PDA

View Full Version : Torch Run

jiffers
01-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only moron that stood out in the freezing cold on the night of New Years eve to watch even bigger "morons" skiing down the mountain with road flares. Just thought I'd share a photo or two, and see if anyone else took pics or participated in the grand event

jiffers
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
here's #2

waltny
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Very impressive, where was this?

jiffers
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
OK, so I lied, here is one more

waltny
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Is 200 your lowest ISO setting on the D70? It is on my D70s and I get a bit of noise at longer night exposures, what are you doing to keep the noise down?

accadacca
01-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, where at?

jiffers
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
That is one of my biggest beefs about the d70, is that 200 is the slowest speed it has. It does however have a long exposure setting (although I think it comes on automatically for longer exposures), which reduces a lot of the noise, but it takes twice as long for the camera to process (cuz it takes a pitch black photo of the same exposure, and then everywhere there is noise (ie. not pitch black) it will replace that pixel in the actual photo with a black pixel). Not the best solution, but better than nothing. What I usually do is a painstaking process of fixing it manually in Photoshop. When the camera doesn't do a satisfactory job eliminating the noise, I'll blow the photo up to actual pixels, and use the heal feature in photoshop, and go through and touch up every affected pixel. Most of these photos were relatively short exposure (30 sec or less), so the noise on most of them wasn't too bad

jiffers
01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, where at?

Sorry, I forgot to say that it was at Alta ski resort, in Little Cottonwood Canyon

ivinsoffroad
01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
These are some nice pictures, of a great Utah tradition. I wish I could have been there and taken some pictures that I could have contribute.

Thanks for sharing with us what we all missed.

p.s. You are an amazing photographer.