PDA

View Full Version : shopping for a 1911

Gutpiler_Utahn
12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Okay, so my old man has a birthday coming up. For YEARS he's talked about how he'd like to get his mitts on a 1911 style pistol but never was able to justify the cost. With the new career and increased income, I'm thinking a 1911 is a perfect birthday gift. I've never owned one, so let's hear your personal experiences.

What do you like from which companies? Please keep this related to shooters under $750. Also, what was the customer service/warranty like if you had to use it?

Thanks people. :2thumbs:

scoutabout
12-12-2007, 09:26 AM
In that price range, look at Kimber. I had a special edition Clark model (produced for display by the company). It was a $2000 1911, but nothing I've ever shot has even compared to the quality.

Glockguy
12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
The bottom line is he needs to go to a store and handle a few different models and see what feels good in his hands. None of the main manufacturers are making bad guns: they can't today due to the ease of communication (ie internet) or else word would get out too fast about garbage.

Also I would not recommend a 1911 style for self defense. They are beautiful guns and for me are great to have to look at and shoot for fun. They are not reliable enough for me to trust my life with though. The semi-auto-s are the way to go for reliability.

At a recent 4 day course I attended 4/5 of the 1911's in the course had issues with reliability. One even shot the slide right off of the frame!

On that note go to http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77 for a good forum on 1911's. Good luck in your search!

jumar
12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
At a recent 4 day course I attended 4/5 of the 1911's in the course had issues with reliability. One even shot the slide right off of the frame!
What course did you do?

Glockguy
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
4 Day Defensive Handgun-Front Sight

It was awesome. I really want to go take the rifle course now.

jumar
12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I was wondering if that was the one. I have one of their certificates and I'm trying to decide if I want to do the rifle or the 4 day hand gun. I did the 2 day already. They have a skill builder that does the 4 day in only 2 days. I think I might do that. :2thumbs:

(off topic, did you get a chance to hit owl cave before the snow flew?)

Glockguy
12-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Brother is back from the mish, but has a jacked ankle so we hope to hit it up in the spring. Thanks for the info on it though.

REDFOX
12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I thought that 1911's were semiautomatics ?

Gutpiler_Utahn
12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
They are, but I think Glock is speaking of the hammerless, glock style pistols... which I don't like, for the record. My old man instilled in me a strong desire to know where my hammer position is at all times. :2thumbs:

tapehoser
12-13-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd bet my biscuits on a Springfield 1911.

Brian in SLC
12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Okay, so my old man has a birthday coming up. For YEARS he's talked about how he'd like to get his mitts on a 1911 style pistol but never was able to justify the cost. With the new career and increased income, I'm thinking a 1911 is a perfect birthday gift. I've never owned one, so let's hear your personal experiences.

What do you like from which companies? Please keep this related to shooters under $750. Also, what was the customer service/warranty like if you had to use it?

Hard to go wrong with a Kimber. Out of the box, for that price, they have to be the finest out there.

Colt is nice, but, moren' likely you'll be buying a used one at this point (?). I'd look for a used but well tuned up one.

You might take him to Sportsmans Warehouse or Gallensons and let him pick one out. For spending that kind of money on anyone, I'd want to make sure and get them something they really want. And, if he wants a pricier one instead, then you could split the difference with him.

However, I do hear that the Berettas at Doug's are just flyin' out the door... Ha ha.

Good luck,

-Brian in SLC

opskmallory
12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
For that money, I'd go with a Springfield. $750 will get you the bare bones Kimber. You'll get a slightly nicer Springfield 1911. I'd put my life on a Springfield any day of the week.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397872212.html

Just one of many viable options for you. :) Good luck.

MY T PIMP
12-21-2007, 01:04 PM
For that money, I'd go with a Springfield. $750 will get you the bare bones Kimber. You'll get a slightly nicer Springfield 1911. I'd put my life on a Springfield any day of the week.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397872212.html

Just one of many viable options for you. :) Good luck.
I totally agree you can get a springfield WWII replica used in great condition for as low as $350 I have a friend who owns a kimber and a springfield. He thinks his Springfield shoots everybit as good.

Sombeech
12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
MY T PIMP! Where you been you sombeech?

PS, I just want everybody to know that PIMP bought me an AC/DC wallet for Christmas. :cool2:

accadacca
12-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah Don WTF man. You left us like a turd in the wilderness. :nono:

csc0321
05-01-2008, 07:38 AM
I shot a Springfield while in the military. Its a fantastic weapon. We experienced the occasional problems, but that was due to the fact that the weapons had more rounds put threw them then most civillians would be able to afford. I would also like to say that these are VERY reliable weapons. I had the utmost confidance in my .45, much moreso then my m4.

I also own a kimber custom TLE. Great weapon, but i bought it for the same reason people buy ferrari's.