PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Fish Lake Hightop - TR

Mtnman1830
10-15-2007, 09:21 AM
I just got back from a weekend of highpointing in the southern end of the state.
We bagged Brian Head, Andy Nelson Peak, Bluebell Knoll, Fish Lake Hightop, and Monument Peak.

This was the longest hike of our weekend. 8.62 miles round trip with 2,487' of elevation.

We left the trailhead at Pelican Point Overlook at 1:15pm. Climbing up the mountain, we could hear elk bugling, so we started using the cow call. We played around with the bulls for a bit while we rested.

Climbing up, it started to snow. It wasn't bad - we were also dressed pretty warm - and we continued up.

Following our gps's to the peak (we were in the clouds up top and couldn't see much) the peak suprised us as it came into view.) There was now about an inch of snow on the ground and we scrambled up the huge boulders to the peak.

It was starting to get lake, and we caught the real trail down, until we lost it again in the snow. After catching up with it once we got down the hellaciously cold ridge, we caught up with the trail and made it back to the car at 9:30.

It was so cold that the water in our camelbacs froze... not the hose, but the bladder! We had two women with us, and we felt bad enough for them - they were scared and cold - we ended up renting a hotel in Richfield before finishing our adventure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K4QK5N86FWw

Udink
10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Wow, sounds like a pretty tough hike. A 4x4 could have cut this hike down to a few hundred feet. :nod: Driving that road in the snow might have been a bit scary, though.

How long did it take you to find the geocache? I was up there last year and couldn't find it, but the guy I was with went back another day and got first-to-find on it.

sparker1
10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Congrats on making this one under those conditions.

Mtnman1830
10-15-2007, 09:54 AM
How long did it take you to find the geocache?

The cache description said that it isn't necessary to find the cache, just post a picture of you. I will change my log on GC.com. We looked for a while, but wanted to get the ladies down the mountain. We were already cold and the wind along the ridge wasn't helping.

RugerShooter
10-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Sounds like you had fun congrats

Mtnman1830
10-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Finally some pics...

Cirrus2000
10-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Very nice - looks like you had a good, busy weekend out! Drag about the camera - I flew into Vegas last week, and realized I left my camera (and bag, and spare batteries, and memory cards) on the plane. D'oh! No luck with lost & found...

Good job on the peak bagging!

James_B_Wads2000
07-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the TR Mtnman1830, I have added it to the Utah High Pointing Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14340).

Sorry I am a little slow to get to some of these.

James