PDA

View Full Version : Burton lays down a $5,000 snowboard poaching challenge

accadacca
12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I thought this would have general appeal, so I posted here. There are only 3 ski resorts left in the country that don't allow snowboarders and two of them (Alta & Deer Valley) are in Utah. Burton is giving away 5K to the peeps that get the best footage of them boarding or "poaching" at a non-boarder resort.

Full article: http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/248302/

Challenge from Burton with photos and videos (you have to select your country): http://www.burton.com/poachers

Sombeech
12-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Nice. That'd be sweet if some of our fellow members get in on that action.

accadacca
12-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice. That'd be sweet if some of our fellow members get in on that action.
Yeah, wondering if we should get in on the action. What they gonna do, arrest us? :lol8: :popcorn:

stefan
12-16-2007, 09:30 AM
first off, snowboarders poach alta from snowbird, but usually limit themselves to near the boundary (but not always!).

taos just announced that it's opening it up to snowboarders (apparently the decision was made long before burton pulled this stunt, fwiw)

i guess at some point burton decided he needed to lump these ski areas in with bush and call them fascists! sweet!

i guess, i just don't understand what the big deal is about? it's not as if there are genetic differences between these people that are being discriminated against. i mean, what's next? allowing players to use tennis (or badminton) racquets on a a racquetball or squash court? >joke<

i dunno, i think it's a lost cause with deer valley. alta has been faced with pressure for ages. they lost a 1/3 of their business in the 90s when they didn't follow suit and allow snowboarders. whatever decision they are ultimately going to make (rumormill has gone on about snowboarders at alta for years) is not going to be influenced in the slightest bit by burton, i am guessing. but hey, he enjoys the fanfare and uniting the snowboard nation. good on him ... fight the man! heh.

if they ever were to allow snowboarders at alta (you know, hypothetically speaking, of course :haha:) ... only bipedals (splitboards) should be allowed on the non-gravity traverses and sidesteps! (unfortunately, many skiers fall into the poor form category of being lazy and traversing through lines). if that makes me fascist ... so be it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

COUNTRYBOY
12-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Dude, my brother-in-law works at Deer Valley. I think he might split the the dough to help me out there. :five:
What is the worst that can happen? Get kicked off a mountain that you can't board on any way? Get a ticket for trespassing? If I was a better boarder, I would try. :haha:

TreeHugger
12-16-2007, 09:05 PM
I think Burton needs to get over it. Oh wow, there're THREE WHOLE resorts in the entire freakin' country that dont allow snowboards, big deal. I dont think Alta really has lost that much business from not allowing snowboards and in fact, I think they gain some because of it.

asdf
12-17-2007, 07:19 AM
I grew up skiing and started boarding a few years back. I still own both but board about 80% of the time. I plan on teaching my kids to ski long before I put them on a board (if they even want too).
I saw this story on Fox13 news over the weekend, They interviewed a lot of uninformed skiers and boarders for there little news story. The boarders they interviewed said "skiers ruin the snow" and the skiers said "boarders always get in your way".
So silly... why cant we get along? I see people on boards doing that same stupid shit as people on skis... cutting people off... standing the middle of runs... flipping attitude.... getting in the way ect.

The fact of the matter is that Alta has some sick terrain, i would love to rip it up on my board someday...... and cut you off :haha:

ericchile
12-17-2007, 07:25 AM
FYI its not illegal to ride a board on Alta terrian because its National Forrest Service land. It is however illegal to get on a lift with a board.

ExpUt
12-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Lame... a feable publicity stunt by Burton at best. Considering the 100's of resorts open to snowboarding in the US, they need to let it rest. I've been a mixed skier/boarder and I could careless who lets who in... I'll go to the one that welcomes me regardless.

I'm waiting for Yamaha and Honda to invite dirtbikers to infiltrate suburbia skate parks and BMX tracks. And for SUWA to be required to allow me to come to their BOD Holiday party with the felons club.