PDA

View Full Version : Another jackass cop with a taser

Sombeech
12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGe8fJ597w

This A$$hole cop pulls him over for going 70 in a 65. Yep, do the math.

Then orders him out of the vehicle within @20 seconds of approaching.

HITS the driver with his own door.

He then tases the dude because he thought he was a threat. Why order the guy out of the car if you think he's a threat?

read more about this incident here:
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/09/30/0930video.html

Udink
12-11-2007, 06:46 AM
And the internal affairs department ruled that he was justified in his use of the taser. :roll: It just goes to show that any officer can tase anybody for any reason and get away with it. All they gotta do is say that they "perceived a threat." :bs:

ExpUt
12-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Its all about perception...

While it was far from a textbook traffic stop... I wouldn't call it a bad use of the taser. There are no permanent injuries, and the officer finally got compliance out of the driver. Seems there was alot of shuffling going on inside the car, I would have been sketched out too. Again, not a shining example for either party... but I wouldn't call it criminal.

ericchile
12-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Its all about perception...

While it was far from a textbook traffic stop... I wouldn't call it a bad use of the taser. There are no permanent injuries, and the officer finally got compliance out of the driver. Seems there was alot of shuffling going on inside the car, I would have been sketched out too. Again, not a shining example for either party... but I wouldn't call it criminal.

Bull shit that sounds like the cop excusing what he did.

That cop yelled and belittled the person from the begining. And for what driving 5 mph over? Oh and he got tazed because he didn't give him his drivers liencse quick enough? 20 seconds? This is a joke. Using way excessive force is criminal.

These internal reviews are clearing every cop (duh) and then they are sueing for millions that cost you and me. Either cops need to learn how to control themselves and comunicate effectively or find another job.

I have two brothers in law enforcement and the bad rep that these cops put out for the rest really sucks.

R
12-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm going to take a chance here and suggest that racism may have played a role in the officer's actions. He brought a HUGE amount of attitude to the situation. Maybe the stop was based on a racial profile - normally cops have so much more worthy of their time than stopping traffic for 5 over.

Jaxx
12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I am going to agree that the cop seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and was rude from the beginning. But, you don't talk back to a cop and when he tells you to get out and put your hands on the back of the car don't turn and face him. It's pretty simple. Do what he says and don't get tasered. End of story.

ericchile
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I am going to agree that the cop seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and was rude from the beginning. But, you don't talk back to a cop and when he tells you to get out and put your hands on the back of the car don't turn and face him. It's pretty simple. Do what he says and don't get tasered. End of story.

So you think its ok to treat people like trash if your a cop huh....

Even if the guy never got tazered I would still think this cop has something up his A&& and needs to be let go.

ExpUt
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Bingo!

The video doesn't show alot of things... it doesn't show the drivers hands while still in the car (obviously NOT reaching for his license and registration).

Why didn't the car have a rear plate, the speeding was just ONE of the violations this guy was pulled over for. Regardless, if it takes you 30 seconds to pull your drivers license out, you shouldn't be allowed to drive an automobile IMO.

Don't play the race game... I'm so sick of the word racism. Affirmitive action and the NAACP are racism... everything else is just random hate. A white cop tazes a non-compliant white kid and its "uncalled" for (Massey), a white cop tazes a non-compliant black man and it gets dubbed racism. Thats the bull-shit... not too mention the driver running his mouth after he was on the ground. He was looking to be non-compliant and confrontational from the get go.

I'm not saying the cop was 100% in the clear, he obviously needs a head check about his attitude and demeanor. BUT, even if the cop does have a bad attitude or seems to be yelling, it by no means excuses you from following the law. Complying with the orders of an officer is the law.

Jaxx
12-11-2007, 01:37 PM

Even if the guy never got tazered I would still think this cop has something up his A&& and needs to be let go.

No I don't. the cop was rude. but when a cop comes to your door and you give him lip about giving him your dl and insurance because he is yelling and then you get out of your car and face the cop you are going to get tasered. The cop tells him to put his hands on the back of the car. The guy turns and faces the cop which is a complete no-no. I thought listening to a cop was common sense.

I guess you think you should only do what a cop says if he is being polite and talking in an indoor voice? Should he give you a back rub while he is writing you a ticket so you feel as comfortable as possible?

Brewhaha
12-11-2007, 01:54 PM
This incident looked like it completely escalated because of the cop.

ericchile
12-11-2007, 04:16 PM

No I don't. the cop was rude. but when a cop comes to your door and you give him lip about giving him your dl and insurance because he is yelling and then you get out of your car and face the cop you are going to get tasered. The cop tells him to put his hands on the back of the car. The guy turns and faces the cop which is a complete no-no. I thought listening to a cop was common sense.

I guess you think you should only do what a cop says if he is being polite and talking in an indoor voice? Should he give you a back rub while he is writing you a ticket so you feel as comfortable as possible?

Look at it this way... If you replace the cop with a different cop would it still have happened? Prob not...
If you replace the person pulled over with a different one would it still have happened? Prob so....

Read the article above. It states the cop has had 3 violations of abuse and is the 2nd highest in the area for reported use of force.

DaveOU812
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Ok, lets do a little compare and contrast here. A Marine in Iraq is on post at the gate of the compound. He has what is called a firing line. If a car comes across that line, he lights the car up. This is common knowledge among the Iraqi people. The Marine shoots the person driving the car, killing them.

Part 2: A cop is out patroling his area and clocks a car speeding. (5 over or not, speeding is speeding is it not?) He stops the car and the individual is fumbling around in his car and faces the police officer when told to turn around. Following directions from a police officer is common knowledge is it not? Needless to say the officer tazers the person which causes pain but no permanent damage.

Does the Marine get investigated? Absolutly not. In fact he has caused more damage than the police officer. Both are doing their job and percieved a threat but the police officer could lose his job for it. The Marine is praised and called a war hero. Whats the diffrence?

Brewhaha
12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
You can't really compare the actions taken in a war zone to the actions taken on a typical US Highway.

All cops are trained in diffusing situations. That should be their first approach when they are questioned. Rather than escalating the situation through confrontation and some power trip the cop has a duty to first calm the situation without force. Both this incident and the Vernal incident are perfect examples of situations that could have been avoided and solved verbally.

Sombeech
12-11-2007, 09:35 PM
...but did the cop really feel threatened? After all, that's his reason for using the taser, is feeling threatened.

How many of you invite a threatening, out of control person to come into your comfort zone? Why would he not call for backup first before making him get out of his car?

The last thing you would do is ask a threatening person to come closer to you. He had his hand on his taser as he opened the car door.

live2ride
12-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Maybee all the fumbling around in the car was the guy trying to pull his registration out of the glovebox, the cop obviously wasn't threatened becuase he would have commanded him to show him his hands etc, he also had to get his belt off as the officer watched him through the window of the car. This is abuse of power on the officers part, it has always baffeled me that so many professions require a Batchelors degree for entrance and yet you can give someone the permission to carry a weapon and make some of the hardest decisions out of any proffesion and they don't require a higher degree of learning. They should make it mandatory for all law enforcement to have a degree of some sort or better yet in Criminal Justice. ( I double majored in CJ and in Business/sales) I know this may lead to the discussion of wages but I don't care, if someone is making critical decisions regarding the use of deadly force it could only benefit society to raise the bar a little bit.

A great example of this is with one of my friends who recently was hired on by South Ogden PD, he has struggled with 10 jobs over the past 5 years and decided to give it a shot to become a police officer, no problem went to the academy and called it good, now he is patrolling the streets. SCARY!

orvis1
12-12-2007, 10:41 AM
This guy probably got his arse kicked daily on the playground and has little man sydrome! The person had a MINOR violation and the way he handled the situation he could use some people skills training if he is going to be dealing with the public. I would sue the department and based on that video probably win. Good thing they put camera's in officers cars now, makes you wonder what they got away with before.

R
12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Okay, another scenario: suppose O'Connor (the cop) had a daughter, and a cop in another city tazed her in a similar situation. Do you think he'd be okay with it?