PDA

View Full Version : Dog Booties

kris
12-22-2007, 08:37 PM
So, I have a question. Does anyone who frequently takes their dog on winter trips, use dog booties? My golden retriever absolutely loves the snow. But when I take her snow shoeing her feet tend to get icy clump buildup. When she stops to bite it all off, it tends to get worse as the slobber freezes.

I have been looking at different brands of booties online, and in REI. I was just curious if anyone had feedback on any particular kind.

Thanks

Udink
12-22-2007, 08:45 PM
This is my first winter as a dog owner, and I have the same questions as you. I've taken my dog hiking three times in the snow so far this year, and two of the times I've had problems with the snow. Once there was a lot of ice buildup, and another time she got a pretty bad cut on one of per paws (that may or may not be due to the snow). All I know for sure is that I will be buying some dog booties as soon as possible. Any help on which kind to get would be much appreciated. :D

Felicia
12-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Do not have feedback regarding snow issues, but my dog wears booties on certian hikes because of shale. He destroyed his feet so bad on a day trip on Bedford Peak here is SoCal, that he could not stand/walk for three days.....felt really bad for him.

We tried a couple of different styles and settled on Ruffwear 3d bark'n boots from REI.

He looked really funny trying to walk in them in the beginning, but in no time got used to them. He wore them around the house a bit at first, then short walks around the neighbourhood and now long hikes.

Also, the boots work great when we visit homes with new wood floors etc. No scratches.

kris
12-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, from what I have found, the Ruffwear booties look to be the best quality. I guess I might just have to buy a pair from REI. If they suck for the snow, I could always return them.

Felicia
12-22-2007, 09:08 PM
When I was a kid and lived in the snow, we always trimmed our dogs feet to keep the ice/snow build up down.

The booties were a bit expensive, but are worth it. The nice thing about REI is that you can take the booties back. We had some difficulty with the size.

Let us know what you get. :popcorn: