PDA

View Full Version : Lens compatability?

fishhawk
12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I have a Nikon N65 SLR camera with a tamron AF75-300mm lens. I want to purchase a digital Nikon D40x but am wondering if my lens will work with the digital camera? The box that the lens came in says: for Nikon AF-D compatible. Does that D stand for digital? I'm not too informed when it comes to the technicalities of photography. I'd just like to save a few hundred bucks and just buy the camera body. Thanks for any info.

hallkc
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I have the D40x. It's a great little camera, small and light with plenty of features. There are draw-backs though. It does not have a lens focus drive motor built into the body, so it can only "Auto-Focus" with lenses labeled AF-S or AF-I. (AF-S and AF-I lenses have a motor built into them)

Your AF or AF-D compatible lens will fit on the camera, but you will have to manual-focus. You should still be able to meter through an AF-D lens. All new Nikon lenses incorporate the "D" technology, so Nikon just stopped marking it on them.

Here is a good explination of the lens compatibilities:

http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

I also recommend taking a look at www.dpreview.com
They have very detailed reviews of every SLR out there, and you can do side by side comparisons to help you decide.

I hope this explination answered your question, or at least helped.
Good luck:)

hallkc
12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing...

The D stands for Distance, because it adds distance information to the data the lens provides the camera. (a big deal back in the early-mid 90s)