PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Brick Road - Most Scenic Spot in Land of Oz?

ajroadtrips
11-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Likely one of the prettiest areas I have been. Not very technical, but if you are looking for some great photo ops, and a mini-golden cathedral, this is the place. Big open views.

Full details:

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/north-wash/ybr.html

Enjoy.
Ryan

goofball
11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
sounds nice ryan. any idea how the complex is set up for extended backpacks ? what is your experience on water (or possible water) sources ? lots of stuff to see around there. just like every other spot in so-ut !

ajroadtrips
11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
sounds nice ryan. any idea how the complex is set up for extended backpacks ? what is your experience on water (or possible water) sources ? lots of stuff to see around there. just like every other spot in so-ut !

There is a layer in the area that seems prone to creating springs. The last section of Witch's seems to have such a spring, as does the Emerald City. In Trachyte proper there is a intermittent stream most of the time. So, yeah, I think water is likely FAIRLY easy to find. South of YBR proved less interesting slot wise.

I would recommend just going down Trachyte, hiking out for side trips as you want. If you go in via Maidenwater, you miss the upper/less interesting section and end up in the good stuff, a beautiful wide canyon. It is easy to get out Trachyte on the east side pretty much anywhere you want. According to guidebooks, you could come out of Swett or Woodruff, or out Trail is the way I have done it easily enough.

I have been into main Trachyte several times, it is a favorite of mine, because of the easy access, beauty, and paradoxically, it's remote feel. Only a few miles from the highway, it feels very wild to me. Doing a day trip works, but feels like a lot of work. Backpacking would be a good choice.

goofball
11-19-2007, 08:09 PM
thanks man !

kelsey says trachyte has year round flow, but always good to get more than one opinion.

that area has always looked interessting on teh map, and teh many drives by on teh way to other goals. i bet teh views east from the rim are AWEsome !

enjoy your thanksgiving. :2thumbs: