PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Myth or Not?

tanya
10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I have not scanned this list, but other times I have looked at "Expert" lists and they have things on the myth/not myth list that I think are wrong. Is this list from yahoo news right?
As we work to raise awareness of breast cancer this October, a new telephone survey by the American Cancer Society (ACS) shows that a surprisingly large number of Americans still believe unsubstantiated claims about cancer.

The saddest part of this news is that the least-educated and informed individuals are among those most affected by cancer according to the ACS.

Healthy behavior depends partly on a person's knowledge of which behaviors place them at risk, such as smoking, consuming too much alcohol, or overexposure to UV sunlight.

But research also tells us that people sometimes will focus on unproven risk factors while paying less attention to those that are scientifically proven. As a result, the decisions they make about their health may become distorted.

The survey included 12 inaccurate or unlikely statements about cancer risk, risk factors, and prevention. Here are a few of those myths:

The risk of dying of cancer in the U.S. is increasing. False - yet nearly 7 in 10 Americans (68 percent) thought this claim was true.
Living in a polluted city is a greater risk factor for lung cancer than smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. False - but nearly 4 in 10 (39 percent) thought this claim as true.
Electronic devices like cell phones can cause cancer. False - 3 in 10 thought this was true.
Personal hygiene products like shampoo, deodorant, and antiperspirants can cause cancer. False - but about 1 in 7 (15 percent) agreed with this one.
Underwire bras can cause breast cancer. False - 6 in 10 thought this was true.

Most strikingly, the first statement above, that the risk of dying from cancer in the U.S. is increasing, is clearly false - and yet fully 68 percent of the respondents believed it.

In reality, the death rate from cancer has been decreasing since the early 1990s, and the five-year relative survival rate for all cancers combined has been rising steadily over the last 30 years.

And why did so many believe that living in a polluted city is a greater risk for lung cancer than smoking a pack of cigarettes a day? The authors point to studies showing that people who engage in behaviors like smoking or unprotected sun exposure tend to underestimate their own personal risks from these choices, despite their knowing of the risk to the general public.

Here are some other myths, specifically about breast cancer, that I often hear from patients or their family members:

The risk of breast cancer decreases after a woman reaches age 65. Actually, the risk of breast cancer increases steadily with age. By the time a woman reaches 85, her risk of developing breast cancer is 1 in 7.
Antiperspirants cause breast cancer. There is no research to substantiate this rumor, which started on college campuses in 1998.
Most women diagnosed today will have to have a mastectomy as their breast cancer treatment. In fact, less than 20 percent of women diagnosed nowadays actually need mastectomy; over 80 percent are candidates for lumpectomy surgery.
If you don't have a family history of breast cancer, you won't get it yourself. In truth, only 12 percent of women diagnosed with breast cancer have a family history of the disease.
Men can't get breast cancer. One percent of individuals diagnosed each year are men.
Most women who get breast cancer will die of their disease. No! Fifteen percent of women diagnosed will eventually die of the disease, and that figure has been declining for the past 3 years.
The radiation from mammograms causes breast cancer. Oh, boy, that's a doozie. The amount of radiation received in a mammogram is very small and not a risk factor. In fact, mammograms save many lives by detecting tumors early.Women diagnosed by mammogram with stage 0 or 1 breast cancer have a 98 percent survival rate, thus demonstrating the value of annual mammograms.

If you have been hoodwinked by any of these myths, here's your opportunity to erase them from your mind by getting the facts. If someone you care about is confused about the stats, share this information with them and reduce their anxiety a bit, too.

Who knows? You might inspire someone to do the right thing and get a mammogram. And that someone, of course, could be the person looking back at you in the bathroom mirror.

fouristhenewone
10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
seems to me that I've read several studies that have compared women in developed countries where bras are the norm and women in third-world countries where they are not. As I recall there was some pretty convincing evidence for a link to cancer there.

The other two things that I've read a bit about, and seem likely is the connection to over-consumption of dairy-based diet, and connection to I believe, the aluminum content in deodorant?

donny h
10-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Antiperspirants cause breast cancer. There is no research to substantiate this rumor, which started on college campuses in 1998.

I think this rumor started earlier, say 1990.

I've met dozens of stinky women who believe this to be gospel truth, including one in the last couple of years who will never know why she really lost her office job.

donny h
10-26-2007, 02:21 PM
connection to I believe, the aluminum content in deodorant?

I've had various dense girls explain to me that it's not the aluminum, it's the blocking of sweat glands and build up of toxins that cause the cancer, which is why they can't use an aluminum-free natural deoderant.

tanya
10-26-2007, 03:28 PM
I did not read the article for posting it. I did not realize it was mostly about breasts...

But I guess that's not just a female subject. :popcorn:

http://www.welaf.com/resources/files/1108113615.jpg

denaliguide
10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
did you know that 90% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

bra or no bra that's a good question.
http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/bounceometer/shock.html

moderator, feel free to delete the link if inappropriate.

tanya
10-26-2007, 06:42 PM
The guys will love this! :lol8:

and... I bet all choose FF+G --- HIGH intensity! :haha:

donny h
10-26-2007, 07:10 PM
it was mostly about breasts...

Everything is, sooner or later.

donny h
10-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I bet all choose FF+G --- HIGH intensity!

Sure, at first, but I tried them all, and FF+G is funner at the slower speeds, in a slomo-baywatch-beach-running sort of way.

Hey guys, don't forget to change views to the side view.

Virtual boobs are fun. Thanks for that.

James_B_Wads2000
10-26-2007, 07:55 PM
It

denaliguide
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM
James, i wanted to just look away but i couldn't! poor girl probably can't even turn over in bed.

denaliguide
10-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I bet all choose FF+G --- HIGH intensity! :haha:

i'm assuming that was the first thing you did. :naughty:

tanya
10-27-2007, 07:17 AM
I bet all choose FF+G --- HIGH intensity! :haha:

i'm assuming that was the first thing you did. :naughty:

:mrgreen: It is addicting :haha:

I tried the slow motion but it's just not the same. :cool2:

ericchile
10-27-2007, 07:06 PM
My father was just diagnosed with lung cancer last week. Just started Kemo. He never smoked in his life.

For me risk factors make no sense.

Felicia
10-28-2007, 12:37 AM
....for me breast cancer is not a matter of "if", it's just a matter of "when". They are here for a good time, not a long time....... :-)

sparker1
10-28-2007, 04:01 AM
My father was just diagnosed with lung cancer last week. Just started Kemo. He never smoked in his life.

So sorry to hear about your father. Take heart, though, as I have a friend who had lung cancer. After having one lung removed (and lymph nodes), she has been cancer free for two years now and lives a normal life. We'll hope for the best for your father.

tanya
10-28-2007, 05:49 AM
I am sorry too....

But realise that those that grew up when your father did....

....were exposed to 2nd hand smoke [probably] daily. I know I was--- work, stores, restaurants...etc... Smoking is something that just should not be done around those that do not smoke! It should be a choice.

I wish the best for your dad.

ericchile
10-28-2007, 10:31 AM

So sorry to hear about your father. Take heart, though, as I have a friend who had lung cancer. After having one lung removed (and lymph nodes), she has been cancer free for two years now and lives a normal life. We'll hope for the best for your father.

Yea I think we caught it too late... It has spread to his liver. They would have removed the part of the lung, but because it has mataizied (s?) they said it would do no good.

ericchile
10-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I am sorry too....

But realise that those that grew up when your father did....

....were exposed to 2nd hand smoke [probably] daily. I know I was--- work, stores, restaurants...etc... Smoking is something that just should not be done around those that do not smoke! It should be a choice.

I wish the best for your dad.

Actually thats the only thing they can say to explain it. Because it is small celled cancer which usually only comes from smoking.

sparker1
10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Terribly sorry about this tragedy for your family. Wish I could help in some way.