PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Winch Masters - video **MUST SEE**

Sombeech
01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Red Bull Winch Masters

On July 31st the top 24 wakeboarders and wakeskaters from North America were shuttled from Toronto to Deerhurst Golf Course and Resort to compete in the first ever Red Bull Winch Masters.
Red Bull worked closely with local wake crew, the Muskoka Militia and builders Jim Brace and Jesse Page, to come up with this first of it's kind wake event. Red Bull Winch Masters is a combination of the PGA's Masters Tournament and the emerging winch engine pulled wakeboard and wakeskate trend. The entire Lakeside Course at Deerhurst was taken over by insane rail set-ups built on the water hazards and teams of riders sessioned each obstacle. There were six, four-man teams competing for the top three spots in the finals.
In line with the golf theme, riders judged each other on score cards filled out on each water hazard and the top riders battled it out in the head-to-head finals competing for the cash purse, golf clubs and the coveted, 'Green Jacket.' Great lengths were made to make this a rider's contest, including each pro having their own golf cart and caddy wearing a personalized Red Bull Winch Masters caddy bib and visor.
Media coverage was heavy as many Wake magazines and video companies were hungry to capture the world's best riders in such a unique environment. Local media outlet, A-Channel, also came out to report on the event when hearing about it.
The stacked field included names like Harf, Lidberg, Ruck, Taylor, Hansen and Shinn as well as Red Bull athletes Brian Grubb, Parks Bonifay, and JD Webb. It was also an opportunity to showcase some top local talent like Ontario wakeskater Nick Harlos who made it all the way to the final and 15 year old Quebec wakeboarder Rafael Derome who showed he's one to watch. Grubb was the guest of honour as the after-party also doubled as his 27th birthday celebration.
After an amazing day of riding and two days of special treatment at Deerhurst Resort, the riders went home stoked, media went home with loads of amazing content, and golfers just went home confused.

RESULTS:

Wakeskate
1) Clint Tompkins
2) Nick Harlos
3) Ryan Doyle

Wakeboard
1) Shawn Watson
2) Keith Lidberg
3) JD Webb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejsSIxQqKo0

accadacca
01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Ah man, we've GOT to get something setup this summer.

Sombeech
01-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Yeah, I think I've got a good spot. We may have to start out with the ATV pulling us around, just to test it out.

Jaxx
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
What happens when they fall? Those rails don't look very forgiving. Sweet video.

accadacca
01-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I think I've got a good spot. We may have to start out with the ATV pulling us around, just to test it out.
We could just take the tire off like they did. How about liberty park. :lol8:

Sombeech
01-03-2008, 07:01 PM
We've got a little pond about 100 yards long on our property that would be great for this.

shagster
01-04-2008, 09:59 PM
We've got a little pond about 100 yards long on our property that would be great for this.

Which pond are you talking about. I am not sure that I would dare get in the one across the tracks, and the one behind laynes house is almost dry during the summer. We would have to talk him into leaving water in it. I know there is a track around the outside you could ride an ATV on. Worth a shot.

moab mark
05-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I saw on tv the other night that someone at Powell is going to have a winch pull. Does anyone know how when you fall do they pick you back up? I wonder if they back the cable up or it comes back around. Winch pulls have become popular in Florida.
Mark