PDA

View Full Version : Famous quotes ---

Pages : [1] 2

oldno7
10-13-2007, 05:52 PM
whats your favorites???

too many to list but I'll start--

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."--Winston Churchill (1903)

stefan
10-13-2007, 06:18 PM
the problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or
cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.
we need [people] who can dream of things that never were.

-john f. kennedy

Felicia
10-13-2007, 06:44 PM
"mine is not to wonder why, mine is just to do or die."

Thumper Rule: "if you got nothing good to say, don't say nothing at all."

The only way I keep myself from getting fired at work.
:ne_nau:

tanya
10-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Mine is not really a quote but it's from my favorite song.....

"Your faith was strong but you needed proof You saw her bathing on the roof Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you She tied you To a kitchen chair She broke your throne, she cut your hair And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah"

greyhair biker
10-13-2007, 07:30 PM
'look up, look down, now look at Mr. frying pan...' Wierd Al

oldno7
10-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Everyone thinks about changing the world, but no one thinks about changing himself."--Leo Tolstroy

Iceaxe
10-13-2007, 07:39 PM
"Everything was fine until I ran out of talent!"

oldno7
10-13-2007, 07:48 PM
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Scout Master
10-13-2007, 08:02 PM
That what you persist in doing becomes easier to do, not because the nature of the thing has changed but your ability to do so has increased.
Heber J. Grant

denaliguide
10-13-2007, 08:40 PM
One man alone can be pretty dumb, but for true stupidity nothing beats teamwork

Monkey Wrench Gang by Ed Abbey

Kent K25
10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
- John Wooden

Sports don't build character, they reveal it.
-John Wooden

He has a LOT of character quotes, all great.

hank moon
10-14-2007, 12:51 AM

Yah, the Buckley version! :)

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Randi
10-14-2007, 01:25 AM
whats your favorites???

too many to list but I'll start--

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."--Winston Churchill (1903)

Hmmmm...mine keep changing. Today my favorite quote is from an ex convict/heroin addict/gunrunner/mafia man.

A little background? OK - Here's a paragraph written by the man, followed by my favorite quote, also peculiarly enough - written by him! :mrgreen:

tanya
10-14-2007, 03:00 AM

Yah, the Buckley version! :)

The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti

You have good taste :five:

For those that have not heard it. It's addictive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx2wqkcQDHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx2wqkcQDHo

Bo_Beck
10-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Not really a poetic quote, but something I'll remember for a very long time. A bit of history to this "Quote". I used to spend time climbing with Ron Olevsky in the desert southwest. One day Ron brought a postcard he had just recieved to the store that I work. He had recieved it 2 weeks after the fateful day. It reads as follows:

Hey Ron- Greetings from Mount Everest. All is going well. Pete and Klev are doing great. We expect to summit on May 7 or so. This Mt. Everest is a big hill. Don't let anybody tell you different.

Stay in touch
Scott

The postcard has a picture taken by Scott Fischer in 1994

JP
10-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Evolution: Taking care of those too stupid to take care of themselves

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

Stupidity is a sexually transmitted disease

Wendy Northcutt

savanna3313
10-14-2007, 08:21 AM
The devil made me do it!!! :twisted:

Gutpiler_Utahn
10-14-2007, 08:44 AM
I don't know if something is easy or not. I only know if I will do it or not.
-Unknown

The number one problem in today's generation and economy is lack of financial literacy.
-Alan Greenspan

People manage money the way their parents did. So if your parents didn't have any money what are you going to do?
- Kelvin Boston

R
10-14-2007, 09:12 AM
"Knowledge itself is liberation and redemption." -Karl Jaspers

sparker1
10-14-2007, 01:06 PM
A calm sea never made a good sailor. Anon.

greyhair biker
10-14-2007, 03:51 PM
'never apologize for integrity'
anon.

stefan
10-14-2007, 05:12 PM
when i'm good i'm very good, but when i'm bad, i'm better.
-mae west

you only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
-mae west

Scout Master
10-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was
Toby Kieth[/i]

Don
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Working on a paper and doing some quote research so I'm going to revive this thread and start using it a lot.
For starters, this from my company commander in Iraq in '03:

[b][i]Just because it

KapitanSparrow
09-16-2008, 10:55 AM
"Every step a f-ing adventure!"
-Al Swearingen

Don
09-16-2008, 10:58 AM
[b] [i]Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose

Jaxx
09-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Not really a poetic quote, but something I'll remember for a very long time. A bit of history to this "Quote". I used to spend time climbing with Ron Olevsky in the desert southwest. One day Ron brought a postcard he had just recieved to the store that I work. He had recieved it 2 weeks after the fateful day. It reads as follows:

Hey Ron- Greetings from Mount Everest. All is going well. Pete and Klev are doing great. We expect to summit on May 7 or so. This Mt. Everest is a big hill. Don't let anybody tell you different.

Stay in touch
Scott

The postcard has a picture taken by Scott Fischer in 1994
I recently got done reading Mountain Madness by Robert Birkby. Scott was one crazy awesome dude. Great quote Bo.

"This plan is so perfect, it's retarded" -Peter Griffin

devo_stevo
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
There is a plan 10 and it's so insidious it makes my butt quake.
-Line from Plan 10 from Outer Space.

The greatest independant film ever made about the Mormon church (if you watch it, it ain't no history lesson, but I haven't laughed so hard in as long as I can remember).

JP
09-16-2008, 12:25 PM
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free"........Ronald Reagan

Don
09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Quote for quote JP.

...no mother would ever willingly sacrifice her sons for territorial gain, for economic advantage, for ideology.
~Ronald Reagan

erial
09-16-2008, 12:58 PM
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms.

- Muriel Rukeyser

Kent K25
09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
There is no substitute for hard work.

- Thomas Edison

JP
09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
No problem Don :haha:

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves.".....Ronald Reagan

Deathcricket
09-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Ohh good thread, I've got two. The 2nd one is really long but a keeper.

God is real, and he's an American!

[quote=Neil Gaiman] I believe that anyone who says that sex is overrated just hasn

Don
09-16-2008, 01:20 PM
No problem Don :haha:

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves.".....Ronald Reagan

Ooooh. I like that one. :2thumbs:
One more?

Protecting the rights of even the least individual among us is basically the only excuse the government has for even existing.
~Ronald Reagan

JP
09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
:haha:

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.".......Ronald Reagan

packfish
09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Live by this my son- don't screw your buddy nor his wife.

Don
09-16-2008, 02:45 PM
New favorite!!!

If we don't stop extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions, then we're going to have a serious problem.

JP
09-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Things changed after 09/11 of that year :nod:

hank moon
09-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Again, this is all a POV. Some like to say "the world changed" but since the world is a POV, all that changed is a POV. This is not to ignore the fact that people died and buildings crumbled, but this happens every day all over the world. That it happened in the U.S. was unusual, but not unprecedented ('93 WTC, Oklahoma City).

Don
09-16-2008, 02:58 PM

That is a fact.
Doesn't seem to change the accuracy of the W statement above though. (...serious problems.)
And just to keep the thread on topic:

America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all.
~John Quincy Adams

Scott Card
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
"I'm afraid of no man and only two women, my mother and my wife" My Hell's Angel-looking client.

Rev. Coyote
09-16-2008, 04:42 PM
"The fundamentals of our economy are strong."

--John "Lumpy" McCain

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

bbennett
09-16-2008, 06:06 PM
You're so pretty when you're faithful to me- Frank Black

abirken
09-16-2008, 10:00 PM

NOW I LIKE THAT!!!!!!

Cirrus2000
09-17-2008, 12:40 AM
:hail2thechief: :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief:

And one more from Chuck (AKA Black Francis, Frank Black, etc.):

And when the planet hit the sun, I saw the face of Allison. Allison, Allison....
OK, so he spelled it wrong... And maybe the lyrics don't mean that much, but such a song!

So maybe something other than song lyrics:

An increasingly pagan and hedonistic people (thank God!) we are learning finally that the forests and mountains and desert canyons are holier than our churches. Therefore, let us behave accordingly. - Edward Abbey

Last Child
09-17-2008, 06:51 AM
A few from the Lizard King Jim Morrison

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."

[quote]

Don
09-17-2008, 07:46 AM
[quote=Last Child]A few from the Lizard King Jim Morrison

[quote]

abirken
09-17-2008, 07:49 AM
And one more from Chuck (AKA Black Francis, Frank Black, etc.):

And when the planet hit the sun, I saw the face of Allison. Allison, Allison....
OK, so he spelled it wrong... And maybe the lyrics don't mean that much, but such a song!
]

I do agree the man is amazing. :2thumbs: And I like this version of my name in a song better than the Elvis Costello. :haha:

Don
09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Ok, I've been posting mostly political quotes as I have been reading a lot of the lately, but I can do the lyric thing too:

Oh, and in your eyes
I see what's on my mind
~Dave Matthews from the song Say Goodbye

I love that.

JP
09-17-2008, 02:00 PM
:haha:

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them away.....Ronald Reagan

Ride On
09-17-2008, 04:51 PM
"I have more than one favorite."
Ted Nugent

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
Ted Nugent

"If you want to save a species, simply decide to eat it. Then it will be managed - like chickens, like turkeys, like deer, like Canadian geese."
Ted Nugent

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
Ted Nugent

"And don

Last Child
09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
[quote=Ride On]"I have more than one favorite."
Ted Nugent

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
Ted Nugent

"If you want to save a species, simply decide to eat it. Then it will be managed - like chickens, like turkeys, like deer, like Canadian geese."
Ted Nugent

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
Ted Nugent

"And don

fourtycal
09-17-2008, 06:35 PM
"Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much"
John Wayne

KapitanSparrow
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Here's one old proverb that kind of falls in the "if it's not one thing, then it's another" category, heh:

"If it's not a curse, then it's diarrhea"

James_B_Wads2000
09-17-2008, 07:11 PM
A lyric one:

"Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand..."

-Rush, Witch Hunt

A great one to heal the divide during this election:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battle-field, and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearthstone, all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."
-Abraham Lincoln

James

Don
09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Seems appropriate:

Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power.
- Benito Mussolini

abirken
09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

accadacca
09-17-2008, 09:30 PM
The Nuge! :lol8:

"I didn't get into Rock 'n Roll for
the women... but I adapted."
Ted Nugent

Last Child
09-18-2008, 06:54 AM
A few from Kurt Cobain

[quote]

FROGGER
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
My sig

KapitanSparrow
09-18-2008, 02:59 PM
"This is a historic opportunity for black people to be misrepresented by one of their own. God knows we

Don
09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Governments constantly choose between telling lies and fighting wars, with the end result always being the same. One will always lead to the other.
~Thomas Jefferson

BruteForce
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
There is no glory in battle worth the blood it costs.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

JP
09-18-2008, 04:32 PM
"Never forget that the most sacred right on this earth is mans right to have the earth to till with his own hands, the most sacred sacrifice the blood that a man sheds for this earth...."

hank moon
09-18-2008, 05:47 PM
A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction. Our military organization today bears little relation to that known of any of my predecessors in peacetime, or, indeed, by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense. We have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security alone more than the net income of all United States cooperations -- corporations.

Now this conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence -- economic, political, even spiritual -- is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet, we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources, and livelihood are all involved. So is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades. In this revolution, research has become central; it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers. The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present -- and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

It is the task of statesmanship to mold, to balance, and to integrate these and other forces, new and old, within the principles of our democratic system -- ever aiming toward the supreme goals of our free society.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rev. Coyote
09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter -- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. ... And one fine morning ---- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

F. Scott Fitgerald

rockgremlin
09-19-2008, 06:44 AM
The man thong is wrong.

-Jaxx

JP
09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
"If a man does his best, what else is there?".....General George Patton Jr

bbennett
09-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I know, when you hear my brethren telling about cutting people off from the earth, that you consider it is strong doctrine; but it is to save them, not to destroy them.... -Brigham Young :amazon:

Don
09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I know, when you hear my brethren telling about cutting people off from the earth, that you consider it is strong doctrine; but it is to save them, not to destroy them.... -Brigham Young :amazon:
:roflol:

Sheee-it. Now you're going to get this bumped into the political section and no one will pay any attention anymore. :nono:

This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no [organized] religion in it.
John Adams

:flamer:

JP
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
"In war there is no second prize for the runner-up."....General Omar N. Bradley

DaveOU812
09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Maybe a little bias here. :nod:

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
GEORGE ORWELL

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
MAJ. HOLDREDGE

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
Unknown

JP
09-19-2008, 11:21 AM
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the
sooner it will be over."....General William Tecumseh Sherman

Jaxx
09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
The man thong is wrong.

-Jaxx

Yeah! I'm famous :roflol:

I think I stole that from someone on Bogley though. There was a thread that somehow ended up with pics of man thongs. Worst thread evAr?

Last Child
09-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Don't know who coined this phrase but I saw it the other day on a Warren Miller ski movie.

Earth provides enough to support mans need but not enough to support mans greed.

James_B_Wads2000
09-22-2008, 02:50 PM
"Why did they write the Bill of Rights? They practically all relate to the way cases shall be tried. And practically all of them make it more difficult to convict people of crime. What about guaranteeing a man the right to a lawyer? Of course that makes it more difficult to convict him. What about saying that he should not be compelled to be a witness against himself? That makes it more difficult to convict him. What about no unreasonable search or seizure shall be made? That makes it more difficult. They were written to make it more difficult."

-Hugo Black
Supreme Court Justice

James

erial
09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades.

--Demetri Martin

Scott Card
09-22-2008, 05:48 PM
The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades.

--Demetri Martin :roflol:

KAH
09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
These are my originals.

"Sex is like pizza, even if it's bad, it's still pretty good"

"Helmets are like condoms, you know you should wear one, but it's more fun to go without".

When riding a motorcycle or bicycle slow, "I don't have to go fast because I'm already where I want to be".

Don
09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
[b] [i] [color=blue]As bad as it was at the end, there

KapitanSparrow
09-23-2008, 06:56 AM
I think one of the greatest things about modern America is the computerization of medical records. As a volunteer sheriff I can look up anyone's psychiatric records or surgical histories. Yeast infections...there are a huge number of yeast infections in this county. Probably because we're downriver from that old bread factory...

-Dwight Schrute

greyhair biker
09-23-2008, 07:28 AM
...'dude...that's my head...I'm so wasted!' - Jeff Spicoli

fourtycal
09-25-2008, 07:17 PM
All you need is scented candles, massage oil, and Barry White. Write that down.

...Van Wilder

Rev. Coyote
09-26-2008, 07:09 AM
"Here's how it works: You don't come to see me? You don't come to see me? Well, we might not see you on Inauguration Day."

-- David Letterman on McCain's cowardly no-show and subsequent lies about his plans to go to Washington.

Don
10-01-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm not going to let this subject slip over to page two.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
~James Madison

accadacca
10-01-2008, 08:59 AM
[quote=Don][b][i]Just because it

Don
10-01-2008, 03:08 PM
[quote=accadacca][quote=Don][b][i]Just because it

JP
10-01-2008, 04:55 PM
"Helmets are like condoms, you know you should wear one, but it's more fun to go without".
:lol8: :lol8: I may use that as my sig somewhere :haha:

trackrunner
10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm not going to let this subject slip over to page two.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
~James Madison

This reminds me of this quote

"When fascism comes to America, it will be cloaked in a flag and carrying a cross." Sinclar Lewis as quoted by Ron Paul

Don
10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
~Plato

Don
10-14-2008, 01:11 PM
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
~Voltaire

LOAH
10-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm sure glad my toilet can't get pregnant!

RedMan
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." -Seldom Seen Smith

Mtnman1830
10-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Mountains, like men, have thier history. They too are born, grow, decay and die. Once cannot claim that, like men, they love, but it is true-and how true-that they are loved.

Felice Benuzzi, No Picnic on Mount Kenya

Don
10-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Mountains, like men, have thier history. They too are born, grow, decay and die. Once cannot claim that, like men, they love, but it is true-and how true-that they are loved.

Felice Benuzzi, No Picnic on Mount Kenya

Thanks, I really like that one.
Tit for tat.

The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth ... the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need -- if only we had the eyes to see.
-- Edward Abbey

Don
10-22-2008, 02:57 PM
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her. - W. C. Fields.

Ride On
10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Remember that time you turned that jack in the box into a crap in the box?

Butt-Head

millsclimber
10-23-2008, 02:09 PM
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." Yogi Berra

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Personal favorite:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

erial
10-23-2008, 04:26 PM
"I'll play first, third, left. I'll play anywhere- except Philadelphia." - Dick 'Richie' Allen

Don
10-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
-Hermann Wilhelm G

JP
10-28-2008, 10:10 AM
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"--- Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Don
10-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Dulce Bellum Inexpertice
-A quote from Pindar, made famous by Erasmus as the title for his meditation on the subject of war.

JP
10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
"When men find they must inevitably perish, they willingly resolve to die
with their comrades and with their arms in their hands" --- Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Don
10-28-2008, 10:49 AM
The worst crimes were dared by a few, willed by more and tolerated by all.
~Tacitus

asdf
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
"We can either have democracy in this country or we can have the wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
- Louis Brandeis

TreeHugger
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Don, seriously, I really love your quotes.

Here are two of my very favorites:

Don
10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks Karen,
I too like John Muir.

Scott Card
10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Good stuff you two. :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
10-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Hippy-dippies! :haha:

I think you know I jest! Excellent stuff, guys.

Don, I think you come up with the best (and most pointed) stuff. I'm going to have to go back to the start of this thread, and take note of a bunch of these. :2thumbs:

Don
10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Thoreau says get the *^%# off your computer and do something:

Men have become the tools of their tools. -Henry David Thoreau

(Thoreau called you a tool. :haha: )

trackrunner
10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
"socialism was the tragic failure of the twentieth century. Born of a commitment to remedy the economic and moral defects of capitalism, it has far surpassed capitalism in both economic malfunction and moral cruelty."

--The late Robert Heilbroner

hank moon
10-31-2008, 05:59 AM
The moment I was born I opened my eyes
I reached out for my credit card
Oh no! I left it in my other suit!
Capital it fails us now, comrades let us seize the time
Capital it fails us now, comrades let us seize the time
On the first day of my life I opened my eyes
Guess where!? In a superstore.
Surrounded by luxury goods
I need a Visa. I need a hi-fi.
No credit, no goods
Call my bank I say
They say we

accadacca
10-31-2008, 11:07 PM

Don
11-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Nothing that I can do will change the structure of the universe. But maybe, by raising my voice I can help the greatest of all causes - goodwill among men and peace on earth.
-Albert Einstein

erial
11-04-2008, 06:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uIbsVx7lAk

Don
11-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with a greater determination. And let us move on in these powerful days, these days of challenge to make America what it ought to be. We have an opportunity to make America a better nation.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Martin_Luther_King_Jr_NYWTS_6.jpg/244px-Martin_Luther_King_Jr_NYWTS_6.jpg

tapehoser
11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Some attribute the quote to Abe Lincoln, but Proverbs 17:28 also gives the same sentiment.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

Don
11-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little. -Edmund Burke

Don
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be.
~Thomas Jefferson

blueeyes
11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Never does a man portray his character more vividly than his proclaiming the character of another.

-Winston Churchill

mills mania
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
"The Mountains are calling and I must go."

--John Muir

mills mania
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing ..."

--Edmund Burke

Don
11-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great. -Niccolo Machiavelli

millsclimber
11-12-2008, 08:52 AM
"One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because he is enlightened."

Wasatch Rebel
11-22-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't know if I've posted this already, but here goes:

Thanks to our schools and political leadership, the U.S. has acquired an international reputation as the home of 250 million people dumb enough to buy 'The Wacky Wall-Walker.'
--Frank Zappa

canyonphile
11-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Love this thread! :nod:

I've read (and forgotten) so many awesome quotes over the years, but here's one I use in my signature in another forum:

Betterment is a perpetual labor - A. Gawande, MD

-SJ

Wasatch Rebel
11-25-2008, 05:31 AM
I almost forgot this one by Lance Armstrong. It's one of my all-time favorites: "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

Don
11-25-2008, 07:36 AM
I love to travel, But hate to arrive.
- Albert Einstein

Don
11-26-2008, 07:54 AM
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson

Rev. Coyote
11-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I almost forgot this one by Lance Armstrong. It's one of my all-time favorites: "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. ...

Hmmm... until "something" takes its place....hmmmmm.....

like $17.5 million/year in endorsements? :haha:

Don
11-26-2008, 09:46 AM
There are no sects in geometry. One does not speak of a Euclidean, an Archimedean. When the truth is evident, it is impossible for parties and factions to arise.... Well, to what dogma do all minds agree? To the worship of a God, and to honesty. All the philosophers of the world who have had a religion have said in all ages: "There is a God, and one must be just." There, then, is the universal religion established in all ages and throughout mankind. The point in which they all agree is therefore true, and the systems through which they differ are therefore false.
-Voltaire's Reflections on Religion

Wasatch Rebel
11-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I like this Albert Einstein quote:
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Don
11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I like this Albert Einstein quote:
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Sounds alot like:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

repeter
11-27-2008, 01:03 AM
One of my all time favorites:

"Candy's dandy but liquors quicker"-Willy Wonka

erial
11-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Every single one of us can do things that no one else can do - can love things that no one else can love. We are like violins. We can be used for doorstops, or we can make music. You know what to do.

Barbara Sher

Don
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
...our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry
-Thomas Jefferson
Taken from the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom

The VSfRF is the basis for the first ammendment of our constitution and is well worth the few minutes of your time that it will take to read the entire document:
http://www.pbs.org/jefferson/archives/documents/ih195802.htm

Don
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-Robert Frost

Don
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
In the desert, especially at night, you encounter the dangers of hard thinking.
-Frank Herbert
The character Duncan Idaho in Children of Dune

Don
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
...Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.
-John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

Don
12-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Our "neoconservatives" are neither new nor conservative, but old as Babylon and evil as Hell.
~Edward Abbey

erial
12-21-2008, 02:14 PM
The best pumpkin pie you ever ate isn't that much better than the worst pumpkin pie you ever ate.

-Garrison Keillor

Don
01-06-2009, 06:20 PM
We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself.
-Carl Sagan

hank moon
01-09-2009, 08:58 AM
When my action is based on an ideal which is an idea - such as 'I must be brave,' 'I must follow the example,' 'I must be charitable,' 'I must be socially conscious,' and so on - that idea shapes my action, guides my action. We all say, 'There is an example of virtue which I must follow,' which means, 'I must live according to that.' So action is based on that idea. Between action and idea, there is a gulf, a division, there is a time process. That is so, is it not? In other words, I am not charitable, I am not loving, there is no forgiveness in my heart, but I feel I must be charitable. So there is a gap between what I am and what I should be; we are all the time trying to bridge that gap. That is our activity, is it not?

Now what would happen if the idea did not exist? At one stroke, you would have removed the gap, would you not? You would be what you are. You say, 'I am ugly, I must become beautiful; what am I to do?' - which is action based on idea. You say, 'I am not compassionate, I must become compassionate.' So you introduce idea separate from action. Therefore there is never true action of what you are but always action based on the ideal of what you will be. The stupid man always says he is going to become clever. He sits working, struggling to become; he never stops, he never says, 'I am stupid.' So his action, which is based on idea, is not action at all.

J. Krishnamurti
The First and Last Freedom, 'Action without Idea' - 243

Mtnman1830
01-11-2009, 06:32 AM
I will write something down when I read a book and then use it for a book mark... I was going thru some books and came across these. Sorry if they are double posts.

Unfortunatley, I sometimes forget to jot down where I got it, and who to give credit.

"You don't have to lie to strangers, just be stingy with the truth"
-Unknown
"The heavens declare the Glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handiwork"
-Psalms 19:1

"The virtues of a superior man are like the wind; the virtues of a comman man are like the grass; the grass, when the wind passes over it, bends"
-Thoreau

"There has got to be a God; the world could not have become so ****ed up by chance alone"
-Edward Abbey

"With mountain climbing, I've discovered a tangible, short-term goal. It's me and the mountain, and that's it. There are no bankers or regulatory officals telling me what I can and can't do. It's just me and my own two feet, my own physical stregnth and my own mental resolve."
-from Seven Summits A. Bass, F. Wells, and R. Ridgeway

"He who fights and runs away
lives to fight another day
but he who in battle is slain
will never rise to fight again"
-Unknown

"There's a race of men that don't fit in
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and the rove the flood
and they climb the mountain's crest,
Theirs is the curse of gypsy blood
And they don't know how to rest"
- The Men Who Don't Fit In

oldno7
01-14-2009, 01:12 PM
"The whole of life is made up of unfinished business"--Wiley Carroll

oldno7
01-14-2009, 01:14 PM
"Don't borrow trouble, Be patient and you'll have some of your own"
Wiley Carroll

oldno7
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Patience is bitter, but it's fruit is sweet---Wiley Carroll

Don
01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.
-Otomo No Yakamochi

Don
01-23-2009, 09:23 PM
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. - Patrick Henry

Don
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
Henry David Thoreau

Don
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: That we are here for the sake of others...for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is built upon the labors of people, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received.

-Albert Einstein

erial
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
"I play Buddy Holly every night before going onstage. It keeps me honest." Bruce Springsteen

50 years ago yesterday, the music died.

Don
03-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Intolerance itself is a form of egoism, and to condemn egoism intolerantly is to share it.
George Santayana, Winds of Doctrine (1913) ch. 4

KapitanSparrow
03-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Some Polish proverbs for ya... oh wait, they're supposed to be quotes... I gotta post after all this typing :ne_nau:

"I Herkules dupa, kiedy wrog

KapitanSparrow
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM

basilone0331
03-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

-Benjamin Franklin

Don
03-07-2009, 06:54 PM
To alcohol the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
-Homer Simpson

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BaLjaaQunTw/SQ8tS5Nr7bI/AAAAAAAAAG4/TNgc7VDPYzQ/s320/homer_simpson.jpg

Don
03-23-2009, 08:19 PM
There is love of course. And then there's life, its enemy. -Jean Anouilh

joja
03-24-2009, 07:08 PM
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -Henny Youngman

Don
04-15-2009, 06:50 AM
...Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.
-John Adams (Second President of the United States)

fouristhenewone
04-15-2009, 07:55 AM
One of my new favorites

Press on. Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge

erial
04-15-2009, 08:18 AM
It's income tax time again, Americans: time to gather up those receipts, get out those tax forms, sharpen up that pencil, and stab yourself in the aorta. ~Dave Barry

Don
07-31-2009, 08:58 AM

Oh I sleep just to dream her
Beg the night just to see her
That my only love should be her
Just to lie in her arms

I know I'll miss her later
I wish I could bend my love to hate her
Wish I could be her creator
To be the light in her eyes

-Dave Matthews, Sleep To Dream Her

erial
08-01-2009, 05:16 PM
If God dropped acid, would he see people? Steven Wright

Ride On
08-01-2009, 08:49 PM
"I get more ass than a toilet seat"
-Nate Dogg

erial
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
You should make a point of trying every experience once except incest and folk dancing. - Sir Arnold Bax

Don
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Pot would be legal is pot smoker activists didn't smoke pot all the time.
-Unknown

erial
09-05-2009, 11:11 AM
School's back in session:

The only reason I always try to meet and know the parents better is because it helps me to forgive their children. ~Louis Johannot

hank moon
09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
The process of thought ever denies love. It is thought that has emotional complications, not love. Thought is the greatest hindrance to love. Thought creates a division between what is and what should be, and on this division morality is based; but neither the moral nor the immoral know love. This moral structure, created by the mind to hold social relationships together, is not love, but a hardening process like that of cement. Thought does not lead to love, thought does not cultivate love, for love cannot be cultivated as a plant in the garden. The very desire to cultivate love is the action of thought.

- J. Krishnamurti

chromehead58
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
go get lost, its good for the soul...b povey

Mtnman1830
09-13-2009, 10:35 PM
"To under estimate one's self is as much a departure from truth as to exaggerate one's own powers"

The Greek Interpreter - Sir Aurthor Conan Doyle

stefan
09-13-2009, 11:03 PM
[i]

Bo_Beck
09-14-2009, 08:30 AM
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." E.A.

stefan
09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
:2thumbs:

Mtnman1830
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." E.A.

Gotta love Abbey!

Don
09-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Better the cold and bitter world with a woman than a paradise without her. -Ed Abby The Monkey Wrench Gang

erial
10-01-2009, 07:15 PM
John Muir once declared that he was better off than the magnate E. H. Harriman. "I have all the money I want," Muir explained, "and he hasn't." - Clifton Fadiman

stefan
10-15-2009, 07:36 PM
"I challenge anybody to show me an example of bias in Fox News Channel."--Rupert Murdoch (3/1/01)

erial
10-27-2009, 09:42 AM
America's healthcare system is neither healthy, caring, nor a system.

-Walter Cronkite

Financial ruin from medical bills is almost exclusively an American disease.

-Roul Turley

I have two doctors, my left leg and my right.

-G. M. Trevelyan

accadacca
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM

Don
10-27-2009, 01:07 PM
One of the gladdest moments in human life is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of habit, the leaden weight of routine, the cloak of many cares, and the slavery of civilization, man feels once more free.
Sir Richard Burton

chromehead58
10-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Cirrus2000
10-27-2009, 03:35 PM
[quote=chromehead58]

Don
10-27-2009, 07:05 PM
[quote=Cirrus2000][quote=chromehead58]

Don
10-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Most men take the straight and narrow. A few take the road less traveled. I chose to cut through the woods.- Unknown

chromehead58
10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
the story goes..Ed was asked, so how do you go on after all the work you put into stopping the glen canyon dam, how do you go on from here? this was his response...

Ride On
11-03-2009, 08:29 PM
"I got hoes in different area codes" - Nate Dogg

"Don't do drugs, don't have unprotected sex, don't be violent... Leave that to me" - Eminem

"Britney would make a better prostitute than Christina. She's thicker" - Snoop
Dogg

Partly Animal
11-03-2009, 08:37 PM
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Don
11-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Eventually, I sickened of people, myself included, who don't think enough of themselves to make something of themselves--people who did only what they had to and never what they could have done. I learned from them the infected loneliness that comes at the end of every misspent day. I knew I could do better. --Mark Twight

Don
11-22-2009, 10:15 PM
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears.
-Glenn Clark

erial
11-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Between 1 and 90, men are like the citizens of Iran: ruled by their nuts.

from Planet Proctor

Don
12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. -Henry David Thoreau

greyhair biker
12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
"Live long and prosper" - Spock :mrgreen: I like Spock...

greyhair biker
12-12-2009, 02:18 PM
'You maybe quick on your feet but you can't outrun even the smallest explosion' - RedGreen

erial
12-31-2009, 07:00 PM
"There are three kinds of people: The ones who learn by reading. The ones who learn by observation. And the rest, who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers (?)

hank moon
01-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Goodness has no opposite. Most of us consider goodness as the opposite of the bad or evil and so throughout history in any culture goodness has been considered the other face of that which is brutal. So man has always struggled against evil in order to be good; but goodness can never come into being if there is any form of violence or struggle.

- J. Krishnamurti

DaveOU812
01-19-2010, 04:22 AM
When white man found this land, Indians were running it.
No Taxes...
No Debt...
Plenty Buffalo...
Plenty beaver!
Women did most of the work.
Medicine Man free!
Indian men hunted and fished all the time!
White man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.

Don
01-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Men have two emotions: hungry and horny. If you see one without an erection, make him a sandwich. -unknown

erial
01-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret.
Every day, once a day, give yourself a present.
Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just let it happen.
Could be a new shirt, a catnap in your office chair or two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
Like this.
- A present. Like Christmas?
- Yeah.
Man, that hits the spot.
Nothing like a great cup of black coffee.

Agent Cooper, Sheriff Harry S Truman, Twin Peaks

erial
01-29-2010, 06:51 PM
That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "F*** you" right under your nose." J. D. Salinger

Don
05-30-2010, 10:06 PM
You said you were married Mr Thomas?

Yes ma'am, lucky for me she left me.

-Ann Langdon playing Marian McCargo asking the question and John Wyane playing Col John Henry Thomas answering in The Undefeated.

Don
06-02-2010, 01:51 PM
"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a woods, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"
Robert Frost

Don
06-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Politics and religion are obsolete; the time has come for science and spirituality. -Sri Jawaharlal Nehru

ststephen
06-28-2010, 09:27 PM
It is insufficient to protect ourselves with laws; we need to protect ourselves with mathematics.

Bruce Schneier in Applied Cryptography

Don
07-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Ahh, women! I never met one yet that was half as reliable as a horse!
~John Wayne as Sam McCord in North to Alaska.

Wasatch Rebel
07-04-2010, 06:28 AM
"We're going to need a bigger boat." Roy Scheider in Jaws.

Wasatch Rebel
07-06-2010, 04:30 AM
"Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

"It is curious--curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare". - Mark Twain

Ride On
07-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Ride On
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
“A weapon is defined by the intent of the person holding the device. A knife is a tool until someone decides to stab you with it.” – Micaiah Paddock

dbaxter
08-08-2010, 10:29 AM
The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men. -Plato

hank moon
01-15-2011, 06:52 AM
"Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Don
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
"Returning violence for violence multiplies violence,
adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

ststephen
01-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Love and only love will endure.
Hate is everything you think it is.
Love and only love will break it down.

Neil Young

hank moon
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.

- Mark Twain

uintahiker
02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
There is never much trouble in any family where the children hope someday to resemble their parents.

-William Lyon Phelps

Maya
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
On my last excursion, a new acquaintance said "on your deathbed you will never say, I went too many places, saw too many things, or loved too many people (*cough* well actually he said "had sex with too many beautiful women)."

I suspect the quote was not original to him, but I can't seem to find it on the interwebs...

accadacca
02-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech, 1941, Harrow School
British politician (1874 - 1965)

moabfool
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
"I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me."

-Dave Barry

dbaxter
02-19-2011, 01:44 PM
"And once the storm is over you won

Don
03-01-2011, 02:40 PM
"Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas."

- Alfred Whitney Griswold, in "Essays on Education" (1959)

chromehead58
03-02-2011, 09:45 AM
It is not enough to understand the natural world; the point is to defend and preserve it.
Ed Abbey

fourtycal
03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Charlie Sheen

"I'm tired of pretending I'm not bitching a total freaking rock star from Mars. And people can't figure me out. They can't process me. I don't expect them to. You can't process me with a normal brain."

"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."

"I exposed people to magic, I exposed them to something they're never otherwise gonna see in their boring, normal lives."

Iceaxe
03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Please be 18! - Ricky Bobby (Talladega Nights)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXxmA-Zpq0

dbaxter
03-04-2011, 06:59 PM
The sin of our time is the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die. - Dorothy Sayers

erial
03-18-2011, 01:31 PM
You know there is a problem with the education system when you realize that out of the three Rs , only one begins with an R. -Dennis Miller

Don
03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
"The death of dogma is the birth of morality." - Immanuel Kant

stefan
03-24-2011, 12:27 AM
The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men. - Plato

DaveOU812
03-24-2011, 03:17 AM
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all."
Marine Gen. James Mattis, in a message sent to Iraqi tribal leaders, August 2006

peakbaggers
03-24-2011, 07:01 AM
'Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it and carry on." Winston Churchill

Don
04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong" Yvon Chouinard

Don
08-29-2011, 08:14 AM
"Many years ago, I climbed the mountains, even thought it is forbidden. Things are not as they teach us; the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."
-- From a dying Star Trek character

kirlope
08-30-2011, 03:54 AM
'Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.' (Abraham Lincoln)

'The Future has many names: For the weak, it means the unattainable. For the fearful, it means the unknown. For the courageous, it means opportunity.' (Victor Hugo)

live2ride
08-30-2011, 09:16 AM
not sure if someone posted but good old Honest Abe said

"The harder I work the luckier I get"

something that has stuck with me for years..

herry1
09-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Mine is God help those who help themselves.
I like so much this Quote.

gnwatts
09-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Bird in hand makes it harder to blow nose.
Confucius

The dude abides.
The Dude

I am not a crook.
Richard Nixon

I am the decider.
W Bush

Don
09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Good for the body is the work of the body, and good for the soul is the work of the soul, and good for either is the work of the other. ~Henry David Thoreau

erial
12-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Christmas is the time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell government what they want and their kids pay for it.

- Richard Lamm

accadacca
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Bad artists copy. Good artists steal.

-Pablo Picasso

accadacca
03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

― St. Francis of Assisi (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/149151.St_Francis_of_Assisi)

erial
03-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most have never happened. Mark Twain

Don
06-23-2012, 09:31 AM
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” ~Helen Keller

double moo
06-23-2012, 12:34 PM
"son of a b... Who moved the couch?
~Helen Keller

Iceaxe
06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!

peakbaggers
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
"If you think climbers fear thunderstorms, try canyoneers!" - Guido

peakbaggers
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Along the lines of mountain climbing...
"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandantory."
Ed Viesturs

chromehead58
06-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Have you heard the Canadian Tenors version of Hallelujah , my new favorite.

My favorite quote...“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourself out. Be as I am a reluctant enthusiast…a part time crusader, a halfhearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it… while you can. While it is till there. So get out there and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz climb the mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards”.....Ed Abbey

hank moon
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
[SIZE=5][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Georgia]

rockgremlin
09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Here's one for all the troll haters:

"Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
-unknown

erial
09-26-2012, 05:57 PM