PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn

hank moon
12-10-2007, 11:20 AM
I have a theory on this. Satan works hard every day to deceive us. Infiltrating our food supply with foods swimming in calories, fat, sodium, and sugar is a subtle yet powerful way to get us down. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains did taste superior to any other food at one time

Iceaxe
12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Yup... Satan is a fat guy, just as Hank predicted...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/HellboundAlleee/satan.jpg

R
12-10-2007, 11:57 AM
The biology of obesity in an affluent, technology-based society is somewhat simpler than the myth of a pitchfork wielding demon: human bodies are designed to store calories in the form of fat in preparation for times of drought and famine, and to that end are naturally attracted to foods with the most of what the body needs to store to survive. If you take that kind of evolutionary adaptation and short circuit it by removing most of the exercise and all of the famine, and add to it an unlimited supply of fats and sugars, you get a population that ends up lazy, decadent, obese, and most importantly, unhealthy. The industrial and technological revolutions are rife with potential, but only to those who understand how to discipline themselves.

The devil didn't make you do it. :twisted:

stefan
12-10-2007, 12:26 PM
another angle beyond fat, sugar and what not is that there is an intense science(food engineering + psychophysics) behind the natural and artificial flavors which in many products can be largely responsible for the "taste" that a person experiences. since many "healthy" foods don't have these, you got that werking against ya.

then again, if you don't eat food with these additives, there's nothing to compare

Sombeech
12-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Depends how you define healthy.

I've been on the Atkins Diet since May, and I love everything on there. Except I cheat with a little chocolate here and there, especially this season. It's thrown in your face everyday.

tanya
12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Then Satan is the commerical world.... they make the junk that taste good, which is also so bad for us, just to make money. Now there are actually some regulations on the worst of it - Hydrogenated Fat....

Good? Bad?

I think it's good, but many don't share that view.

http://www.bantransfats.com/

http://www.bantransfats.com/images/Oreo%20trial%20cartoon.jpg

sparker1
12-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey, are you saying that donuts aren't healthy? :nono:

greyhair biker
12-10-2007, 07:10 PM
It takes 20 minutes of hard working out to burn off one can of regular Coke....or a donut....imagine that, ya gotta work this stuff off. :ne_nau: Eat healthy at least SOME of the time and get some kind of cardio regularly (4-5 days a week) and you might just make it. :lol8: :popcorn:

Bo_Beck
12-11-2007, 07:20 AM
If you take that kind of evolutionary adaptation and short circuit it by removing most of the exercise and all of the famine, and add to it an unlimited supply of fats and sugars, you get a population that ends up lazy, decadent, obese, and most importantly, unhealthy. The industrial and technological revolutions are rife with potential, but only to those who understand how to discipline themselves.

The devil didn't make you do it. :twisted:[/quote]

Yeah..the industrial and technological revolutions are rife with potential! Virtual hiking, canyoneering, climbing. Phones that are eternally fixed to our trousers so that we don't have to get up to answer it. Our index fingers even once had to work to make a call, now just state the name and it's all done for us. We can even become Special Forces...and quite talented at that, and we don't even have to leave the couch. Can't get lost now with GPS's! They take you right where you are supposed to be! Even the minds are being indoctrinated to not have to work.

I think it is quite basic. Technology has turned the tide for recreation. What did you do after school when you were growing up? What do kids now do after school?

Bo_Beck
12-11-2007, 07:25 AM
If you take that kind of evolutionary adaptation and short circuit it by removing most of the exercise and all of the famine, and add to it an unlimited supply of fats and sugars, you get a population that ends up lazy, decadent, obese, and most importantly, unhealthy. The industrial and technological revolutions are rife with potential, but only to those who understand how to discipline themselves.

The devil didn't make you do it. :twisted:

Yeah..the industrial and technological revolutions are rife with potential! Virtual hiking, canyoneering, climbing. Phones that are eternally fixed to our trousers so that we don't have to get up to answer it. Our index fingers even once had to work to make a call, now just state the name and it's all done for us. We can even become Special Forces...and quite talented at that, and we don't even have to leave the couch. Can't get lost now with GPS's! They take you right where you are supposed to be! Even the minds are being indoctrinated to not have to work.

I think it is quite basic. Technology has turned the tide for recreation. What did you do after school when you were growing up? What do kids now do after school?[/quote]

Oh yeah! I remember going to PDQ for cokes, tootsie rolls, and it was a treat to go to McDonalds and VIPS Big Boy for the yummy burgers, fries and chocolate malts. Cotton Candy at the Fair. Fats, sugar and more sugar! But boy were the nights after school riding our Stingrays fun and the weekends hiking and camping in the mountains were like vacations every weekend.

R
12-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Actually I was thinking in terms of effective vaccinations for terrible diseases like polio and smallpox, transportation to places you couldn't visit before, incredible scientific discovery and education, democracy (women only had the right to vote after the industrial revolution), clean water supplies, and yes, things like GPS receivers so I can make it home to my wife after a long hike in the wild.

For the record, I have never been "virtual hiking." I can certainly appreciate your cynicism, and I ask that you appreciate my optimism.

Bo_Beck
12-12-2007, 06:30 AM
Actually I was thinking in terms of effective vaccinations for terrible diseases like polio and smallpox, transportation to places you couldn't visit before, incredible scientific discovery and education, democracy (women only had the right to vote after the industrial revolution), clean water supplies, and yes, things like GPS receivers so I can make it home to my wife after a long hike in the wild.

For the record, I have never been "virtual hiking." I can certainly appreciate your cynicism, and I ask that you appreciate my optimism.

I certainly do appreciate your optimism! I guess I really need to read a bit further before I comment.

My cynicism really stems from jealousy. Long story, short. Got off a plane in Italy, drove to Montebelluna, on up to Cortina. Hiked and rockclimbed the Dolomites, ate at numerous restaurants, walked the streets. Realized that most of the Italians did the same. During the 1 week I was there I saw VERY few obeise persons. They ate food that tasted good just as I had, and the food was just as caloric if not more than typical american resturants. Dinners consisted of 2-3 hours around the table not only eating delicious foods but partaking in Spirits.

When I got off the plane in Las Vegas, not conciously did I look, but what I saw was a population of at least 50% obeisity or near obeisity. I wondered why the difference? I still see it here in Southern Utah....I have surmised (my opinion, cynical or not) is that exercise has been neglected by the advent of "technology", and the warm fuzzy feeling when we are kept within our comfort zone.

So the choice as I see it: Stop eating good tasting food and be skinny and unhealthy, or eat what you like, but exercise to stay healthy. Or eat good tasting food, don't exercise and be unhealthy.