PDA

View Full Version : My first handgun

LOAH
10-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I've run into a sweet deal and I can't pass it up.

I'm spending more time in the deep wilderness every year for fishing and I'd like to take my wife and boy camping in the future, but my wife is afraid of her own shadow. The solution? Get some protection.

I originally thought I'd get a Glock .40 since I fell in love with my buddy's, but the $500.00 (or near that) price tag is a little steep and the caliber isn't the safest bet for taking on a large predator.

Well recently, a good old guy from work mentioned he had an "extra" pistol of a larger caliber that he was thinking about selling. Turns out, it's a Ruger .357 Security Six with a 4" barrel and rubber grips rather than the original wood.

He's bringing it to me tomorrow and won't accept any money for it until I've tried it for the weekend. What a guy.

He's asking $250.00 for it with a good hip holster (brand?).

Check it out...I think it's beautiful:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/justisaurus_bucket/RugerSecurity-Six.jpg

Jaxx
10-18-2007, 08:14 AM
that is purty. I have been thinking of getting my ccp and looking at guns. That is a great deal :2thumbs:

Gutpiler_Utahn
10-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I'd call that a sweet deal there, LOAH. Grats on the find. :2thumbs:

donny h
10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
$250 is a great deal, congrats.

LOAH
10-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks! I got it today. I'll try it out as soon as I can get out during daylight. Will I get hassled for practicing so close to the hunt? I'd rather stay out of trouble.

I just wanted to point out that I realize a .40 is a larger caliber than a .357 (I said the opposite in my post), I meant more powerful but it didn't come out that way. Sorry. I know the .40 is larger in diameter, but has less grain behind the bullet. :crazy:

rooster32
10-19-2007, 12:12 PM
The bonus with a 357 is that you can shoot 38 special rounds out of it.

Cabalas sells (Sportmans doesn't carry them) some 38 special wad cutters which are great to practice with. They don't kick and are pretty inexpensive in comparison to full load 357 rounds. Take your wife to the range and have her shoot it as well.

Good find!

Gutpiler_Utahn
10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
+1 on the 38 specials, however make sure you thoroughly clean the cylinder walls before going back to the 357 mag rounds otherwise the mag brass can get stuck. Found this out the hard way with my 44 mag using 44 specials. :ne_nau:

LOAH
10-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I bought a box of 100 .38 rounds the night before I got the gun. :nod:

My Dad used to mess with us when we were shooting his. He'd load 4 .38 rounds and 2 .357 rounds and wouldn't say anything to warn us. :haha:

"Pop! Pop! Pop! BOOM!!!"

Hehe. Good stuff.

jumar
10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
:2thumbs:

Gutpiler_Utahn
10-20-2007, 10:25 AM
That sounds like my grandpa there, LOAH. My old man used to tell me how he took him and his brothers, made sure they were wearing shorts, and stood them in a circle around a rock, while they were at the shooting range. Then, before they could figureout what was going on, he pulled out an on Colt SAA in .38-40 that belonged to his grandpa and blasted the rock, spraying their legs with bits of rock. With a big grin on his face, he'd say, "And THAT'S why you never shoot a rock." :roll: :eek2: