PDA

View Full Version : Freezefest / Hog 1, Blarney, Shenanigans conditions

shaggy125
12-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Went down for a couple days of freezefest in North Wash, nights were COLD, days were pleasant but not the upper 40's lower 50's like last time I went. I met Scott Card for just a minute but decided him, John, and Steve Jackson are the greatest canyoneers ever and they can come on any of my trips (they cooked up an AMAZING dutch oven dinner for the 30 or so people packed in to Sandthrax on Friday night,) you guys rock!

The main crew wasn't there when we showed up (apparently they were camped out on White Roost) so we did our own thing, Boss Hog and Blarney were both bone dry. Shenanigans the next day was even better the second time (WOW was it good) and only had a couple avoidable pools (except the pool at the end which is never dry). We set up a guided rappel over the final pool so most didn't have to do the ledge traverse. Tom and some others went high over the final super skinny section, Tom is going to add this option to his online route description. I like the squeezing but Tom said the stem is "very good" if you are comfortable with that sort of thing, I may try it out next time. Stefan was grinning ear to ear because he finally got to finish the entire canyon. Great trip, my friend brought his 16 year old brother who conveniently started feeling sick (he was complaining about how cold it was at night the entire time) so we left a little early but I might try to make it back down for the last couple days.

Eric.

Scott Card
12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Went down for a couple days of freezefest in North Wash, nights were COLD, days were pleasant but not the upper 40's lower 50's like last time I went. I met Scott Card for just a minute but decided him, John, and Steve Jackson are the greatest canyoneers ever and they can come on any of my trips (they cooked up an AMAZING dutch oven dinner for the 30 or so people packed in to Sandthrax on Friday night,) you guys rock!

Thanks. It was great to meet you in person. I watch your videos and see your photos but it is always nice to shake the hand of the real person. BTW, I only feed people to distract them from analyzing my abilities or lack thereof. I figure if they have been fed, they will cut me some slack in the canyon. :haha: I am only speaking for myself of course, as Steve Jackson is in fact the real deal in canyons. Also, credit for the flavor of the food goes to John, our dutch oven master. I am merely the shopper and the kitchen help. I look forward to your posts/photos on your trips. Great time that Freezefest.

tanya
12-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Very nice guys! :2thumbs: