PDA

View Full Version : Football 2007 bowl games

Iceaxe
12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
I have to say that BYU got stuck with a major dog for a bowl game opponent.... a rematch against a crappy UCLA team (6-6)....

Looks like some of the media agree:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=746757

Conversely I think Utah got a great deal for a game and opponent.... Navy (8-4) in San Diego.... Damn San Diego is the largest Navy base in the world... that town should be rockin'

:popcorn:

CarpeyBiggs
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, less than ideal bowl opponent. But, we can't really complain unless we actually beat them... I mean, they did beat BYU once already this year.

I'm actually looking forward to the U game too. I think it will be a nice matchup with Navy.

Iceaxe
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
How does the Las Vegas Bowl end up with one of the worst bowl eligable teams in the country with UCLA (6-6).... heck... even the Emerald Bowl got a good team in the Beavers (8-4).

I do like having the MWC champ tied to the Vegas Bowl because I think they could grow it into a nice bowl.... being in Vegas and all.... but dumping a turd into the bowl for the MWC champ to play really sucks.... I think it's kind of a black eye for the conferance.

CarpeyBiggs
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
How does the Las Vegas Bowl end up with one of the worst bowl eligable teams in the country with UCLA (6-6).... heck... even the Emerald Bowl got a good team in the Beavers (8-4).

All about the contracts, and this year, they were not in BYU's favor. UCLA refused to opt out of the bowl that was contractually obligated to take them, for a couple reasons:

1- They are going to fire their coach. They want a game that is early in the bowl season, so they can start recruiting.

2- Lose as little money as possible. LVBowl pays out pretty well, all things considered.

3- Close to LA.

They refused to take any other arrangement, and since the LVBowl has to take the 5th place team, they basically hand their hands tied.

moab mark
12-03-2007, 12:16 PM
It's to bad The Mountain West Conference has such little clout in the bowl picture, plus the T.V. disaster, and now another wac team going to a bcs bowl. Who would of thought when we split from the wac that nationally we would eventually look like a lower conference.
Plus poor cougar's, they are pretty much in a no win position. Like Dan said, UCLA just wants to get paid, and anything but a complete blow out by the Cougs and the Utah fans will be giving them grieve because we (for some reason unknown to me as a Ute fan) destroyed them. But we have no push over by any means in Navy. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Iceaxe
12-03-2007, 12:50 PM
This years LV bowl is one of those no win situations for the Cougars and MWC.... win and everyone says no big deal, you were supposed to win..... lose and everyone screams over rated. I still think it blows that the MWC's best has to play the 5th place PAC 10 team.

savanna3313
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
And speaking of towns rockin'..........how about LSU IN NEW ORLEANS for the BCS championship???!!!!!

yeehaw indeed! :five:

:rockon: :friday: :clap: :party: :banana: :crackit: :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
I still think it blows that the MWC's best has to play the 5th place PAC 10 team.

I honestly don't mind this. The MWC is 4-4 against the Pac10 in the Vegas Bowl, IIRC. Can't get more even than that... If the MWC wants respect, they just need to earn it. When BYU is the conference flagship, and they continually lose games they could've and (theoretically) should've won, then we haven't a leg to stand on.

For now, I will enjoy the current situation. Then again, I lived right through the meat of the Crowton years while I was a student at BYU, so two straight years of 10-2 in the regular season just makes me giddy...

Iceaxe
12-03-2007, 01:31 PM
And speaking of towns rockin'..........how about LSU IN NEW ORLEANS for the BCS championship???!!!!!

I'll be a Tigers fan for that game.... I despise Ohio State.... Mostly because the Big 10 commish is the main reason we do not have a playoff.

:cheers:

Scott Card
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I'll be brief. BYU vs. UCLA :lame: I couldn't be less thrilled. As for Utah, this may be the second time in history I am jealous of what the Utes have. The first time was the BCS bowl bid. I WANT OUT OF THE MWC! (i feel better now.)

Iceaxe
12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I WANT OUT OF THE MWC! (i feel better now.)

WHAT!!! and give up that great TV package?!?!?!

:lol8:

DiscGo
12-07-2007, 10:41 PM
The nice thing for BYU is that they should win pretty soundly versus a team that already beat them.

I know it is a stretch but I think that is a good reminder of how different teams often are at the end of the season, and just why a tournament is so necessary in college football.