PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Diesel fun (for my pal JP)

Rev. Coyote
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
JP -- I thought of you when I saw this video. It's kinda stupid in parts, but has a good soundtrack and a Jeep I think you will REALLY like.

Rev. Coyote

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Z-IRm4Wg0Q

cmpbiker
10-17-2007, 04:03 PM
That last drag truck is from Edge Products, they have it in the lobby of their facility on 12th street. One of the trickest trucks I have seen in a long time.

JP
10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey Rev, thanks. Brought a little smile to my face tonight :haha: Where the hell have you been?

Rev. Coyote
10-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Actually I've been on the run from the law over a "misunderstanding." I just missed you guys and decided to check in from a library computer. Hope all is well.

JP
10-18-2007, 06:25 AM
"misunderstanding."
LOL, who's misunderstanding :lol8: All is well here, keep your head down :haha:

Rev. Coyote
10-18-2007, 06:40 AM
JP -- you ever see these kinds of rigs at the events you attend? I wonder what sort of front end mods would be needed to suspend that heavy-ass engine (1500 lbs)? Here's an 89 Jeep, 89 Cummins (5.9BT 12v). Damn YouTube!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fh45CBDc5iw

donny h
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey Rev, those are fun vids.

12v Cummins kick ass, I have a 91, I'll never sell it.

Rev. Coyote
10-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Hey Rev, those are fun vids.

12v Cummins kick ass, I have a 91, I'll never sell it.

Ooooo... a first gen. People go nuts over those. If you ever do sell, don't settle for anything under top dollar. You should see how they run up on eBay. I have an '04 SLuT 4x4 with the Cummins, and just looove it. Had a 97 dually, but it was a nest of problems (except for the Cummins mill).

donny h
10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Ooooo... a first gen. People go nuts over those. If you ever do sell, don't settle for anything under top dollar.

Yep, I'm one of those nuts.

I shopped for well over a year, I looked at trucks in Ca, Or, and Az, I wound up flying back to Iowa to buy mine, and I paid 50% over high blue book value. For a 15 year old pickup.

It's a 4x4 club cab LE, with a 5speed, in the best (IMO) color, grey on white.

You have my permission to bury me in the pig. Please wait until I'm dead.

Rev. Coyote
10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
You have my permission to bury me in the pig. Please wait until I'm dead.

Eerie! I told my wife to do the same with me. But knowing how she loves that truck, she'll flush my sorry-ass ashes down the john...

Got a picture of your rig?

JP
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
JP -- you ever see these kinds of rigs at the events you attend? I wonder what sort of front end mods would be needed to suspend that heavy-ass engine (1500 lbs)?
From what I can see in the first video, the front has the Rockwell axle underneath it. The rear is kind of hard to see, but I'm not sure. It could be the 14-bolt or the Dana 60. The reason why I'm not leaning towards the Rockwell rear, the rear always tracts straight. Rockwells would allow him to have rear steer. Unless there is a point penalty in that competition for using rear steer, that would explain why he maybe running a Rockwell rear and not utilizing the rear steer. The video isn't clear enough in either video to get a good look at it.

:mrgreen: No, we don't see those at competitions around here. You do see some real different rigs though. Some of the moon buggy's (one seater, rear engine) use the EcoTech Turbo engine (Chevy Cobalt/Saturn), bolted to the Power glide (2spd Cadillac) tranny and the Atlas transfer case. This is one of the lightest drive trains around. The key is to keep the rig as light as possible and as close to the regulation weight as possible. I'm still not sold on that rear engine idea, but I know from experience that the lighter the better. Keeping it as low as possible is the other key, that Jeep seems up there. You can tell that that thing doesn't end up on its roof that much, that exhaust pipe would be history :mrgreen:

This is what the Rockwell's look like:

http://www.usa6x6.com/products_and_services/2.5ton_rockwell/TRUCKSTV.jpg

And they will have the axle brake as well, not as nice as this of course :mrgreen:

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/414605/i/jstv_new_products_008.jpg

Rev. Coyote
10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
You can tell that that thing doesn't end up on its roof that much, that exhaust pipe would be history

Whoever posted the video said (in response to the same comment you made), "Yup, your're right all but 1 out 5 times it sheared the turbo off the manifold... new studs and nuts and we were back going BTW- 1 of those events it rolled 7 times end over end with no major damage! except the dirty seats..."

JP
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
All he has to do is cut that stack down a bit with a tip that blows the exhaust to the right, if he just wants it up there, I would bring it back from the turbo a bit and have it blow out the bottom towards the right. He'll keep his cost down :lol8:

donny h
10-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Got a picture of your rig?

Sure, at Flaming Gorge, Firehole area.