PDA

View Full Version : A budding photographer...

Brewhaha
12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Alright, I know that we have some fantastic (read professional-level) photogs here on this site and I am hoping they can provide some help to someone like me who is wanting to take the next step in photography. Up until now I have been using a point and shoot (Canon Elph 800) which I have really been please with. However, I see some shots on this website that I don't think I could ever get using my little camera. So I am thinking about going to an SLR (is that the term?).

I mostly want to be able to take hiking pictures, pictures of kids and family, outdoors pics, etc. What type of camera do you recommend?

JP
12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
It's all about capturing what you see with a little creative flair. Seeing things in a different light. And just being there at the right time. If ya really want the DSLR, there is nothing wrong with Canon's. From the Rebel line to the 40D. I was just using the Nikon D40 and was pretty happy with it. Did ya ever have a SLR camera before? In some cases the lens you may have might be able to used on the DSLR of the manufacturer. Just keep in mind, these cameras are not maintenance free. Surf the Web for the Canon's, Nikon's, Pentax's... and see which one you're interested in. Then head some place you can physically manipulate them and get a feel how each are and ease of use for yourself.

I'm sure a few others will be chiming in :mrgreen: Maybe Rich will throw up the article on the high end cameras versus the non-high end cameras, pretty interesting read :2thumbs:

And see if you can find a photography class. There's a lot to understanding a camera than meets the eye. Even that Canon P/S you have can allow you to change settings that will net great pics than just selecting a scene mode and pressing the button :haha: It's all about knowing what these things are capable of :2thumbs: