PDA

View Full Version : The passing of a dear friend

KillEmAll
11-16-2007, 07:55 PM
A dear friend of mine has recently passed. He hadn't been feeling quite right for the last few days, so it wasn't completely unexpected. I went to check on him, and to my horror he had red-ringed on me, right before my eyes. As I think about it now my stomach churns and I get teary eyed. Man, we had some good times together. The hours playing Halo 3 and DOA4. But I had prepared myself for this time, knowing it was inevitable. Fortunately, the proper authorities make it easy to report the death online and should soon be sending me a coffin so that I can mail in the carcass. Hopefully I'll have a replacement by mid December. No one deserves to suffer such a fate as the dreaded Red Ring of Death. God rest his techno-soul.

DaveOU812
11-16-2007, 08:25 PM
My condolances are to you sir. :cry: I have been hearing alot about this red ring of death lately. It sounds like your not the only one. Maybe you could find a support group or something. Somewhere maybe you can let these feelings out and mooch off a friend for some time.

Brewhaha
11-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Hey, we recently suffered the 3-red light ring of death. After a little digging it seems that MS is extending all warranties to 3 years at no charge because so many people have complained. The announcement is on the MS site. I have yet to call in to really see if it is true but it may not be all bad. Have hope and faith. Also, let me know how it turns out for you.

asdf
11-16-2007, 09:23 PM
I got the ring of death 5 months ago. I sent my console in for repair and it took 33 days to get back to me. Sucked big time.
Long story short ... they keep sending me repaired xbox 360's.. so far I have 3. I even sent one of them back.... and they sent me back a fourth one. :ne_nau:

KillEmAll
11-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey, we recently suffered the 3-red light ring of death. After a little digging it seems that MS is extending all warranties to 3 years at no charge because so many people have complained. The announcement is on the MS site. I have yet to call in to really see if it is true but it may not be all bad. Have hope and faith. Also, let me know how it turns out for you.

Yeah, they are actually really good about it. I didn't have to show a receipt or anything. I just went to their website, entered my serial # and they have a box to return it in on the way, postage paid and all. Seems they are getting pretty efficient with it considering all the experience they have. This is why Microsoft took a $1 billion dollar hit earlier this year. Estimates are that over 30% are failing. I hope they replace it with the newer model that doesn't have these issues, but I'm sure I'll get an older one again.

I got the ring of death 5 months ago. I sent my console in for repair and it took 33 days to get back to me. Sucked big time.
Long story short ... they keep sending me repaired xbox 360's.. so far I have 3. I even sent one of them back.... and they sent me back a fourth one. :ne_nau:

Sweet, hope they sign me up for the xbox of the month club too.

asdf
11-17-2007, 11:24 AM
You will get a new or refurbished 360 it will NOT be the same console you sent it. If you dont already have an HDMI port dont expect to get a one on your new box.

Have you tried the Towel Trick? If you leave your ring of death 360 on for about 10 min wrapped tightly in a towel it will heat up and resolder the bad connections on the board that cause the failed in the first place.
If you get the ROD RMA it... but this could buy you some playing time IF it works for you.

I have been passing around my 'extra' 360s around to all the guys at work that have had the ROD... this way they dont have any down time while their 360's are in for repair. .. .. MY little way of giving back

Brewhaha
11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Summit,

What do you mean that they have sent you 3 xboxes? Do you mean you sent back the first, got a second. Then sent back the second and got a third, etc. Or did you just send in one and they keep sending you more?

I read about the towel trick and it sounded a bit frightening to me. I also read about the eraser trick (replaced rubber chip coverings with erasers) but luckily stumbled on the return policy before I started tearing into the box.

asdf
11-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Or did you just send in one and they keep sending you more?

They kept sending them... every 30 days or so. Two of them were sent priority over night :roflol: I spent a total of 3 hours on the phone with them trying to be honest and sort it out. When I did send one back, they just sent be back another referb.

I read about the towel trick and it sounded a bit frightening to me.
As soon you break the seal over one of the case screws you warranty is done for. The thing about the towel trick is that you dont have to open it up. So you can play for a bit while you wait for your shipping xbox from MS.

brookiekiller
11-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I wish I could have the problem of too many Xboxes. I had to send mine in twice - and the first time they sent me a coffin without the shipping label - I was without for over a month - the first time I got my original box back. The second time I got a different box.