PDA

View Full Version : A true rookie question - need bike.

Scott Card
12-26-2007, 05:04 PM
OK, folks. I am a true mtn. bike rookie. I haven't purchased a bike since I was in college. I now have one in the basement from Mrs. Claus but don't know if it is a good rookie bike or not. I will not be riding competitivly or even trying to look particularly cool on the trail but I would like some bang for my mountain bike buck. Any suggestions on a good noobie bike? I will be using it for exercise and rides with the kids. A little help please. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
12-26-2007, 07:45 PM
You say you have it in your basement? What model?

It all comes down to what you want to do with it.

WalMart bikes are perfectly fine if you want to ride around the block once a month, but if you want to hit a 10 mile mountain trail once a week, that's when you start looking seriously at your components.

accadacca
12-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Yup, what ya got? Photos? Let's get out the text books fellas. :haha:

LeftyLover
12-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Let's hear what you've got. We'll tell you what we think. You're in good hands with all us here in La-La-bike-world.

Scott Card
12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
My justification in wanting a bike came back to bite me. I really wanted a mountain bike but I told my wife that I could save money if I had a bike to go to Church meetings. I got a "comfort bike" made by Columbia and it is going back to the store. Yes I would ride to meetings but I really wanted it to do some trail riding AND go to church meetings and ride with my kids. So really a mountain bike is what I want. I don't think I will be doing a serious ride each week but really I would want one that I could do a few serious rides during the summer when I am not in a canyon.

TreeHugger
12-27-2007, 06:37 AM
My advice is to spend a little extra to get a "good" bike, you will be much happier. You dont have to spend a fortune, but spending only three or four hundred on a "Wall Mart bike" you'll regret. Really, a "cheap", heavy bike is hard to ride, particularly around here, and will hinder your enjoyment quotient, and if you dont love it, you wont want to continue doing it, and if you love it anyway, you'll want to upgrade quickly anyway.

There are many bikes to look for and a bike purchase is really personal as far as fit and comfort. Get out there and try some, demo or rent for a day here or there, or borrow a friend's . Specialized and Giant make great entry level bikes, you might check those out to start.

Good luck, and welcome to the fold!! :-)

accadacca
12-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Also if you want to go used check Craig's list and KSL. :2thumbs: You could post here with what you find and let the peeps kick the tires.

Scott Card
12-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks, I think I will start with KSL and Craig's list. And I agree that I do want to spend a bit more for better quality. I will post what I find. I do have a brother-in-law who is a avid mountain biker and I am sure he will want some input also on my decision.

greyhair biker
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
First thing I'd do is start hitting the bikeshops in SLC (only ones I know of down there) and start demo riding. You should be able to find one for around $500 to $800 in most any reputable brand. If you do this you'll be able to get into a basic bike and when you want to upgrade you'll be able to unload the first bike...you cant just 'unload' a cheap Walmart bike, you're just out the $100 or so you put down. Trek, Raleigh, Haro, and Giant make decent entry level bikes, as well as the big names...Gary Fisher, Specialized..etc. I could go on and on here but the very KEY thing to do is go test em out to find one that fits your body geometry. If you cant do that youre gonna waste your money. Take a friend with you and you wont feel so overwhelmed when the snotnosed kid comes up to you and doesnt know how to size you a bike or tries to push a bike on you that you just wont be cofortable riding...ie; wont ride cause it's no fun at all.

...I shouldda read Trees' enrty closer...we said the same thing :haha: :five:

LeftyLover
12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
I fully agree with all these guys. I work at a bike shop in Kaysville and would be happy to help you find a bike, but it might be too far for you to travel. Cannondale and Jamis both make great bikes. I know you get a little more for your money with those bikes than with Specialized. I'm not against Specialized at all, in fact I raced with 3 different Specialized Epic bikes over the last couple years. I've just compared price-to-components that's all. If I had to start over, I'd start with Cannondale or Jamis... Honestly. Do what you want, but we're here to help.

Off the subject, but good news everybody! I ordered my Cannondale Taurine carbon hardtail team replica bike today! I can't wait! It's shipping Feb 1st. 2008. That's just around the corner. I'll have to post some pictures of it when it comes in. It's a very good looking bike.

kris
12-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I was in a similar boat. I wanted a bike to crew a few trails, and run the dog with. I found a 2008 Raleigh Mojave bike brand new, for $350 off KSL. I spent at least three weeks checking the classifieds. It has disc brakes, and some decent entry level components.

Also, after I picked up my bike, my wife wanted one. After another two weeks, I finally found a 05 Specialized Rockhopper for $100. It will need some new gear come summer. But it was a good purchase as far as I was concerned.

Take the time to check them out, and don't jump on the first "deal" you come across. As always, these guys can help also.

adadaead
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Well here is my two cents. If you looking to spend less then a $1000, on a NEW bike then look into getting a hardtail bike (that means it doesn't have a rear shock). For a $300-$800 you will get a supreme mountain bike. Go to local shops, but my recomendation is Specialized Hardrock (it lives up to its name), i think treck and giant makes good hardtails too. If you looking to buy a full suspension bike, then don't spend more then $2000 on it. Cannondale prophet 4 is perfect, its not fragile like hose uberXC bikes and its not too heavy. It will suit your experience level from begginer and as you progress.