PDA

View Full Version : the end of exceptionalism?

stefan
10-20-2007, 09:25 AM
The End of Exceptionalism
Fareed Zakaria
Newsweek

The United States has always thought of itself as exceptional, but nowadays we are standing apart for the wrong things.

Good news doesn't sell. You are unlikely to see a newspaper headline that says no fires in New York City last night. But it's worth pointing out that there are important positive trends afoot in the world. Large majorities across countries and cultures are in favor of democracy, free markets, trade and cultural exchange. If you think back to a generation ago, in the mid-1980s, this is a sea change. Last week's release of the Pew Global Attitudes Survey provides the most vivid evidence of a new worldwide consensus. But

scoutabout
10-20-2007, 07:43 PM
As I've mentioned before, this guy is a hack. He's an opinionist, not a columnist.

[quote=stefan]
The United States is becoming utterly unexceptional on another issue

stefan
10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
[quote=scoutabout]

[quote=article]
The United States is becoming utterly unexceptional on another issue

scoutabout
10-20-2007, 09:43 PM
perhaps you are too focused on illegal immigration? where do you find that "most americans take no issue with legal immigration?" i don't believe that is a correct statement.

I do. Based on my own observation, there is little concern with legal immigration. A quick google search results in plenty of surveys where the average American says they have no problem with legal immigration. That's about as scientific as my backing data gets.