PDA

View Full Version : Little Creek ATV damage

Sombeech
11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Just thought I'd share with you this thread on UMB. It's totally derailed, emotional, and hilarious; but still some info on the ATV damage there.

Try to stay focused.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3877

asdf
11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I am pissed you want to ban alcohol.......

Sombeech
11-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I am pissed you want to ban alcohol.......

It's the only way, man.

asdf
11-08-2007, 12:10 PM
you could just ban atvs

Sombeech
11-08-2007, 12:20 PM
and guns.

That's the thing people don't understand, ATVs are banned from singletrack already.

Skylinerider
11-08-2007, 12:27 PM
and air.

A man can't breath; he can't ride.

asdf
11-08-2007, 12:51 PM
but i use air my bike tires... I guess i could fill them with alcohol, if thats ok with you beech.

Sombeech
11-08-2007, 04:06 PM
but i use air my bike tires... I guess i could fill them with alcohol, if thats ok with you beech.

That's crossing the line.

scoutabout
11-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Uh, wow. What did it look like before? I'm having a hard time seeing the damage? It looks like a lot more than one ATV. It would take quite a few runs to turn a single track into such a well defined two-track as seen in the photos.

ExpUt
11-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Ditto... scoutabouts comments.

Regardless, I didn't waste my time reading past page one, but everything I read indicated it was a legal SAR effort... did I miss something?

Edit, my curiosity got the cat... I read it all.

Sombeech, great comments by the way... "charging for rail" just cracked me up :haha:

Sombeech
11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah, they just saw some tracks, and classified it as damage. I was down there this weekend, and there's a rock quarry in the area. I'm starting to think it was a bobcat trail, judging by the tire width and tracks.

bbennett
11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm starting to think it was a bobcat trail, judging by the tire width and tracks.

I thought it was a tractor :haha:

live2ride
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I just get sick of the complaining in this thread on UMB.com. I would much rather someone get there life saved and ruin a little singletrack in the process rather than someone die. I know we are all guilty of complaining about trails getting ruined and abused but everyone shares a part of the trail and should work on themselves respecting all trails. I was impressed about how clean the J.E.M. trail was, no garbage at the trail head and only a couple pieces along the trail which I picked up and put in my camel back.

moabfool
11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I just get sick of the complaining in this thread on UMB.com. I would much rather someone get there life saved and ruin a little singletrack in the process rather than someone die. I know we are all guilty of complaining about trails getting ruined and abused but everyone shares a part of the trail and should work on themselves respecting all trails. I was impressed about how clean the J.E.M. trail was, no garbage at the trail head and only a couple pieces along the trail which I picked up and put in my camel back.

I was out there two weeks ago and saw the damage myself. It was definitely a 4-wheeler. If it was a life threatening situation they would've needed to evacuate using a helecopter, and there are plenty of places to land a helecopter on the slickrock. The ambulance stops where the pavement ends so don't tell me it was a short distance and they needed the 4-wheeler to move the victim that little bit.

So maybe they did need motorized transportation to get the medical personel to the scene. :ne_nau: Did they have to take a 4-wheeler? What's wrong with a motorcycle? The problem with taking a 4-wheeler is that now every yahoo on a 4-wheeler is going to see the tracks and follow the trail. Just a few passes caused some pretty heavy damage. Unless something is done and quick things will go to crap and nothing will stop it short of a very long fence (and even that probably won't work).

Skylinerider
11-13-2007, 11:41 AM
So maybe they did need motorized transportation. Did they have to take a 4-wheeler? What's wrong with a motorcycle? The problem with a 4-wheeler is that now every yahoo on a 4-wheeler is going to see the tracks and follow the trail. Just a few passes caused some pretty heavy damage. Unless something is done and quick things will go to crap pretty quick.

You ever try to haul a stretcher on a motorcycle?
:roflol:

moabfool
11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
So maybe they did need motorized transportation. Did they have to take a 4-wheeler? What's wrong with a motorcycle? The problem with a 4-wheeler is that now every yahoo on a 4-wheeler is going to see the tracks and follow the trail. Just a few passes caused some pretty heavy damage. Unless something is done and quick things will go to crap pretty quick.

You ever try to haul a stretcher on a motorcycle?
:roflol:

Nope, but I've seen them hauled on foot. Here's the point, if the person is in enough trouble to need an ATV, they're in enough trouble to need a helecopter. If their injuries are not life-threatening there are other, less impactive, ways to haul the poor dude out of the woods.

bbennett
11-13-2007, 01:39 PM
If it was a life threatening situation they would've needed to evacuate using a helecopter, and there are plenty of places to land a helecopter on the slickrock.

As a helicopter pilot, let me point out that an air evac is not always an option.

moabfool
11-13-2007, 03:47 PM
If it was a life threatening situation they would've needed to evacuate using a helecopter, and there are plenty of places to land a helecopter on the slickrock.

As a helicopter pilot, let me point out that an air evac is not always an option.

I am aware, but in that area it's your most likely form of evac for a critical patient. I remember thinking that if any of us got hurt and we had to call 9-1-1 (cell phones work really well on Little Creek Mtn) I would just have them send the helecopter. The GPS says we're here. Most people probably won't be mountain biking if conditions are too poor to fly.

At my last employer they wouldn't even call for the ambulance. It took 45 minutes to get out there. The EMT on duty was told to just call for the helecopter.

We almost had to have one of my friends taken out by helecopter. My friend broke three vertabrae sledding up Farmington Canyon. The SAR guys called for the ambulance. Sorry, the ambulance won't leave the pavement, we'll send Life Flight. Never mind, we can't send Life Flight either because it's too cloudy.

They wraped her in foam and slid her into the bed of a pickup truck. When we got to the pavement they transferred her to the ambulance. You would've thought there was a terrorist attack. I didn't even count all the emergeny vehicles. There were about half a dozen sheriff's EMT's, three or four fire trucks, a couple ambulances, and an unholy load of sheriff's deputies, all for one girl with some fractured vertabrae. It made me wonder what would happen if there were an emergency somewhere else. With all the response vehicles in the canyon who was watching the valley? But that's another topic.

live2ride
11-13-2007, 07:02 PM
I think that it is a valid point that you should just send in the hellicopter for the "rescue" portion; however, the searching of someone lost usually involves persons riding ATV's, I know motorcycles would pose less of an impact on the enviormentl nonetheless, a four wheeler is much easier to ride for most people and is what most SAR teams utilize in backcountry rescues due to some of the points made in earlier posts regarding evacuating someone. Also time is usually a major factor in a rescue and the more supplies present when an injured or lost person is located, the better. Should the BLM or the SAR team or even the vicitm which caused the catastrophy be required to do some trail work after some sort of rescue to deter other jack asses from following in the new tracks?

Sombeech
11-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Just keep one thing in mind:

ATVs are already banned from singletrack, so "banning" them will do absolutely nothing.

There is the very real possibility that these were a couple of 10 year olds on Grandpa's 4 wheelers, just like I used to do.

live2ride
11-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Just keep one thing in mind:

ATVs are already banned from singletrack, so "banning" them will do absolutely nothing.

There is the very real possibility that these were a couple of 10 year olds on Grandpa's 4 wheelers, just like I used to do.

Probably drinking a little bit of Grandpa's old caugh medicine :friday:

fourtycal
11-14-2007, 08:06 AM
on Grandpa's 4 wheelers, just like I used to do.

Did they have fourwheelers when you were a kid? :haha:

do you mean trail 90's :mrgreen: