PDA

View Full Version : Where did/do you attend college?

Iceaxe
12-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Just curious.... Where did/do you attend college? And what degree did/will you receive?

I'll go first...

UTAH

Civil/Structural Engineering

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/99/Utah_4669.gif/220px-Utah_4669.gif

brookiekiller
12-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Southern Utah University - Home of the mighty Tbirds. Business Administration was what I finally got a degree in. Took longer than expected because of all the distractions - Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, etc.

:rockon:

live2ride
12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Weber State University.....CJ / Business/Sales

CarpeyBiggs
12-12-2007, 04:37 PM
BYU, the state's only "true" school... With a degree in (drum roll please....)

Journalism.

http://www.danransom.com/trueblue/images/_MG_6144.jpg

I know, I know, I went oh-fer-two.

Scott Card
12-12-2007, 04:55 PM
BYU - Philosophy. :roflol: No really, Philosophy.

Glockguy
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
University of Utah

BA in Psychology

I hope to graduate in the spring. I am putting the finishing touches on a paper about the reliability and validity of polygraphs test right now.

Scott Card
12-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I am putting the finishing touches on a paper about the reliability and validity of polygraphs test right now. I'd be interested to hear your findings.

Felicia
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I

Brian in SLC
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Montana State University

Chemical Engineering

-Brian in SLC

Cirrus2000
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
The School o' Hard Knocks. Yup, that's it. Uneducated and unenlightened.

rockgremlin
12-12-2007, 05:28 PM
University of Utah

BS in Mining Engineering

Sombeech
12-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Weber State. I have absolutely no school pride at all. I hated college and the whole operation of ripping students off.

But I got a BS degree in Technical Sales.

Bad Karma
12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Man I

chickenlicken
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Come on, no one else went to Utah State? Graduated in Business-Production Management. Go Aggies!!

Brewhaha
12-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm a proud alum of BYU (BS in Mathematics and MS in Mathematics) and USU (Ed.D in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis on Collegiate Mathemataics Education).

ericchile
12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
BYU graduated with BS of Computer Science.. and I loved it, learned a ton, and love my line of work.

REDFOX
12-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Graduated from Dixie College, Attended U of U and I am currently in my second year of the apprenticeship plumbing program at the DATC.

DaveOU812
12-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Well I got accepted to SLCC but haven't enrolled in any classes yet. :ne_nau: Maybe Engineering, Nursing, or Psychology. Who knows what I want to do? Not me. Thats for sure.

rockgremlin
12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm a proud alum of BYU (BS in Mathematics and MS in Mathematics) and USU (Ed.D in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis on Collegiate Mathemataics Education).

:hail2thechief:

Kent K25
12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Math Ed. eh?

BYU - BS in Mechanical Engineering April '08 with a minor in Mathematics.

But I actually want to teach High School Math and coach basketball. Perfect utilization of an Engineering degree, I know.

ExpUt
12-12-2007, 10:15 PM
U of U, Graduated Spring 06' with a BS in Mech. Engineering... still trying to decide what to do with it ;)

LJ
12-12-2007, 10:27 PM
ILL - INI! University of Illinois and yes I will be at the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.

BS - Accountancy.

savanna3313
12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
The home of the next BCS championship team..............LSU! :2thumbs:
Majored in Business time...... :haha:

savanna3313
12-13-2007, 12:18 AM
ILL - INI! University of Illinois and yes I will be at the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.

BS - Accountancy.

That's my brother-in-law's alma mater. :2thumbs:

shaggy125
12-13-2007, 03:04 AM
Weber State, after finals today only 15 more credits (mostly bachelors projects) for my BS in Respiratory Therapy. The end is finally in sight! :five:

Eric.

jumar
12-13-2007, 05:18 AM
UVSC in '06, Computer Sciecne :2thumbs:

packfish
12-13-2007, 06:45 AM
USU- Education. Back when we had a wrestling team and a real football team.

shagster
12-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Weber State- General education degree

University of Phoenix- Bachelors in Security and Orignizational managment.

I have so many other certificates and classes that it is not funny, I just need to finish one and then be done..

tanya
12-13-2007, 07:09 AM
I was a good girl and went to SUU to get my BS in Biology.

Then I was pulled to the dark side and got my MS from UNLV in Exercise Physiology.

Go REBELS!

http://www.sportspublishingllc.com/titles/full/1596701552.jpg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/8/8e/UNLV_Rebels.png

tanya
12-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Southern Utah University - Home of the mighty Tbirds. Business Administration was what I finally got a degree in. Took longer than expected because of all the distractions - Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks, etc.

:rockon:

Me too! I loved it there! :five:

tanya
12-13-2007, 07:45 AM
University of Utah

BA in Psychology

I hope to graduate in the spring. I am putting the finishing touches on a paper about the reliability and validity of polygraphs test right now.

This together with your profile photo... SCARES ME! :eek2:

tanya
12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Montana State University

Chemical Engineering

-Brian in SLC

Such knowledge in the hands of Brian from SLC :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Alex
12-13-2007, 07:51 AM
UofU - BS in Psychology 2002
U of Phoenix - Master of Science in Computer Information Systems

At the U I was part of the study which studied the effect of cell phones usage while driving. http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCognitionLab/DrivingAssessment2003.pdf which got a lot of attention by the media.

tanya
12-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Weber State, after finals today only 15 more credits (mostly bachelors projects) for my BS in Respiratory Therapy. The end is finally in sight! :five:

Eric.

At least there is something to look forward to for when I get old and need respiratory therapy. :naughty:

wojo342
12-13-2007, 08:04 AM
CEU Go Eagles!!! (Price UTAH) Associates
SUU Go T-Birds!!! (Cedar City UTAH) Degree in Criminal Justice

Bo_Beck
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
EWSC Spokane Washington and Ft. Lewis College Durango Colorado....
Never finished so decided to go have more fun. :clap:

R
12-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Oklahoma, School of Journalism, until they asked me not to come back. Finished at University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond. My wife went to East Central University here in Ada, Oklahoma.

Randi
12-13-2007, 08:57 AM
OCC ~ Orange Coast College

Graduated (almost) with a measly AA degree in Electro/Mechanical Design, but was originally going to school for art and music. I wanted to be a starving artist at first, but thought better of it once I had kids.

I fell into a lucrative design job & quit school, and I'm still working for the same company (25 years later).

Damn, I should be retired by now!

It would be interesting to see how many of you folks are actually working in the field you went to school for.

~Randi

shaggy125
12-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Tanya, unless you smoke or get in an unforunate accident and need to be put on life support, I doubt you will ever need my services :2thumbs: . All this brings up another question, on the one uutah trip I went on to Lomatium (spelling?) and Tierdrop there were a bunch of guys who had degrees in one thing, but work doing something totally different. How many actually use their degree? After changing my major twenty times a big factor in my decision of what I do was the schedule. I now work 6 12's in a row, have 4 days off, then work 3 more and have 8 days off. I'm sure I'll be sticking with this for quite a while :five: . Just wondering what others have done?

Eric.

Scott Card
12-13-2007, 09:06 AM
It would be interesting to see how many of you folks are actually working in the field you went to school for.

~Randi
Since the Philosophy Store was not successful, I went to law school. :haha:

Alex
12-13-2007, 09:22 AM
shaggy, statistically there is only 40% of people work in their Bachelor field. I did the same thing as you did, changed my major about 5 times and after 10 years of schooling finally decided on the fastest degree possible to graduate, which ended up being my favorite subject (Psychology). My Masters was a lot closer to what I do now.

jumar
12-13-2007, 09:24 AM

~Randi
My specialty with my CS degree was networking. My weak area was databases. So now I do data warehouse consulting. Not a huge diversion, but still doing something I studied very little.

marc olivares
12-13-2007, 09:36 AM
1998 U of U grad here...

BFA with an emphasis in intermedia sculpture :ne_nau:

rockgremlin
12-13-2007, 09:40 AM
My degree is Mining Engineering, and I work at a copper mine.

I'll be a miner for life. No way I could switch gears now, I've invested too much time and work to get to where I am now. Besides, the perks are great! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
12-13-2007, 09:41 AM

I knew from the time I was in 7th grade that I would eventually be a structural engineer and always gear my schooling in that direction. I spent my 7th grade summer working in an engineering office and learned that designing big stuff looked like a lot of fun (and it is).

The day I turned 16 I signed a contract and became a professional motorcycle racer.... never went to high school much after turning 16, but I did graduate through a program the local school district had set up just for youngin's who were professional athletes. In my high school we had three professioanal atletes... myself, a free style skier and a rodeo guy.

Because of my racing it took me 8 years to get through college as I could only attend during the off season. But I kept at it as I knew what I wanted to do when I retired from racing.....

I love my job.... :banana:

:popcorn:

Cirrus2000
12-13-2007, 10:05 AM
OK, further to the School of Hard Knocks: I spent a couple of semesters at a couple of local community colleges around Vancouver (high school with ashtrays), then went to work for my dad. I was a sales rep, dealing in cough & cold, food & drug, retail & wholesale. Hated it - too much stress. Quit & went to work in a granite processing plant. Enjoyed the work - cutting granite blocks into slabs, polishing and dimensioning them. Good wholesome physical labour. (Low wages.) Then I had a nasty accident - my left knee will never be the same, after 1800 lb of granite fell on it. I went back to the same place after rehab, but looked at other possibilities.

A friend was an air traffic controller - I went to visit him at work, and decided "If Tony can do this, I can do this." So I applied, took the aptitude test, did the interview, got the security clearance and the medical.

Then the schooling began. Transport Canada Training Institute, Cornwall, Ontario. They say that the 6 month course was about equivalent to 3 years of college. It was intense. Very intense. (I loved it!) Our class did well, though - 75% made it through. Many classes were around the 50% -or less - mark.

After that, it was on the job training. You weren't in the clear until completing that and getting your license signed. Those who didn't were on the street, with a useless piece of paper saying they'd completed a course in VFR and IFR air traffic control. Worthless for anything else.

So, I'm in the field I trained for (without college), and I honestly can't imagine doing anything else - I love my job.

Ironically, I keep thinking that I'd like to take some sort of schooling, just for fun. So many things I'm interested in. I'm a very intelligent guy - really, I am - but traditional school just bores me to tears. I should look into something, though. One of these days...

cmpbiker
12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I attended Dixie Jr, SUSC (SUU now), SLCC and U of U after being thrown out of so many schools I walked into the Army Education office with a wad of transcripts in my hand and asked "what can I get with this"? A few short GRE exams later I became a proud Alumni of the State University of New York Albany through their Regents program with a BS in Sociology. It worked out extremely well because I was working for Xerox full time and they had a relationship with SUNY so they paid all of my testing expenses and flew me to Albany to graduate.

rockgremlin
12-13-2007, 10:20 AM
I attended Dixie Jr, SUSC (SUU now), SLCC and U of U after being thrown out of so many schools I walked into the Army Education office with a wad of transcripts in my hand and asked "what can I get with this"? A few short GRE exams later I became a proud Alumni of the State University of New York Albany through their Regents program with a BS in Sociology. It worked out extremely well because I was working for Xerox full time and they had a relationship with SUNY so they paid all of my testing expenses and flew me to Albany to graduate.

:lol8:

savanna3313
12-13-2007, 10:32 AM
OK, further to the School of Hard Knocks: .

The School of Hard Knocks was my "graduate" school. :haha: I gained more USEFUL knowledge in the real world working and owning a business than I ever learned in school. :2thumbs:

live2ride
12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I am using the Business / Sales part of my degree, I was originally majoring in CJ and had a very good chance to get into the F.B.I (Very close family friend works in Washington and has a major influence) untill he talked me out of it. Best decision I ever made. Now I have been lucky enough to fall into a position with my job that put my at the level of people with 25-30 years of experience and I only have 3.

accadacca
12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
U of U - BS Mass Communication, emphasis in Telecommunication and Electronic Marketing. Go figure! :lol8:

I have worked in the field since I graduated. I have worked in radio, TV and web. I decided to stick with web because I really enjoy it. Currently I manage a 10 member web team. Running content, development, design, etc on 35-40 websites in 10 languages. And of course I play on uutah.com every chance I get. :popcorn:

shlingdawg
12-14-2007, 09:50 AM
U of U - BS in Behavioral Science and Health

Weber State U - AS in General Studies

I do not work in behavioral science, nor have I or ever plan to.

Go UTES!!!!

TreeHugger
12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
This has been an interesting subject to read! Practically all Utahns here!!

I graduated from Eastern Michigan University.
BS Special Ed
MA Guidance and Counseling

I have been teaching secondary special ed for 19 years. I use my counseling in unofficial capacity within the school and working with kids.

I started out as a Commercial Art major.

erial
12-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Glassboro State College now Rowan University

English

basilone0331
12-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Then I was pulled to the dark side and got my MS from UNLV in Exercise Physiology.
That's funny, I am going to the U now with Biology as my major but I am thinking about Exercise Physiology. My ultimate plan is to get into the U's Pharmacy school but, who knows. :ne_nau:

trackrunner
12-14-2007, 07:17 PM
SUU FTW :rockit:
Graduated today double major Economics/Finance :banana:
Has not sank in yet. Now I need a job :ahhh:

accadacca
12-15-2007, 09:41 PM
SUU FTW :rockit:
Graduated today double major Economics/Finance :banana:
Has not sank in yet. Now I need a job :ahhh:
Congrats. :five: Now get a job. :lol8:

offpiste
12-18-2007, 10:30 PM
CEU
SUU BS 6 year plan skied winters for brianhead and Mt holly
USU MEd
SUU MEd admin

greyhair biker
12-19-2007, 12:39 AM
trained for three years in the electronics field to take over working with my Dad at Tooele Army Depot, then had a 'falling out' with him (very stupid mistake) and changed majors to business management at SLCC-yes, Salt Lake Community College - got hired almost immediately as a retail store layout designer(had been doing it for years) for Bennett Paint & Glass -21st S. and 300W...at the paint factory, no, it doesnt exist anymore. Thats how I got into interior design and commercial applications for paint. Had countless certificates from lots of manufacturers & drifted more into management and interior design. Got offered to come up to RockSprings and manage a paint & glass store...thats how I got to Wyoming....then after 12 years I had to change again (to pay med bills) and went to work for the mines....more schooling and training (mineforeman papers) and 14 years later here I am. In the meantime I have run businesses in my 'spare time' all my life...hence the current business, my bikeshop :nod: Id LOVE to go back and finish my business degree... crap...went on a bit didnt I :lol8:

tanya
12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
CEU Go Eagles!!! (Price UTAH) Associates
SUU Go T-Birds!!! (Cedar City UTAH) Degree in Criminal Justice

:five:

tanya
12-19-2007, 07:30 PM

That's funny, I am going to the U now with Biology as my major but I am thinking about Exercise Physiology. My ultimate plan is to get into the U's Pharmacy school but, who knows. :ne_nau:

It was hard! They seem related but they are not. That first year working on my MS was so hard!

I always feel sorry for Pharmacists. They worked so hard in school and it seems hard keeping up with filling all those drugs for people.

Shan
12-21-2007, 09:09 AM
http://www.cudaapparel.com/images/category/iu-logo-tn.jpg
Indiana University
I have a BS in Environmental Management and Public Management (1999) from the SPEA department. Loving dubbed "Smoke Pot, Eat Acid" or "School of Parting and Easy As." But really it's School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

http://arsutah.com/img/usu_logo.gif
Now I am currently attending Utah State University for an MS in their Water Engineering Program. Done fall 2010.

fire
12-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Sonoma State University - CA

BA - Anthropology/Archaeology

tanya
12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Sonoma State University - CA

BA - Anthropology/Archaeology

That's what I should have done. Of all the classes I took those were the most interesting. :five:

James_B_Wads2000
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
I

Rev. Coyote
01-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Emory & Henry College. Yep. Rah rah!

snatch
01-16-2008, 01:52 AM
BYU_I
UNLV
UVSC - Accounting
U of U - Economics

DickHead
01-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Paris Island. Its only a three month school. No degree, but I did earn the privelage to wear an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

http://www.popasmoke.com/patches-300/ega-a.jpg