PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Country Ski Trails

Joan
12-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey cross-country skiing outdoor enthusiasts. I am an UUTAH.com newbie seeking cross-country ski trails in the SLC/Park City area. Please advise.

Thanks.

asdf
12-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Are you looking for groomed trails?

TreeHugger
12-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Where are you from? I"m from MI and I really have found the xcountry trails around here to be a lot less fun then back home, I think because back there we were always in the woods, and it was free. :-)

Here is what I have found around here (I'm assuming you are looking for classic skiing), and I would LOVE to find more if anyone else knows of any.

Solitude. Very nice trails, some wooded area, not too steep, 3 or 4 different loops to keep things interesting. $11ish last time I went.

The rail trail in Park City. Can get some mileage, some parts are groomed and some are quite pretty and pleasant. No trees to speak of. A lot of walkers to chew it up. Free.

White Pine touring. Better for skate skiing. Good mileage, but open and not real pleasant in a woodsy, get into nature kind of way. Expensive. $16 (I think)

Mill Creek Canyon. Get's a little boring as you are just going up up up on a road, but it is very pretty. Lots of traffic and watch for dogs. Free.

Sundance. Very nice, very pretty, lots of trails, groomed nicely. I think it's my favorite place, but it's a good drive. $11.

The Uintas. My sister has done a little skiing there, but I havent. I would love to know more about this area if anyone can advise. She said it was really really nice.

Mountain Dell golf course. Better for skating, it is a golf course after all, but good for a quick spin after work. $5

geodiva
12-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi Tree Hugger! I am originally from Michigan, too. Born in Grand Rapids and spent some time in downriver Detroit.

You?

I am new to Utah as well - but I have most recently come here from Portland, OR.

This is really great information on cross-country skiing!

brettyb
12-08-2007, 09:18 AM
It's a bit sad--I'd say groomed X/C skiing is way underdeveloped in Utah. Considering how many miles the state grooms for those damn snowmobiles, it's especially disappointing. Nonetheless, tree hugger points out some great spots.

I would add the Beaver Creek Trail in the Uintas. It parallels the road, starting just before the fee booth, with a couple other access points further up the road. The trail is about 7 miles long, and is groomed periodically by the forest service. Not sure how the snow coverage is yet, but after the current storm passes, perhaps the trail will be skiable. Here is a good site to check out:

http://www.utahnordic.com/

There is a ski conditions link where people post first hand reports.

Another good place to go, albeit a bit spendy, is Soldier Hollow.

TreeHugger
12-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi Tree Hugger! I am originally from Michigan, too. Born in Grand Rapids and spent some time in downriver Detroit.

You?

I am new to Utah as well - but I have most recently come here from Portland, OR.

This is really great information on cross-country skiing!

Hey there! I cant believe how many MIchigan transplants there are out here! I"m from Ann Arbor, all my life til I moved here 5 years ago. I would love to get us gals together for some cross country skiing! What'day say, Joan and Betty? Here's 4 of us right here!

Joan
12-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi Treehugger, Betty, Geodiva, and Summit42. Thanks for the cross-country ski trail info! I'm interested in high mileage, scenic cross-country trails. Groomed trails are great, but usually too short.

I'm from Wyoming, but come to SLC about twice a month. I know some great trails in Wyoming, if anyone is interested.

I think I've ran Mill Creek Canyon. Is it up Big Cottonwood Canyon at the Bend? It was steep and rocky, with beautiful lakes and great views at the top.

Sundance and Beaver Creek sound great. Where is the trailhead for Beaver Creek Trail in the Uintas?

Thanks again!

Bad Karma
12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
For Beaver Creek I

Brian in SLC
12-11-2007, 07:25 AM
I think I've ran Mill Creek Canyon. Is it up Big Cottonwood Canyon at the Bend? It was steep and rocky, with beautiful lakes and great views at the top.

Nah, Mill Creek is a separate canyon from BCC, although you can certainly access Mill Creek from Big Cottonwood Canyon. Sounds like the "bend" was the S-turn and you'd have hiked up to maybe Lake Blanche up Mill B South.

I seem to rcall x-country skate skiing at Smith Morehouse in the Uintas and they set a trail. Not sure if they still do that. Mirror Lake Highway still has a set track too, methinks, in the Uintas.

There are some longer x-country type outings to be had in the central Wasatch, although they maybe push the definition of "x-c skiing" and are maybe more along the "backcountry skiing" lines. There's old roads up some of the canyons and the trails are usually well travelled by skiers and snowshoers in the winter. Mill Creek is one. In BCC, you could ski up Cardiff Fork. Also, up Day's Fork (there's a short steep section not too far from the Spruces parking lot at the bottom of the canyon). Silverfork from the bottom, too, especially by parking at Solitudes lower lot (back end, then cross a ski run or two, and hit the cabin access road, then the traiil spits off that).

Folks ski up from the White Pine trailhead in LCC. Also, the summer road above Alta.

You want to mind your avy p's and q's in all of the above. And, some of the trails do get a tad icey and fast.

Seems like the Wasatch Tours series of guidebooks gives pretty good suggestions for the above, too. And, as a bonus, Captain Centerpunch is on the cover of one of them...(along with Steve Lewis).

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Joan
12-11-2007, 01:43 PM
You're right it was Mill B (I knew it was Mill something) that I ran. Where is Mill Creek Canyon?

Bad Karma
12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
You're right it was Mill B (I knew it was Mill something) that I ran. Where is Mill Creek Canyon?

3800 South

TreeHugger
12-12-2007, 11:21 AM

3800 South

Mill Creek Canyon is actually a road. About half way up Mill Creek Canyon they gate the road for the last 5 miles for skiing/ snowshoeing/ hiking. Odd calendar days are dog days though (off leash) and they can be a real pain, so go on even days.

Brian in SLC
12-12-2007, 03:33 PM

3800 South

Mill Creek Canyon is actually a road. About half way up Mill Creek Canyon they gate the road for the last 5 miles for skiing/ snowshoeing/ hiking. Odd calendar days are dog days though (off leash) and they can be a real pain, so go on even days.

Or, a canyon with a road up part of it.

Its basically the next drainage to the north of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Apex of which kinda sits behind (west of) the Canyons/Wolf Mountain/Park West ski area. So, if you went up Mill D North, dropped into Dog Lake, you'd be in the Mill Creek Canyon drainage. If you hooked a right at the trail junction, went to Desolation Lake, then up to the ridge top on the border with Beartrap, then you'd be looking to the right down to the Park City area, and ahead towards Murdock Peak into Mill Creek Canyon.

COME. City Creek odd, Mill Creek even, for bikes.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC