PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering USA Poster photo contest

ratagonia
11-07-2007, 11:35 AM
I want to produce a poster, unfortunately a little too late for Christmas, but... I'd like to open up submissions to everyone, so I've decided to have a contest:

1. The theme is "Water, water everywhere".
2. The context is technical canyoneering.
3. Submissions are limited to 3 pictures per person. Submitter must own the rights to the picture. (Tom may allow certain persons to submit more than 3 pictures, but no more than 3 images from one person will be selected as semi-finalists).
4. Winner will be used for one printing of a poster for Canyoneering USA. Submitter will be paid US$ 200.00 as a prize and for use of the image for the poster (and related sales activity).
5. Four runner-ups will be awarded a US$ 50.00 gift certificate at Canyoneering USA.
6. Tom will select 15-20 semi-finalists and put them up for a vote on the Canyons Yahoo Group. Tom reserves the right to select more or less semi-finalists.
7. Tom will select the winner from the top five vote getters. Decision is final.
8. Image must be available in a 2000 x 3000 minimum original pixel size (or film equivalent). Do not submit images for which a "printable" size image is not available. Model releases from recognizable persons are required.
9. Submission: email your best jpeg, longest side 900 pixels, file size no larger than 600kb to CanyoneeringUSA@gmail.com along with a caption, location, photographer's name, etc. Semi-finalists will need to submit a printable version for verification before being listed for voting.
10. Recognizable Imlay Canyon Gear equipment in the photo scores brownie points with me, but is not required.
11. All persons in the pictures participating in technical canyoneering must be wearing a helmet on their head.
12. No illegal activities may be pictured.
13. Submission deadline is Midnight Monday November 26th, in Mt Carmel UT. Voting will take place from Nov 30th to Dec 7th. Final winners announced Dec 10th or so.

Thanks in advance for all those participating, as photographer, model, voter or heckler!

Tom

Jaxx
11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
What size do these need to be in to make a poster. I am pretty sure none of my 7mega pixel pictures will blow up that great. Not that I would win I'm just sayin.

Iceaxe
11-07-2007, 03:16 PM
What size do these need to be in to make a poster. I am pretty sure none of my 7mega pixel pictures will blow up that great. Not that I would win I'm just sayin.

See #8 ---> Image must be available in a 2000 x 3000 minimum original pixel size (or film equivalent).

I know my 5 mp camera takes pics at 1944x2592 in it's best mode, so it looks like you need better then a 5 mp camera to enter the contest.

:popcorn:

Jaxx
11-07-2007, 03:17 PM

See #8 ---> Image must be available in a 2000 x 3000 minimum original pixel size (or film equivalent).

I even read that...Thanks.

CarpeyBiggs
11-07-2007, 03:18 PM

7mp is fine, as long as the original image is exposed well, in focus, etc...

Posters are printed differently then a photograph, and generally require less resolution. Also, posters are meant to be viewed from a farther distance, so resolution isn't as important.

2000x3000 is only 6 megapixels.

Jaxx
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks again sir. I will post some just to bulk up the content but I already know who the winner is going to be.

Iceaxe
11-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey Tom, I have a question. Since I assume this is going to be a promotional poster for Imlay Gear is it acceptable for those with photoshop skills to create a picture/poster? I'm thinking blur 3 or 4 pictures together.....

Are you looking for one high quality picture, or the picture that would make the best promotional poster?

:cool2:

ratagonia
11-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Hey Tom, I have a question. Since I assume this is going to be a promotional poster for Imlay Gear is it acceptable for those with photoshop skills to create a picture/poster? I'm thinking blur 3 or 4 pictures together.....

Are you looking for one high quality picture, or the picture that would make the best promotional poster?

I'm not into the blur. I'm looking for one, iconic image to use for what BD calls an Image Poster.

T

ratagonia
12-20-2007, 06:14 PM

I'm not into the blur. I'm looking for one, iconic image to use for what BD calls an Image Poster.

T

Thank you for all the wonderful entries for the Poster Contest. There
were too many good entries for me to winnow down easily to, say, the
top 10 - so...

Ryan has offered to help me set up a website where people can vote on
their favorites - after the new year. So look for the contest to
continue about January 10th.

Thanks for your patience.

Tom

Alex
12-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Tom, that's a great idea, then you don't have to play favorites with people.