PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Weights

Sombeech
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm considering buying some ankle weights to help my knee heal. Would you guys suggest wearing them on both legs, or just my injured leg?

cachehiker
01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I used to train some with ankle weights to build speed for soccer. I found them to be rather hard on my knees and ankles. To this date, I wonder if they're at least partially responsible for my extremely tight right hamstring. I pulled it at about the same time and continued playing through minor but chronic hamstring injuries throughout that season.

I don't consider this advice, just experience. Hopefully, there's somebody here with more of a personal trainer type background.

Sombeech
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
How much weight did you wear, what was your daily routine, and for how long?

tallsteve
01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I use to wear ankle weights when I was playing allot of b-ball until a trainer told me they are VERY bad for you. Of course this was years ago but I would still research it carefully before going that route. You might want to ask Dr. Bruce over at UMB and see what his experience has been.

Shan
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
I'd get the PT or doc's OK with that first! It could do more harm than good.

Scott Card
01-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Nahhh. Don't waste money on ankle weights. Just get a couple of neighbor kids to sit on your feet. Then you just walk around the block. I got a couple of kids I could lend to you.....and a couple of neighbor kids I could give to you. :haha:

greyhair biker
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
buy you a pair of heavy steel toed work boots and wear em around for 12 hours a day...oh wait...that's me :lol8:

cachehiker
01-03-2008, 08:20 AM
How much weight did you wear, what was your daily routine, and for how long?

I believe they were only 3 lbs. each but it was a long long time ago. Depending upon which practice I was participating in I would either warm up wearing them for a few laps around the soccer or baseball field or run steps with them if it was a track and field day.

It was kinda pointless really. Soccer was not sanctioned so I couldn't letter in it. I never did score a point for the track team, and I was never once put on the roster for the baseball team either.

offpiste
01-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd get the PT or doc's OK with that first! It could do more harm than good.

I would definitely ask if would be good. Depending the level of reconstruction it could set you back.

denaliguide
01-03-2008, 08:00 PM
i think about 3 lbs each would be about right and only wear them while swimming. thats easier on the knee. :twisted:

Sombeech
01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I think I've decided against them for the time being.