PDA

View Full Version : Jeep drivers?

Udink
11-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I've found what seems to be a fairly good deal on a 2002 Jeep Wrangler, but it's got some issues that make me hesitant to buy it. It's got a lift and 33x12.5 tires, and the steering on the highway is just awful. It seems slow to respond initially, but shortly after making a correction with the steering wheel, the whole vehicle slightly jerks in the direction I'm trying to steer. There's also a pretty bad vibration at certain speeds, but I'm pretty sure that's just a tire balance problem.

Sooo, for you Jeep experts out there--is that type of steering issue normal? It seemed so bad that I would be afraid to let my wife drive it on the highway, but in town it's not so bad. I once had a stock '88 Wrangler that steered the same way, just not quite as bad, so I'm not sure if it's normal.

Sombeech, you had a similar ride, how did it handle? Anyone else own a lifted Jeep--any highway steering issues with yours?

Sombeech
11-07-2007, 10:54 PM
what engine does it have in it? Suspension lift? If it's 2002, I'm guessing a 2-3" lift.

Dual steering stabilizers will help a ton to take the shake out. Plus, I had a Slip Yoke Eliminator put on mine for the vibration from the driveline. It's a shock on the driveline coming right out of the transfer case. It drove pretty smooth.

Sometimes it's hard to align those big tires just right, so that may be your problem too, although I aligned mine by hand, with a tape measure. 35" super swampers. :2thumbs:

Udink
11-08-2007, 06:22 AM
what engine does it have in it? Suspension lift? If it's 2002, I'm guessing a 2-3" lift.
It's got the 4.0 6-cylinder, and what looks to be about a 4" suspension lift (it clears those 33s pretty darn good).

The vibration I can handle, but the steering is difficult to control, and that's what bothers me most. I think I'm going to try to find another lifted Jeep in town to test drive today for comparison, but there aren't exactly a lot of those around at the few dealerships here in Price.

JP
11-08-2007, 08:45 AM
You have an issue there with the steering. Having the larger tires and if the past owner was wheeling this thing on rocks, airing down, etc. This causes the fluid to really heat up, shortening the life of the stock steering pump. Have you checked the fluid level in the reservoir? Is the level low? Running a low fluid level will have that effect and will shorten the life to the pump as well. Other things to check for wear are the tie rod ends and the track bar itself.

Make sure your tires are balanced properly and all have the same PSI. Like Beech stated, the SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) kit is a good idea. Don't go cheapo, look at something like Advanced Adapters. The SYE will work much better than a t-case drop kit.

Fire Elemental
11-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Glad I happened upon this post!! I just picked up a '91 Jeep Wrangler YJ. It is lifted 6" with 35's. I had the same steering issue from day one, last week. I just went out and checked the fluid level and it is LOW. I will put some more fluid in and I'll bet it goes away!

I will also now be looking for a Slip Yoke Eliminator as that sounds like my problem with vibration.

Thanks, Udink, for starting this post! It has been helpful here! :five:

JP
11-16-2007, 07:05 AM
I will put some more fluid in and I'll bet it goes away!

I will also now be looking for a Slip Yoke Eliminator as that sounds like my problem with vibration.
It may :haha: You still might have issues with the tie rod and track bar having worn ends, your vehicle is older and I'm sure, more mileage.

Here is the link for the SYE AA SYE (http://72.20.96.178/commerce/ccp1212-np231-slip-yoke-eliminator-kit-50-7905-50-7905.htm)