PDA

View Full Version : Bunny blasting in Nephi

Gutpiler_Utahn
12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
So, I've decided I can't take it anymore. I'm heading down to my usual spot just outside of Nephi on BLM land for some hunting of the bunnies. Haven't been there since May and there were a LOT of sign at the time, though I only got one of the several that I saw.

Anybody down my way interested in coming along? I think I need to load up some more .44Mag ammo for my Winnie 94 before I head out. I'll have to check my supply first. If you're interested, send me a PM with your phone number and we'll set something up.

I don't have a video camera, only your run of the mill digital camera. Regardless of whether I'm hoofing it alone or with others, I'll post pics. :2thumbs:

accadacca
12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Ewww looking forward to the pix. I have had two little ones sick the last few days and a very pregnant wife. Yup, I'm out! :nono: :haha:

Gutpiler_Utahn
01-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Well I got out there but couldn't find my spot of choice. On my way back through the area, I stopped at a new spot where some bunny hunters had just stopped and were gearing up to go. After a short chat, we determined that I had no idea where I was going and they invited me along. We walked around and almost right away saw a big jack about 20yds ahead. I let a round or two fly from my .44 Mag and missed. By the time I saw him again, he was a good 125-150yds away. This didn't stop the others by any means. One of the fellas had a .300 Win Mag and let several hunks of lead fly, but nobody could connect and it decided Colorado was a safer place to be.

A short while later, a smaller jack flies across my shooting zone and I let another 240gr hollow point fly. Unfortunately, I forgot to lead like I would with a shotgun and the snow flew just behind him. In the end, he made it another 100yds or so before getting tagged by that .300. I didn't bother to look at the carnage. :ne_nau: Not 10 steps later, another one head away from me, but not in my shooting zone, so I call a warning to the guys off to my right. His flight ended with several blasts from a .40 Glock look-a-like. We walked a LOT more, head into some cedars, and this big jack comes tearing through our midst and heads off behind us. A fella with a BLR in .223 swings on him, fires a shot, and people start laughing. I'm looking around and all I can see is fur floating on the wind. I have to admit, seeing the carnage from a .223 Ballistic Tip made me grin.

That was the last bunny that didn't break a good 150 yds in front of us. Didn't really see any more to speak of, though there were fresh tracks EVERYWHERE. Also saw some older footprints so I figure somebody got the about a week ago and they were still spooked. I'll give it a month before I head back to that spot.

On another note, I did see quite a bit of coyote & bobcat tracks, many of which were fresh. Once I get set up, I may have to make a few stands out there. :2thumbs: Sorry for the lack of pictures. I left my camera in the car by accident and didn't rightly feel like dragging the decimated carcasses back to the car for some glamour shots. :roll: Not like any of them would be acceptable on here anyways. :roll:

All in all, I had a lot of fun and met some nice guys. A successful day in my book...

Oh, and I also learned that I'm out of shape. I was so thankful to find that big rock on the side of that hill. When i got home, I tried getting out of my car and my legs were jello. :popcorn:

accadacca
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Not like any of them would be acceptable on here anyways. :roll:
What would make you say that. :lol8: :assault:

fourtycal
01-04-2008, 07:24 AM
One of the fellas had a .300 Win Mag and let several hunks of lead fly

:roflol: Thats great! Thanks for the story, it made my day
:haha:

DAA
01-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Great TR. Sounds like a fun day!

- DAA

Rev. Coyote
01-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I assume you used the meat and hides?

Glockguy
01-17-2008, 01:48 AM
He did use them :roflol:

Rev. Coyote
01-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Just trying to differentiate whether this is hunting or blood sport.

We have a raucous local debate going on around here (mountains of Virginia) about cockfighting, and I think there's some similarities. (Of course, leave it to the state that brought you "rubber truck testicle" legislation to also have a problem with people getting their jollies watching chickens kill each other.)

Sombeech
01-17-2008, 07:01 AM

:lol8:

Next time, just use "Slaughter" in the title. Then nobody will wander into the hunting forum and be shocked when something got killed.

EDIT: My mistake. Blasting makes the statement pretty clear. I've never sewn together a Bunny Blanket after I've blasted the pelts. Do you know how much stitching that takes???? My wife would be very busy.

Rev. Coyote
01-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Next time, just use "Slaughter" in the title. Then nobody will wander into the hunting forum and be shocked when something got killed.

It doesn't shock me anything gets killed, as I use my fair share of venison (yuuummmmmm). I'm genuinely wondering what is the fun in shooting animals you have no intention of eating. That doesn't qualify as hunting, but rather, blood sport.

Wanna just work out some frustrations blasting stuff apart? I can dig it. But use inanimate stuff. We used to tear up televisions with our SKS rifles, a "sport" I highly recommend. Let the Jacks live another day (unless, of course, you're hungry).

Gutpiler_Utahn
01-18-2008, 09:31 PM
There's more to it than the kill. I can promise you that if I had made a kill, I would have tried to salvage what I could. I am looking forward to trying a new recipe I have for jacks. The other side of it is using jacks, which are considered pests and need to be thinned regularly, to help improve your shooting abilities. If I can hit a jack who's heading for the next county, then it's because I've practiced a lot in those circumstances that require instantaneous thought of where to aim, what to look for, and a general awareness of my surroundings. This will allow me to make better hits on the bigger game I seek. "Aim small, miss small." And any rabbits that are left behind serve a purpose to feed the predators of the area as well. In nature, nothing goes to waste, but I think you know that.

A jack rabbit isn't too hard to kill, which is one of the important differences here. If I even clip a jack, he's not getting far and will suffer minimally. If I did the same thing to a deer or elk, you can bet that animal would take off and likely suffer a terrible end. As an outdoorsman, I believe it's my responsibility to make the animal's passing as quick as possible.

I can appreciate what you are saying Rev. I'm not one to waste an animals life for meaningless entertainment. I've got an Xbox for that. But if some rabbits, whose numbers need to be thinned anyways, have to give their life to ease the passing of larger game, then it is not a life wasted, but a sacrifice worthy of mother nature.

Pass judgement on those of us who enjoy this past time if you will, but when I make a shot that is only possible because of the jacks I've practiced on, I will be all the more thankful and the meat I harvest all the more appreciated.

Rev. Coyote
01-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I can appreciate what you are saying Rev. I'm not one to waste an animals life for meaningless entertainment. I've got an Xbox for that. But if some rabbits, whose numbers need to be thinned anyways, have to give their life to ease the passing of larger game, then it is not a life wasted, but a sacrifice worthy of mother nature.

Well, OK, I guess. But you're going to feel REALLY BAD when you approach one of your kills and find a basket and a bunch of colored eggs spilled out on the ground.

So: Ever shoot a TV???

rooster32
01-19-2008, 04:53 PM
TV and appliance blasting is pretty common. It's great when I'm out hunting chukars or other "things" and my bird dog ends up with a piece of glass in her foot from some azz who dumped a pickup load of "targets" out and left the pieces scattered around...

My vote is for the bunnies....the coyotes and birds of prey normally clean those up in short order, unlike the tv poachers.....

Have fun!

Iceaxe
01-19-2008, 05:05 PM

The PETA group is meeting down the hall on your right.

:roll:

DAA
01-19-2008, 05:41 PM
TV and appliance blasting is pretty common. It's great when I'm out hunting chukars or other "things" and my bird dog ends up with a piece of glass in her foot from some azz who dumped a pickup load of "targets" out and left the pieces scattered around...

My vote is for the bunnies....the coyotes and birds of prey normally clean those up in short order, unlike the tv poachers.....

Have fun!

:2thumbs:

Try getting laid if you need to relieve tension. Works for me :rockon: .

- DAA

Rev. Coyote
01-19-2008, 09:59 PM

Have fun!

I clean up my shit. Responsible sportsman that I am.

(Never shot a flat screen....)

Is chukar hunting like quail hunting? Do you employ setters or pointers?

Rev. Coyote
01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Try getting laid if you need to relieve tension. Works for me.

- DAA

This coming from a person who shoots dogs. Come one, dude, you're kidding no one.

You're right on with the nookie angle. But we can't **** ALL the time!

Rev. Coyote
01-19-2008, 10:04 PM

The PETA group is meeting down the hall on your right.

I hold no truck with PETA, and you would know that if you'd read my posts.

So tell me -- is it hunting or blood sport?

Gutpiler_Utahn
01-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Have fun!

This is the exact reason I don't take most of those targets with me to the range. If I want spectacular exploding stationary targets, then I bring a few 12 packs of soda and/or some fruit. Soda explode well and the cans hold together for the most part. Fruit... well, everything in the general area appreciate the orange/apple/pineapple pulp left behind. :2thumbs:

I've never taken a TV out for my own target practice, but have shot the tv's others have left. Since I'm all about cleaning things up to how it was or a little better every time I'm out, cleaning up glass is not my idea of a good time. As a kid, I always loved taking empty soda can weighed down with some rocks and throwing them in flowing water. Trying to shoot the cans as they floated by was always challenging and lots of fun, but now that I know the consequences of those actions, I'll stick with jacks. :nod:

Rev. Coyote
01-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Had a friend used to live next to an auto junkyard, and the owner used to let us shoot up cars before they went in the crusher.

That sort of fun should be illegal.

accadacca
01-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I used to shoot up G.I. Joe guys in the back yard, back when I was a little shit. DIE SNAKE EYES!! :lol8:

Gutpiler_Utahn
01-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I used to shoot up G.I. Joe guys in the back yard, back when I was a little shit. DIE SNAKE EYES!! :lol8:

I used to do that with fireworks and GI Joes. :2thumbs: Good ol' fashion fun. :nod:

greyhair biker
01-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, here's one to think about...our 'youth group' has been asked several times by local beef ranchers who cant do it themselves to go out on their property and 'clean house'. Or, to rid the property of prarie dog towns crippling their cattle. Just picture it....a half dozen or more young punks ( and their dads) with more armament than you could count declaring open season on the prarie dogs.....now THAT'S good family entertainment!
WARNING! THE FOLLOWING VIDEO IS GRAPHIC>>>>GET A GRIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvMzDWHVKLQ

DAA
01-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Prairie dog shooting, family style - :2thumbs: .

http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/kaycee2007/websize/IMG_1393.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/kaycee2007/websize/IMG_1419.jpg

http://www.rmvh.com/images/GIF/SkyJuice128.gif

http://www.rmvh.com/images/GIF/RocketDog.gif

- DAA

COUNTRYBOY
01-23-2008, 06:51 AM
AAH... prairie dog shooting. That brings back memories of being a kid. Spent one whole summer moving sprinklers and shooting prairie dogs. As for rabbits, I plugged a few of them. It was all done in the name of varmint control. :wink: :gap:

Sombeech
01-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Prairie Dogs... I keep trying to get REDFOX to take me hunting.