PDA

View Full Version : utah quarter

erial
11-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Got my first Utah quarter in change today. Been about three weeks since the coin was issued. Believe it's the first state quarter to feature locomotives.

I thought Delicate Arch was the icon of Utah, but the Golden Spike apparently won out.

My favorite remains Connecticut. A lovely poem for a mere two bits.

asdf
11-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I thought Delicate Arch was the icon of Utah, but the Golden Spike apparently won out.

Delicate arch is really Landscape arch. The names got switch a long time ago.... or is that incorrect?

Skylinerider
11-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Delicate arch is really Landscape arch. The names got switch a long time ago.... or is that incorrect?

From Wikipedia:

Because of its distinctive shape, the arch was known as "the Chaps" and "the Schoolmarm's Bloomers" by local cowboys. It was given its current name by Frank Beckwith, leader of the Arches National Monument Scientific Expedition, who explored the area in the winter of 1933-1934. (The story that the names of Delicate Arch and Landscape Arch were inadvertently exchanged due to a signage mixup by the National Park Service is false.)

Rev. Coyote
11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Got a picture of the Utah quarter?

Jaxx
11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_programs/50sq_program/states/UT_winner.gif

Rev. Coyote
11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Nice, but I agree the arch might have been better. Thanks for posting.

live2ride
11-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree that most people don't see the correlation with "golden spike" and Utah, I think the arch, or mountains would have been better, but I also see where they were going with the history portion of this.

JP
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
My favorite remains Connecticut.
Connecticut :ne_nau: Why is that? An Oak tree? I'm fully aware why it's on the quarter, but there are some better looking ones out there :popcorn:

The Arch would have been a nice touch.

erial
11-29-2007, 04:51 PM
When you've lived most of your life in jersey, a tree is to be treasured even if its growing on a coin. [/quote]

JP
11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
But you have those tall pine trees down there in North Carolina :mrgreen:

double moo
11-29-2007, 08:12 PM

From Wikipedia:

Because of its distinctive shape, the arch was known as "the Chaps" and "the Schoolmarm's Bloomers" by local cowboys. It was given its current name by Frank Beckwith, leader of the Arches National Monument Scientific Expedition, who explored the area in the winter of 1933-1934. (The story that the names of Delicate Arch and Landscape Arch were inadvertently exchanged due to a signage mixup by the National Park Service is false.)

With this crowd you are brave to quote Wiki.... :2thumbs:

Nice touch...

greyhair biker
11-29-2007, 08:25 PM
just put my utah quarter in the 'board'....oh, this could be used in the NERD thread too :lol8: :popcorn:

erial
11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
But you have those tall pine trees down there in North Carolina :mrgreen:

but now that we northern folk are all moving south, those tall pine trees are getting mowed down. yanked out of the way, as it were.

CarpeyBiggs
11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
With this crowd you are brave to quote Wiki....
Nice touch...

:roflol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXZ5W8lTs

Skylinerider
11-30-2007, 08:00 AM
With this crowd you are brave to quote Wiki.... :2thumbs:

Nice touch...

Well, I'm new here, and I knew it was false. I can find a more reliable source if you wish :bootyshake:

JP
11-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I can find a more reliable source if you wish :bootyshake:
You're just fine, some people here know everything :haha: They're legends in their own minds :lol8: