geographic

FirstTracks
01-06-2008, 06:59 AM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid263777579/bclid430296467/bctid269000886

Jaxx
01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
That would be an awesome job. What are the qualifications that they have. EMT certs? ammunition training? ski skill level, etc. What do they do during the summer?

Brian in SLC
01-07-2008, 10:21 AM
That would be an awesome job. What are the qualifications that they have. EMT certs? ammunition training? ski skill level, etc. What do they do during the summer?

The pro patrol guys seem to have to be able to ski, for sure. National Ski Patrol volunteers, maybe not so much (har har).

Pretty sure most of them are EMT certified. They have to pass drug tests as well (probably the hardest part of the job for some...hee hee).

Summer? Some do trail work or maintanence at the ski area. Some work their "other job" (ie, ski patrol full time in the winter then EMT, nurse, etc part time then switch to full time in the summer).

The lucky ones manage their trust funds. Or, go on holiday while the spouse pays the bills. Some probably manage to say, "can I take your order please" at the fast food window. Some pound nails.

Some climb Everest.

http://www.deancardinale.com/

Might be an awesome gig for a short while, but, most folks dabble with it for a few years then decide that free skiing is the way to go, and find another career (or go back full time to their main job). Be a tough job, for not great pay. And, the risk is fairly high for gettin' hurt or worse.

-Brian in SLC

FirstTracks
01-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Credentials vary widely. I was a sled dog for nearly a decade back in Vermont. Some patrols require EMT, some just for paid pros. Many National Ski Patrol-affiliated units simply use NSP's Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC). Some units have auxiliary patrollers, those who are valued for medical skills but who need more time to develop skiing and sled-running skills. Obviously around here some patrollers need to be explosives-certified, something we didn't need back at Jay Peak (although I remember one massive slide of manmade snow on Can-Am! <g>).

If you're interested in working as either a pro or a vollie where they have volunteers, the best firat step is to chat with that ski area's patrol director.

Jaxx
01-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I have definitely been thinking about it lately. Maybe in the next couple seasons I will get more serious. Thanks for the info!