PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Fires on Google Maps

accadacca
10-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Linky (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&ie=UTF8&om=1&msa=0&msid=114250687465160386813.00043d08ac31fe3357571&ll=32.990236,-116.732483&spn=1.442114,1.697388&z=9)

Anybody got some good pix. Tragic deal. :eek2:

accadacca
10-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I hope derstuka is ok. Looking forward to a report from him.

JP
10-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I was listening to some talk radio last night about the fire, the winds are supposed to be dying down for a few days, so hopefully they can get a handle on this. And San Diego County has a pretty neat emergency system that has probably saved a plethora of residents there. They have a reverse 9.1.1. system that will call the homes and warn them of the impending emergency.

Iceaxe
10-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I looked at the map and this has to be right near derstuka's house. Sad deal, 1800 homes burn last I read.

Randi
10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Linky (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&ie=UTF8&om=1&msa=0&msid=114250687465160386813.00043d08ac31fe3357571&ll=32.990236,-116.732483&spn=1.442114,1.697388&z=9)

Anybody got some good pix. Tragic deal. :eek2:

Yeah. Here are a couple of pics of two different fires as viewed from my boss's house! Sux. Down here where I live & work, which is at least 30 miles from the Santiago fire, the air is thick with ash and smoke.

I really feel for people who're closer/in the line of fire! Hope they get it all under control soon.

~Randi

Note from Mod: See randi's orginal pics below in smaller (Human?)scale.

Iceaxe
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks Randi :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Holy Smokes! Those pictures are intense. I hate feeling so helpless in situations like this. Hope the loss of human life is minimal...

I reposted the pictures to be smaller so we can see them better on a normal screen.

Iceaxe
10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
A friend in San Deigo sent this to me..... pretty interesting....

Note to Stefan: This is unofficial hearsay.... please read at your own risk.

The fires in the entire San Diego county area are super bad. We don't have any in our immediate area and are praying that it remains that way. The scary thing is that the winds are blowing embers around and fires are just popping up all over the place. We are in a good area, though, with regard to the current fires. (We'll keep you guys posted, of course, if anything changes.)

As of now, there have been about 25 injuries, mostly all of them burns (three critical) and one death. Craig thinks he may know the man who died, but isn't sure about it yet. Tomorrow's news coverage may give more insight into the man's identity.

There have been NO network shows on TV ..... not even things like the Today Show or national nightly news. It's 100% fire information on ABC,NBC and CBS here. They have information running along the bottom of the screen with addresses of homes that have burned down, school closures, evacuation orders, road closures, etc. Of course, they have reporters all over the place with live-shots and you can just watch places catch fire and burn up right in front of your eyes. It's just surreal.

One of the many places in the county that's been set up to shelter large animals and livestock is at the parking lot of a mall I go to often (in El Cajon, about 5 miles east of here). I'm trying to picture cows, horses, llamas, sheep and goats in the mall parking lot! There are an incredible number of livestock shelters being established... Home Depot parking lots.. you name it. There are also places offering parking lots for RV's, boats, etc. Most of the "people" shelters are providing areas for housepets, also.

For people, there are many, many shelters opening every hour or so. Since the fires are still very active and growing, the officials keep having to establish more shelter areas. The biggest ones are at Del Mar Fairgrounds and also at the Qualcomm Stadium (about three miles west of here). They say that Qualcomm can accommodate up to 60,000 people.

We are hearing that 1/4 million people are out of their homes tonight (in San Diego County alone), over 500 homes destroyed, over 100 businesses destroyed. All the city and county schools, courts, colleges and universities are closed. Hospitals have cancelled all non-emergency surgeries. All emergency personnel have been called to duty. Outside help is being brought in from other states and the National Guard is coming in to help with security, etc. The Marines have moved all non-critical aircraft out of Camp Pendleton.

At one point today, they said all of the fire engines but ONE (in the city proper) were deployed to the fire areas. That's kind of scary to think that there was only one fire engine in SD for "regular" fire and car accident stuff. Yikes!

Until today, the winds were so bad that they weren't able to use any air support to help fight the flames. They started today with helicopters and a few of the fixed wing planes. I guess they brought in some C-130's from South Carolina (military) to do water drops tomorrow. They also have a DC-10 that drops 12,000 gallons of water or retardant at a time! Hopefully, that stuff will help out. They have mostly been having to fight this on the ground, by hand and the crews are just exhausted. Many fire firefighters have been injured.

Of course, there are a lot of bad fires up in the LA/Malibu area, too. It's bad all over the place, but we are safe here right now. We are so blessed.

Hope all is well there. There are a lot of people in southern CA that need some prayers right now.

CarpeyBiggs
10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Note to Stefan: This is unofficial hearsay.... please read at your own risk.
You sure you didn't get that off of another user group Shane? :lol8:

Shan
10-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Here's a scary video:

Does it seem like this guy waited til the last minute? Literally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUcCjBrRC_U

CarpeyBiggs
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
That is quite possibly one of the scariest things I could imagine experiencing. The slow methodical pace of it makes it one scary natural disaster. Not like a flood or tornado that is more instantaneous. This one is slow, yet still unstoppable. Scary indeed.

That video literally sent chills down my spine. WOW. :dropmouth:

Scott Card
10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Here's a scary video:

Does it seem like this guy waited til the last minute? Literally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUcCjBrRC_U

Holy Crap! Last second I guess. The embers were blowing all over them as they were backing out. This is a bad deal for sure. I was there in the early 90's in school and I remember the fires that didn't stop in the Malibu area or San Diego area until they hit the Pacific. Not a darn thing any one could do about it.

Iceaxe
10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
You sure you didn't get that off of another user group Shane? :lol8:

Could have.... I now belong to four of them... uutah, Tom's Festivals, Uselessjunk and Single Wing. :2thumbs:

I cancelled all others about 6 month's ago becuase I was spending/wasting to much time on the net.

:popcorn:

Kent K25
10-24-2007, 06:25 PM
I can't begin to imagine how much that would suck.

Brian in SLC
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Was in the O.C. this week...some pics of my flight in and out posted at the below link:

http://www.mtncommunity.org/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=106&topic_id=2932&mesg_id=2932&page=

Yikes...

-Brian in SLC

Felicia
10-25-2007, 07:19 PM
It has been very crazy here in SoCal. We are fine, but the air quality is awful. It appears that it was getting better this afternoon, but stuff is still burning.

Iceaxe
10-26-2007, 10:09 PM
We are fine, but the air quality is awful..

In SoCal how do you tell the difference? :ne_nau:

:lol8:

Felicia
10-28-2007, 12:40 AM
That's just it!!!! You know it's bad when we are complaining!!!! Can you send us some fresh air please????? :-)