PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 rock-n-roll songs of all time

Iceaxe
10-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Rules: You can only pick 5. Throwing in entire albums and whatnot is a disqualifier.

This was not easy but here's mine:

Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
Dream On - Aerosmith
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns and Roses
Hot for Teacher - Van Halen
Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones

:rockon:

accadacca
10-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Back In Black - AC/DC
Highway To Hell - AC/DC
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen
Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses
Gimme All Your Lovin' - ZZ Top

KillEmAll
10-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
Back in Black - AC/DC
Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton
Crazy Train - Ozzy
Johnny B Good - Chuck Berry

Man, 5 is really hard. It's hard to decided what's the best vs. what's my favorite.

greyhair biker
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Immigrant Song -Led Zepellin
Pinball Wizard - The Who
Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard
Walk This Way -Aerosmith
Tom Sawyer -Rush

..yeah, this was a tough one 'cause I consider myself somewhat of a conoisseur. :haha: I could have easily have picked 10

TreeHugger
10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith

I'll think of more.....

denaliguide
10-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Big Ten Inch Record-Aerosmith
Radar Love-Golden Earring
Sharp Dressed Man- ZZ Top
Sultans of Swing-Dire Straits
Bad to the Bone-George Thorogood

OH there's so many more!!!!

madsjim
10-21-2007, 09:10 PM
#1 Echoes - Pink Floyd (progressive rock!!)
#2 Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who (Best screaming in a rock song)
#3 Panama - Van Halen
#4 Touch of Grey - The Grateful Dead
#5 Over the Hills and Far Away - Led Zeppelin

It is way to hard to make one of these lists, everything is so awesome! I like when local stations take a weekend to do "Top 500" lists, but inevitably the top 5 are not what everyone would consider the "best". I am surprised no one else has picked Pink Floyd (only the greatest group ever!), must be the moody 20 minute long tracks! :2thumbs:

R
10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
I have to admit that I am a bit dismayed that Detachable Penis by King Missile wasn't on anyone's list. It certainly tops mine. :wink:

savanna3313
10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Gosh.....this is a hard one. Different eras produced their own classics.

Ok....I can't believe someone else picked one of my choices, but I agree that it is a true classic. :2thumbs: So.........in no specific order:

1. Johnny B Good - Chuck Berry
2. Do You Feel Like I Do? - Peter Frampton
3. Eminence Front - The Who
4. Burning Down the House (live version) - Talking Heads
5. Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi

erial
10-22-2007, 07:37 AM
whole lotta love - zep
purple haze - hendrix
heartful of soul - yardbirds
walk away renee - left banke
that'll be the day - buddy holly

(rock n roll so long ago)

chickenlicken
10-22-2007, 08:16 AM
It's so hard to limit it to just 5, life would be so boring listening to just 5 songs, but here is my list.

Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin
Back in Black- AC/DC
Don't fear the Reaper- BOC
Tom Sawyer- Rush
Fantasy- Aldo Nova

Ask me again in a year and my opinion may change.

DirkHammergate
10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
1 - Sympathy for the Devil - the Stones
2 - Hey, Hey, My, My (into the Black) - Neil Young
3 - Freebird - Skynard
4 - Stairway - Led Zepplin
5a - 7 Nation Army - Jack White
5b - Powderfinger - Neil Young
5c - Down by the River - Neil Young

wojo342
10-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Metallica--------------------Sandman
Ozzy Osborne--------------Crazy Train
Led Zeppelin---------------Black Dog
Pink Floyd-----------------Speak To Me/ Breathe
Eric Clapton---------------Cocaine

Rev. Coyote
10-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Dazed & Confused -- Led Zeppelin
Whipping Post -- Allman Brothers
(edit) POWDERFINGER -- Neil Young (thanks Dirk)
Voodoo Child -- Jimi Hendrix
The End -- The Doors
Truckin' -- The Grateful Dead

bonus -- Street Hassle -- Lou Reid
bonus 2 -- Rock & Roll Fantasy -- The Kinks

(Man, this is HARD! I'll change my mind a few times...)

(And by the way, Bon Jovi ain't close to any list like this...)

Rev. Coyote
10-24-2007, 06:28 PM
3 - Freebird - Skynard

Dirk: You are THE MAN for naming Neil 3 times.

goofball
10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
no particular order -

yyz - rush
dust in the wind - kansas
black sabbath - black sabbath
blue collar man - styx
die eier von satan - tool

savanna3313
10-25-2007, 12:55 PM
(And by the way, Bon Jovi ain't close to any list like this...)

It's the one Bon Jovi song I like. :ne_nau: You can blame Shane........he only allowed 5 songs. There are SOOO many more I could include not to mention those who I consider borderline rock like Stevie Ray Vaughan who's rendition of Little Wing (Hendrix) is the best!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYRzH10L2M

I agree with Hammer in regards to Neil Young's music. I saw you put an Allman Bros song down. Did you see them in concert last time they were in SLC? (Aug 2005) Excellent! Mostly all the old stuff including Whipping Post.

:rockon:

Rev. Coyote
10-25-2007, 01:10 PM
I agree with Hammer in regards to Neil Young's music. I saw you put an Allman Bros song down. Did you see them in concert last time they were in SLC? (Aug 2005) Excellent! Mostly all the old stuff including Whipping Post.

No, I didn't catch Allman Bros. at SLC, but I live most of the time in (yuck) Virginia. I do catch a lot of jam bands, though, as well as bluegrass. Recently, my band opened for New Riders of the Purple Sage, which was a riot. In fact should have included their version of Panama Red on the list. Far as Neil Young, he's my favorite, and I think I've seen his show 6 or 7 times.

Sorry about the Bon Jovi jab. The song you mentioned does kinda rock too, I'll admit...

savanna3313
10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
No, I didn't catch Allman Bros. at SLC, but I live most of the time in (yuck) Virginia. I do catch a lot of jam bands, though, as well as bluegrass. Recently, my band opened for New Riders of the Purple Sage, which was a riot. In fact should have included their version of Panama Red on the list. Far as Neil Young, he's my favorite, and I think I've seen his show 6 or 7 times.

Sorry about the Bon Jovi jab. The song you mentioned does kinda rock too, I'll admit...

How fun!! I like New Riders which also reminds me of another group (mostly popular in the 70s) I like - The Marshall Tucker Band. Is your band a full time project or a sideline fun time?

Rev. Coyote
10-25-2007, 01:44 PM
How fun!! I like New Riders which also reminds me of another group (mostly popular in the 70s) I like - The Marshall Tucker Band. Is your band a full time project or a sideline fun time?

Oh, it's a sideline thing. We're a five-piece acoustic jam band, and do improvisational arrangements. We've got a CD out that did OK for the little bit we produced (no label). Wish I could post a track here, but the file sizes are too big.

(That's me in the middle and my wife playing drum.)

savanna3313
10-25-2007, 04:19 PM

Oh, it's a sideline thing. We're a five-piece acoustic jam band, and do improvisational arrangements. We've got a CD out that did OK for the little bit we produced (no label). Wish I could post a track here, but the file sizes are too big.

(That's me in the middle and my wife playing drum.)

Ask Sombeech how to post a link if possible. I'm sure we'd all like to hear your band. :nod: I think it would be awesome to do something like this even as a hobby. Unfortunately, I am totally talentless when it comes to music. :ne_nau: As my father used to say - I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket! :haha: The fact that your wife plays in your band must help to keep the harmony in your relationship as well! :nod:

btw......the guy to the far left as you look at the photo reminds me of Sting! :2thumbs: I love Sting......but never liked the Police per sa. I found their music rather depressing.

Mtnman1830
10-27-2007, 05:18 AM
This is a hard one...

Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead

DirkHammergate
10-27-2007, 06:32 AM
3 - Freebird - Skynard

Dirk: You are THE MAN for naming Neil 3 times.

Thanks, yes, I remember when Neil rose to the top, like the exact specific moment. I was listening to the same old radio station in high school and the summer before I did my first year in college was 1990 I was hearing these Tunes on the radio that just rocked by this guy Neil Young. So I went down to Tower Records and bought Ragged Glory, threw it in and started hearing all these off the charts rocking songs. About 1/2 through the first play it dawns on me this guy Neil Young is actually the same dude from the late 60s and 70s that had all those rocking tunes but now he's got rocking tunes and its 1990, how can that be? What happened next was what I believe is called a Moment of Clarity. I immediately went into my older brothers storage area (he was in a master program in Florida) and ripped off his vinyl copies of Decade, Harvest, After the Goldrush and Everyone Knows this is Nowhere. That's what little brothers do. I also went back to Tower Records and bought Rust Never Sleeps and Tonights the Night (which happens to be my all time favorite album). The rest is history (which includes about 3.7 Gig of Neil in my IPOD).

This speaks for itself:

http://www.bosco.net/~hhighway/pages/album/index.html

Win
10-28-2007, 06:48 AM
You folks picked some great music. I'll try to pick five of mine:

Soul Shake - Bonnie and Delaney
Midnight Rider - Allman Bros
Like a Hurricane - Neil Young
Riders on the Storm - Doors
Zeppelin or Stones can't pick one band or song

Win

Rev. Coyote
10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks, yes, I remember when Neil rose to the top, like the exact specific moment. I was listening to the same old radio station in high school and the summer before I did my first year in college was 1990 I was hearing these Tunes on the radio that just rocked by this guy Neil Young. So I went down to Tower Records and bought Ragged Glory, threw it in and started hearing all these off the charts rocking songs. About 1/2 through the first play it dawns on me this guy Neil Young is actually the same dude from the late 60s and 70s that had all those rocking tunes but now he's got rocking tunes and its 1990, how can that be? What happened next was what I believe is called a Moment of Clarity. I immediately went into my older brothers storage area (he was in a master program in Florida) and ripped off his vinyl copies of Decade, Harvest, After the Goldrush and Everyone Knows this is Nowhere. That's what little brothers do. I also went back to Tower Records and bought Rust Never Sleeps and Tonights the Night (which happens to be my all time favorite album). The rest is history (which includes about 3.7 Gig of Neil in my IPOD).]

OK, VERY IMPORTANT: Do you have a copy of "On The Beach?"

Rev. Coyote
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Zeppelin or Stones can't pick one band or song

Stones we could try "Miss You" or "Sweet Virginia."

DirkHammergate
10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks, yes, I remember when Neil rose to the top, like the exact specific moment. I was listening to the same old radio station in high school and the summer before I did my first year in college was 1990 I was hearing these Tunes on the radio that just rocked by this guy Neil Young. So I went down to Tower Records and bought Ragged Glory, threw it in and started hearing all these off the charts rocking songs. About 1/2 through the first play it dawns on me this guy Neil Young is actually the same dude from the late 60s and 70s that had all those rocking tunes but now he's got rocking tunes and its 1990, how can that be? What happened next was what I believe is called a Moment of Clarity. I immediately went into my older brothers storage area (he was in a master program in Florida) and ripped off his vinyl copies of Decade, Harvest, After the Goldrush and Everyone Knows this is Nowhere. That's what little brothers do. I also went back to Tower Records and bought Rust Never Sleeps and Tonights the Night (which happens to be my all time favorite album). The rest is history (which includes about 3.7 Gig of Neil in my IPOD).]

OK, VERY IMPORTANT: Do you have a copy of "On The Beach?"

I listened to Ambulance Blues on vinyl a very long time ago and its on the Pod.

Rev. Coyote
10-31-2007, 07:25 AM
I listened to Ambulance Blues on vinyl a very long time ago and its on the Pod.

"On the Beach" is now out on CD, worth the investment. Our band actually covers Ambulance Blues (every now and then, when the crowd is right).

Ride On
11-04-2007, 02:35 PM
1. In This River - zakk Wylde
2.Ride On - AC/DC
3. Nativity In Black-sabbath
4.Cemetery Gates - Pantera
5.Smple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

DirkHammergate
11-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Acca, after my tennis match yesterday afternoon my Pod shuffled onto Highway to Hell. I forgot how much AC/DC rocks. Good riding music especially after crushing your tennis pals.

accadacca
11-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Acca, after my tennis match yesterday afternoon my Pod shuffled onto Highway to Hell. I forgot how much AC/DC rocks. Good riding music especially after crushing your tennis pals.
Sent from heaven they are. . .and riding to hell. :twisted: :five: