PDA

View Full Version : Someplace other than here?

kris
12-19-2007, 03:23 PM
So, I have been looking through my pictures of Zion, The Maze, Sedona, and have been getting the itch to head out somewhere. Does anyone have a idea for a backpacking/camping trip, that could use up 4-5 days, between Christmas and New Years?

I would have the wife and kid, so any extremes like 4' of snow, and sub zero temps are out of the question. The family is good for some moderate hiking, and the daughter can out hike mom, or so she says.

I was thinking Death Valley, Joshua Tree, someplace that has a warmer high temp than we have here.

Maybe some off road adventures, a little bit of hiking, fresh air.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Scott Card
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
A little group called "Freeze fest" is happening at the Sandthrax campground (I use the term "campground" loosly) that week. It is cold at night and may not be suited to your family. Also, there are miscreants who come out of the e-kingdom who are known to frequent this event like Hank Moon, Dan (CarpeyBiggs), Ram, Tom Jones, and others who post here. I will likely be there on Friday night (28th) to feed some of these depraved and hungry wanderers. I don't know how "family" friendly this group is but I know there have been teenagers there before. I also don't know what you consider "family friendly". An option. ping me sideband if interested.

Jaxx
12-20-2007, 07:22 AM
I have been wanting to head to the Vegas area and check out Redrock. It is a little warmer down there. right now (8 am) it is 42 degrees. not too bad.

I have been wanting to go down there and never made it this year. Here is the site I have used. You have to buy the beta so I just look up what they have listed in google to find the details, I'm cheap.
http://www.hikinglasvegas.com/redrock.html

kris
12-20-2007, 07:44 PM
A little group called "Freeze fest" is happening at the Sandthrax campground (I use the term "campground" loosly) that week. It is cold at night and may not be suited to your family. Also, there are miscreants who come out of the e-kingdom who are known to frequent this event like Hank Moon, Dan (CarpeyBiggs), Ram, Tom Jones, and others who post here. I will likely be there on Friday night (28th) to feed some of these depraved and hungry wanderers. I don't know how "family" friendly this group is but I know there have been teenagers there before. I also don't know what you consider "family friendly". An option. ping me sideband if interested.

Thanks for the offer. The nights might still be a little too cold for the wife and daughter. They only have three season bags. Looks like fun though.

kris
12-20-2007, 07:45 PM
I have been wanting to head to the Vegas area and check out Redrock. It is a little warmer down there. right now (8 am) it is 42 degrees. not too bad.

I have been wanting to go down there and never made it this year. Here is the site I have used. You have to buy the beta so I just look up what they have listed in google to find the details, I'm cheap.
http://www.hikinglasvegas.com/redrock.html

Thanks for that lead. I might add it to the trip...

tanya
12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
It's hard to beat Zion but...

I just drove through the park and it's starting to snow.....

But there are still places you can explore in Zion that are good the day after a snow like Many Pools, Separation Canyon and several others on the east side of the park. A few in the canyon will still be good too.

Some east side hikes.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-national-park-hiking.htm

kris
12-21-2007, 08:24 AM
It's hard to beat Zion but...

I just drove through the park and it's starting to snow.....

But there are still places you can explore in Zion that are good the day after a snow like Many Pools, Separation Canyon and several others on the east side of the park. A few in the canyon will still be good too.

Some east side hikes.
http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-national-park-hiking.htm

Yeah, I just did five days in November while the temps were still mild. Another trip there would require sleeping in a hotel, as the temps are a little chilly for the family to sleep in. Thanks for the link though.